Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frankie Boyle

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Its a tough one, I saw him live at Hammersmith Apollo a couple of weeks back, was very funny, but you can defiantly see why people would get offended. He was very rude, and maybe some people thought he overstepped the mark a bit, and maybe some of his jokes were a bit too offensive, although that is why he has made his name.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Don't find him particularly funny myself but the thing I dislike him for the most is that he seems to think he's some sort of comedic genius rather than his generations Jim Davidson.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Jokes about disabled kids aren't really on, the Afghanistan joke isn't racist at all and makes a real point.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me Frankie Boyle works on Mock The Week because there's him and 6 other comedians, so his shock humour is counterbalanced by the others "keeping it light".

I was looking forward to his solo series but switched over after 4 or 5 minutes because the material was predictable and just not funny. I think he can do a lot better than this.

Having read his book "My Shit Life So Far" you realise he is quite a genuinely dark character and has certainly partaken of his fair share of drugs along the way. The book was bipolar: when it was funny it was laugh out loud stuff, but parts of it were self-indulgent and tedious.

Hopefully, he'll get this phase out of his system, use the shock humour more sparingly and get a better balance in his act.

As for the Daily Mail, what a bunch of wankers. Like Roy Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning you know what you get with Frankie Boyle. The clue's in the name - Tramadol Nights.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What was it?

It was this

During the programme, and referring to the war in Afghanistan, Boyle said: "Basically, we are murdering a load of shepherds. What gets me is our callousness as a society when we read out our dead on the news first, because our lives are more important. Other people's aren't worth as much."

He then adopted a newsreader's tone, saying: "A bomb went off in Kandahar today, killing two British servicemen, three UN relief workers and a whole bunch of Pakis."

"The Ministry of Defence? At least in the old days we were honest, it was the Ministry of War. 'Hello Ministry of War, department of ****** bombing, how can I help?'"

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
What was it?

I like Frankie Boyle, best comedian out there for me.

This - The thing that annoys me is that he has made his name in dark humour and they even have warnings before the program starts warning the viewers that the program may contain stuff which they will find offensive, yet they continue to watch and then bloody moan!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It was front page of the mirror today, not quite the daily mail. I'd be more inclined to think it has humour if he actually believed it, but he's got a reputation to shock and so shock he must.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
For me Frankie Boyle works on Mock The Week because there's him and 6 other comedians, so his shock humour is counterbalanced by the others "keeping it light".

I was looking forward to his solo series but switched over after 4 or 5 minutes because the material was predictable and just not funny. I think he can do a lot better than this.

Having read his book "My Shit Life So Far" you realise he is quite a genuinely dark character and has certainly partaken of his fair share of drugs along the way. The book was bipolar: when it was funny it was laugh out loud stuff, but parts of it were self-indulgent and tedious.

Hopefully, he'll get this phase out of his system, use the shock humour more sparingly and get a better balance in his act.

As for the Daily Mail, what a bunch of wankers. Like Roy Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning you know what you get with Frankie Boyle. The clue's in the name - Tramadol Nights.

I've not read the book but i was going to say the same thing only probably an awful lot worse than how you've put it. I fuckin love a good bit of shock humour as much as the next bloke but when the whole lot is so extreme it all just blends into itself. For the record I have no problem whatsoever with the joke in question

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How tame. Basically that's not an offensive joke, it's just got an offensive word in it. But if you watch Frankie Boyle you can have a fair guess that some of those might be included. What a fuss about a load of old shit.

I agree with you entirely, but you can't expect the Daily Mail, it's readers, or the 'Kulture' secretary to understand the difference though. They're too busy twitching the curtains and working themselves up into a sense of righteous indignation to see the wood for the trees.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Paraphrase a Boyle joke...'If any asylum seeker wants to live in Preston, let them. Its f**king worse than any war torn, third world country they have just left'.

Genius! If you don't like him, turn over. Its all about choices, no one is making people watch him Clockwork Orange styley.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I used to like him a lot, but now he doesn't have as many good jokes and it's all a bit predictable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here