Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friday grumble - "Americanisms"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally, I hate it when people use "Z" (zee) in words like organize (organise), energize, organization ........

:rant:
But the Oxford English dictionary spells these words with a zed - and that's good enough for me.

Surely the use of words like center, flavor, and tire are the reasons to get ANGRY?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I get very annoyed at the Yoof talking like 70 year old black men from Barbados when they come from some toss-hole like Croydon. Y'get me?

I also hate

Chav 1 - "I got arrested for robbing up Greggs"
Chav 2 - "Is it?"

What the f*** does that mean "is it"?

Overheard on the bus once: "I is going college innit."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But the Oxford English dictionary spells these words with a zed - and that's good enough for me.

Surely the use of words like center, flavor, and tire are the reasons to get ANGRY?

favorite, trunk not boot, hood not bonnet, color

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Double negatives are the thing that get me.

"I haven't done nothing wrong."

The problem is that in TV programmes such as Eastenders etc. the use of the English language is so SHOCKING, that our children (and their parents) think this is correct.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sometimes.

I'm all like 'yo, wassup star, i'm straight chillin ya get meh, roll round. Aight, holla at ya boy then. Seen.'

What's wrong with 'good morning' and a firm handshake?

alan.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Double negatives are the thing that get me.

"I haven't done nothing wrong."

The problem is that in TV programmes such as Eastenders etc. the use of the English language is so SHOCKING, that our children (and their parents) think this is correct.

There was a post from a Leeds fan on another forum...

"I ain't not never been to London Road before"

It took me a while to work out whether he had been there or not.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I get very annoyed at the Yoof talking like 70 year old black men from Barbados when they come from some toss-hole like Croydon. Y'get me?

I also hate

Chav 1 - "I got arrested for robbing up Greggs"
Chav 2 - "Is it?"

What the f*** does that mean "is it"?

Oh yes, that is a very good point, could not agree more. (I think for 'Is it' you mean 'init' which is used rather like saying 'I suppose' or even 'Yes'.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I really hate "can I GET a" annoys me a lot.

But something that is tight on my tits right now stems from the Americans unwillingness to adopt proper English. We use a CRM program from which we generate quotations for our customers, it uses the Crystal Reports program for the actual PDF document production.

So, I create a quote, and produce a PDF file for emailing, and name it something like;

Ref 1421 BHA Stadium signage QUOTATION Rev A 20 June 08.pdf

And click "save"

When I retrieve the document to email it is now called;

ref 1421 bha stadium signage quotation rev a 20 june 08.pdf

Crystal Reports response, "We don't see the need to change this, if it is so important to you, you can just edit the file name afterwards"

Why should I have to do that? Just because they have a piss poor grasp of the use of English.

Now call me old fashioned, but I would be pissed off if I received a document that was apparently typed by a 13 year old using no capitalisation, not recognising Proper Nouns etc. (reminds me of some NSCers actually)

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Mark Bright very annoying on MOTD last night ending his sentences with 'for me'.

As in "Ronaldo is playing too deep, for me" He's not playing for you, idiot!!!

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Do tell !!! I have had occasion to be rude to Americans in my time but it's yet to get me fired.
You're Rude To Everyone Though, You Big Gay Friendless Plank.

P.S. That Idiot Rimster Was Referring To His Own Earlier Quote Although It Wasn't Very Funny As Usual

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"i guess". should be "i reckon". Reckon is being squezzed out of our language between "guess" and "suppose". stand up and use "reckon" today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here