Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FPC Snipers Are Off Again?!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But equally, he knew the constrants when he took on the job.
I suppose so. Point taken. But in your line of work, have you ever delivered something later than you originally thought? And does that mean you're crap at your job? I would say not.

In the end, like you, I'm not really arguing. I don't know enough about Perry or the obstacles he faced to form a true opinion. And as for the stadium, I honestly don't give a toss whether it's built in 2 or 4 years time any more - especially if it looks like it does in the pictures. :drool:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The club have allowed themselves to be pushed around by no marks. If you deny that then you really are a class A berk!
The secretary of state? Or Lewes District Council? I don't claim to be an expert on the planning process, but I'm not a class A berk either (maybe a B or a C), but isn't the whole point of the set up that every planning authority concerned gets an even say? LDC played that system to delay the process but I don't see what the club could have done to stop that? It may seem obvious to an intelligent and perceptive man such as yourself but still I'd be most grateful if you could explain it to me.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Right I'm going to say this once and only once as I've got some work to do and I'm getting bored of repeating myself!

Is there a football ground at Falmer? No! - this is true but the actual answer is "not yet, but there will be". You might as well ask "have I gone on my summer holiday?" to which the answer is "no, but I will be going later".
Has it taken nearly a decade to achieve no football ground at Falmer? Yes! - this is also true but for well documented reasons in this thread and numerous others which are too long to document here.
So what exactly has Martin Perry DELIVERED? f*** ALL apart from a huge debt for the club! - I think it is called project managing the stadium and getting (note the tense) the stadium built. I don't think you can blame the debt on Mr Perry either. That comes down more to cash flow, planning delays, sale of previous ground, Gillingham, Withdean, cost of steel, cost of construction, interest rates, running costs of footbal club, the growth of the Chinese economy driving up steel prices (see new Liverpool stadium) etc etc.
What's going to happen to Perry when the stadium gets built? Who knows! - who cares. It is nobody's business but his own. What does it matter what he does after the stadium is built. His current job is to deliver Falmer which is what he is doing (and strangely enough he is be paid to do his job).
So is it in his interest to string it out for as long as possible? YES! - Actually no because if he wants a career after this (with BHA or elsehere), he has to demonstrate that he has actually achieved something positive, which "string(ing) it out for as long as possible" does not in fact look good on his CV - apart from the fact that that is a potentially libellous statement.
You've only got to look at the form of the project for your evidence. - I don't understand this statement. what do you mean by "the form of this project"?

Martin Perry is money motivated, he has no interest in football or Brighton & Hove Albion anyone who has ever met the guy could tell you that. - I haven't met him, but I don't see what relevance meeting him would bring to your argument. I suggest you need to back that statement up with some evidence, as otherwise it is merely unsubstantiated opinion which is worthless. He may very well not be interested in football or BHA, although I would suggest that by working for the club he is in fact demonstrating the opposite. I don't think his personal interests are relevant, provided he is doing what he is emplyed to do.

So there!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I'm lost here - what's the point you're making?

Not really sure, just passing the afternoon!!!

In seriousness, I am somewhat uncomfortable with some of the taking what the club says as gospel. Whilst I do not think the club are anything under hand, I do think keeping an element of distance from the regime and being able to scrutinise them is generally in our best interests. At the end of the day, if more of that had been done pre 1995, maybe (not saying definetly) we would not have been in the homeless situation we are still in?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
At the end of the day, if more of that had been done pre 1995, maybe (not saying definetly) we would not have been in the homeless situation we are still in?

it was all down to planning conditions on the sale of the Goldstone. Had Chief planner, Maggie Brian at the time made it a condition for us to have a new ground being built as part of the selling of the Goldstone agreement, we would be playing our games in a purpose built stadium now, and probably for the last 10 years.

This was never granted as a condition when we sold up the land, and now we have no stadium to our name.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

In seriousness, I am somewhat uncomfortable with some of the taking what the club says as gospel. Whilst I do not think the club are anything under hand, I do think keeping an element of distance from the regime and being able to scrutinise them is generally in our best interests. At the end of the day, if more of that had been done pre 1995, maybe (not saying definetly) we would not have been in the homeless situation we are still in?

when I suggested this I was labelled a shit stirring Archer apologist by some of the great and good.....be careful UB.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

But you would agree that there is a difference between scrutinising and talking bollocks though?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
it was all down to planning conditions on the sale of the Goldstone. Had Chief planner, Maggie Brian at the time made it a condition for us to have a new ground being built as part of the selling of the Goldstone agreement, we would be playing our games in a purpose built stadium now, and probably for the last 10 years.

This was never granted as a condition when we sold up the land, and now we have no stadium to our name.

That is a factor, but if there had been more scrutiny into things such as Foray 585 (I think) and the loan restructuring that went on when Belloti appeared in about 1993, then maybe things might have been a tad different.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

In seriousness, I am somewhat uncomfortable with some of the taking what the club says as gospel.

Do you think that Lord B, TLO etc take everything the club says as gospel? I'm accused of that, but I go to the Fans Forums, listen to the questions, watch the facial expressions of the board when they answer, went to the public inquiry a couple of times and read all I could about the process. I am not so blind as people accuse me of being.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
when I suggested this I was labelled a shit stirring Archer apologist by some of the great and good.....be careful UB.

A different generation of fans? Not sure, however I would suggest forums like this do not help at times if you have a different opinion and also shows how things have changed from Gulls Eye etc.

I would hope even when the shiney ground is delivered and we are moaning about the price of the Fosters in there, than people are still asking questions of the club, keeping an eye on accounts etc.

But you would agree that there is a difference between scrutinising and talking bollocks though?

Depends what the agenda is.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Do you think that Lord B, TLO etc take everything the club says as gospel? I'm accused of that, but I go to the Fans Forums, listen to the questions, watch the facial expressions of the board when they answer, went to the public inquiry a couple of times and read all I could about the process. I am not so blind as people accuse me of being.

However I would say at present we do not have people asking enough questions of the club (again I do not think anything underhand is going on), but we seem to have moved from fighting the board, too far often taking as red what the current administration has to say. I am not sure that is healthy.

There is some irony in the fact that the supporters the club generally tends to deal with are the same ones that fought tooth and nail to remove Archer and maybe this happening meant we lost the element of scrutiny.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
However I would say at present we do not have people asking enough questions of the club (again I do not think anything underhand is going on), but we seem to have moved from fighting the board, too far often taking as red what the current administration has to say. I am not sure that is healthy.

There is some irony in the fact that the supporters the club generally tends to deal with are the same ones that fought tooth and nail to remove Archer and maybe this happening meant we lost the element of scrutiny.

Have you been to a Fans Forum? Did you ask a question?
One of the leaders of the Supporter's Club gave DK a grilling over one issue. Just because they are the Supporter's Club don't assume they aren't watching what is going on.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Have you been to a Fans Forum? Did you ask a question?
One of the leaders of the Supporter's Club gave DK a grilling over one issue. Just because they are the Supporter's Club don't assume they aren't watching what is going on.

You know I have been to Fans Forums.

Personally I have not asked questions at them. In the past when I attended the Seagulls over London meetings that was where I asked questions.

Personally I still have some issues with areas of the supporters clubs and this goes back to the mid 90’s, yes in the end they did condemn Archer and Belloti, but it was a while after everyone else. Now I know they have the best interests of the club at heart, but ultimately they will always be the organisation seen as closest to the board.

It is a shame that post Archer, BISA seemed to die out, partly as many of the principle movers within it, ended up as those working with the new regime at the club.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The date to start building the stadium is being put back until next year now, so how long can it keep getting put off if we are to meet the target of playing there in 2010/11

Source?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That Perry shouldn't use the pressure on land as an excuse for failure to deliver. His point is very straight forward, IMO.

I don't think Martin Perry has ever gone out of his way to look for absolution for the non-appearance of the stadium thus far.

We all know things can be handled better, and we all know what Lewes District Council and Falmer Parish Council (and others) have done regarding this project, but beyond that, I don't recall Martin Perry looking for excuses.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You know I have been to Fans Forums.

Personally I have not asked questions at them. In the past when I attended the Seagulls over London meetings that was where I asked questions.

Personally I still have some issues with areas of the supporters clubs and this goes back to the mid 90’s, yes in the end they did condemn Archer and Belloti, but it was a while after everyone else. Now I know they have the best interests of the club at heart, but ultimately they will always be the organisation seen as closest to the board.

It is a shame that post Archer, BISA seemed to die out, partly as many of the principle movers within it, ended up as those working with the new regime at the club.

You haven't heard about what happens when Attila and certain individuals in the club get together then... :ohmy: :eek:

Besides which, what questions would you ask that haven't already been asked, and that aren't ones where the answers are confidential?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here