Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friday grumble - "Americanisms"

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
one thing that really macks me off is the use of the word 'gate' at the end of another word to highlight a scandal. ok we had watergate that started it off but there was a reason WHY it was called watergate ffs.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh yes, that is a very good point, could not agree more. (I think for 'Is it' you mean 'init' which is used rather like saying 'I suppose' or even 'Yes'.

I "get" you but I have heard people say "Is it" as well as innit. Is it is usually the response from the person they are telling the story to whereas innit is the person talking needing confirmation of something. I can confirm that they are twats.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
one thing that really macks me off is the use of the word 'gate' at the end of another word to highlight a scandal. ok we had watergate that started it off but there was a reason WHY it was called watergate ffs.

and use of a word just made up 'macks'??

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I "get" you but I have heard people say "Is it" as well as innit. Is it is usually the response from the person they are telling the story to whereas innit is the person talking needing confirmation of something. I can confirm that they are twats.
i informed my partners son that i couldnt drop him in brighton cos i had to go to see someone in chailey first

his response.....'is it?'

:shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The Welsh seem to say 'is it' or isn't it' in a random way that has nothing to do with the conversation.

'You come from Brighton, is it?'

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You're Rude To Everyone Though, You Big Gay Friendless Plank.

P.S. That Idiot Rimster Was Referring To His Own Earlier Quote Although It Wasn't Very Funny As Usual

Oh look who's here again, Mr Popularity personified. I thought you'd decided to flounce.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You know one word we've forgotten that is creeping in and really annoys many Americans ? 'WHATEVER'!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh look who's here again, Mr Popularity personified. I thought you'd decided to flounce.

She will never flounce. She loves the attention too much. And having no job to go to, she would have f*** all to do if she didn't come on here. Miserable old spinster.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jeez guys, the language evolves, get with the program. Dickens (who traveled extensively in the US) enraged his fellow Victorians by coming back home and using Americanisms such as 'lengthy' and 'influential'. All your Luddite opposition to change is just as parochial and futile ... although it will be a cold day in Hell before I use the word 'upcoming' instead of 'forthcoming'.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
She will never flounce. She loves the attention too much. And having no job to go to, she would have f*** all to do if she didn't come on here. Miserable old spinster.
You're A Cleaner And You're Having A Pop At My Employment Status?

Oh Sorry You're A Serious Actor Aren't You? Did You Get The Gig As "Bloke Playing With Dog In Background" In Your Audition For That Tampon Advert ?

Thought Not. Back To Mopping Floors For You. Isn't It About Time You Gave Up This Acting Dream? You're Clearly Shit At It.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Jeez guys, the language evolves, get with the program. Dickens (who traveled extensively in the US) enraged his fellow Victorians by coming back home and using Americanisms such as 'lengthy' and 'influential'. All your Luddite opposition to change is just as parochial and futile ... although it will be a cold day in Hell before I use the word 'upcoming' instead of 'forthcoming'.

It is not evolving it is seperating into differant dialects and is a bastardisation of the language.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Oh Sorry You're A Serious Actor Aren't You? Did You Get The Gig As "Bloke Playing With Dog In Background" In Your Audition For That Tampon Advert ?

Thought Not. Back To Mopping Floors For You. Isn't It About Time You Gave Up This Acting Dream? You're Clearly Shit At It.

I see you are still NSC's equivalent of Bernard manning, trotting out the same old jokes time after time. Actually I don't clean anymore and haven't for some time as I now make enough money through my chosen profession. On the other hand you sit around all day not bothering to look for work wishing you had a boyfriend so wind your neck in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

'Binfest', however, is DEFINITELY a word that originated in England.

Keep it up, chaps. :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

A least he's not a burden on the state.

English is a living language, and it changes, which is fine. What matters is that you are understood. In particular, that means using the correct register for the situation. We all use different forms of the language - to our employers at work, our grandparents at home and our mates in the pub. They are different registers. What annoys me about the 'all language is fine' argument is that it does not consider situation and register and thus lets people think that the correct or acceptable register for one situation suits all others. That is the biggest problem. The way you talk to your mates should not automatically be considered the correct way to talk to someone serving you or the correct way to write an English GCSE essay.

For the record, 'innit' is British English, specifically a loanword (bastardised) from Hindi. It's not found in India, only in Britain.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
English is a living language but why does it have to be chavs, thick airheaded teenagers and poor people that choose how it evolves? Let some educated, wealthy people to do it innit.

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
English is a living language, and it changes, which is fine. What matters is that you are understood. In particular, that means using the correct register for the situation. We all use different forms of the language - to our employers at work, our grandparents at home and our mates in the pub. They are different registers. What annoys me about the 'all language is fine' argument is that it does not consider situation and register and thus lets people think that the correct or acceptable register for one situation suits all others. That is the biggest problem. The way you talk to your mates should not automatically be considered the correct way to talk to someone serving you or the correct way to write an English GCSE essay.

For the record, 'innit' is British English, specifically a loanword (bastardised) from Hindi. It's not found in India, only in Britain.
is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here