Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Formula 1

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Valencia, why is this race still in the calendar....arguably slowest track on the F1 circuit

Monaco without the history or the glamour. Assume they pay Bernie well, there is no racing justification for this very dull track.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Well it produced a f***ing brilliant race today.

So pissed off with the end though, Maldonado you muppet.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Agreed and Mclaren pit crew in clown mode again, how many pit stop f*** ups is Lewis going to have this season. One every two races it seems

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, Maldonado looked at fault, just when i was starting to respect Hamiltons driving he tries to hold off the inevitable thou,Maldonado was always going pass him as his tyres looked shot.

Lewis wasn't at the front when the brains were held out IMO.

I think there could be a bust up tonight in the McClaren camp.

Should make Silverstone quite exciting!

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
im confused why is Alonso allowed the win, i thought you had to win and get back to the pit post race to test the fuel?

Think its only qualifying and not after the actual race , if i remember rightly once Vettel won and only just made end of the pit straight before running out of fuel.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yes, Maldonado looked at fault, just when i was starting to respect Hamiltons driving he tries to hold off the inevitable thou,Maldonado was always going pass him as his tyres looked shot.

I agree, he was never going to hold him so should have just let him past and taken whatever points he could. I guess that's what makes Lewis so great to watch though. He always wants to battle and people can relate to that, even if its not always the most sensible thing to do!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

I agree, he was never going to hold him so should have just let him past and taken whatever points he could. I guess that's what makes Lewis so great to watch though. He always wants to battle and people can relate to that, even if its not always the most sensible thing to do!
With 2 laps to go any driver would have tried......... wouldn't they?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

With 2 laps to go any driver would have tried......... wouldn't they?

Maybe, but you could see from how he couldn't get around the corners he wasn't going to hold him off. He admitted as much post race, saying it was a case of how many positions he would lose. He also said it was like driving with two rear punctures. End of the day, you shouldn't have to let anyone past, it's just such a shame with Vettel not finishing the points were so important.

Maybe, but you could see from how he couldn't get around the corners he wasn't going to hold him off. He admitted as much post race, saying it was a case of how many positions he would lose. He also said it was like driving with two rear punctures. End of the day, you shouldn't have to let anyone past, it's just such a shame with Vettel not finishing the points were so important.

Look back to the Canadian grand prix a few weeks ago. We had exactly the same situation with Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton. The only difference being...Vettel and Alonso didn't try to drive Hamilton off the circuit in the same way he forced Maldonado off. Had they done\tried that, everyone would of been up in arms about it.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Look back to the Canadian grand prix a few weeks ago. We had exactly the same situation with Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton. The only difference being...Vettel and Alonso didn't try to drive Hamilton off the circuit in the same way he forced Maldonado off. Had they done\tried that, everyone would of been up in arms about it.

Hamilton took the normal line, not his fault that Maldonado tried passing on the outside.
That was a fair move. Happens all the time.

Hamilton took the normal line, not his fault that Maldonado tried passing on the outside.
That was a fair move. Happens all the time.

If either Alonso or Vettel has pulled the same stunt in Canada as he did...he would be of been spitting his dummy out throwing another of his temper tantrums. He should of thought about the championship and focus on the points rather thank act like a mobile chicane. The only saving grace in my view is the fact he got no points. I love watching Hamilton, I think he's a great driver but when things aren't going his way, he has an awful ruthless streak in him. The thing that I can't get out of my head, was it an act of revenge for Spa last year?
Maldonado can be a real idiot at times (Monaco springs readily to mind) but this time around, I just can't see where he was at fault. Forced off the track by a much slower car and then blocked off so he couldn't rejoin.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I just can't see where he was at fault. Forced off the track by a much slower car and then blocked off so he couldn't rejoin.

Of course he was at fault. Imagine if there was no run off area, he'd have to concede the position because he wouldnt be able to run off track. Maldonado was 100% in the wrong because he came back onto the track in an unsafe manner. Of course he could rejoin, he just had to cross the chicance rather than drive back onto the track.

With regards to Montreal, that was very different, in that DRS zone Alonso and Vettel had no means of defending from Lewis. I fully agree that Lewis would have been better off not defending, but it's still his right too, and its Maldonado's fault for hitting him.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't blame Lewis for trying to keep Maldonado at bay he only had two laps to go. If it had been Alonso or Vettel challenging they would not have driven like they were in a dodgem, they would have waited until they had a genuine overtaking chance. As Coulthard said a few weeks ago Maldonado seems to think that it's OK to use his car as a weapon and should have got a serious reprimand not a pathetic 20 second penalty.

Any of you blaming Lewis hasn't got a scooby about Formula 1

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Agreed, the usual moronic Lewis hating seems to be going on here. For what it's worth, I think Lewis has been magnificent this season despite his team totally letting him down. The championship will be won by Alonso, that is quite obvious, and I begrudgingly accept that as he and Lewis are the two finest drivers on the grid. It'll be nice for a class act to win the title for the first time since 2008. As a Lewis fan, I'm now looking forward to his departure from the amateurs from Woking and hopefully into a professional team for 2013 where he can really challenge Alonso.

Pretty much agree with all of that! Although I hope he doesn't move to Ferrari because I've had years of conditioning to make me hate them!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I've been saying this for two years now, but the team I think Lewis should join is Mercedes. They obviously found it tough when they came back in 2010, but it's obvious they have the budget and the standing to be a big player in F1. They're showing good signs of improvement this year and I don't think it'll be too long before they're capable of producing a car to challenge for the WDC. As long as they're planning to hang around for many years to come and RB is staying at the helm, then I think Lewis could do great things with them. There is no point in going to Ferrari as they'll favour Alonso, which is fair enough to be quite honest. Red Bull is a possibility as I don't think Vettel would be much of a threat to Lewis, but I have a nagging doubt that a soft drinks company might not be the best long-term bet.

Out of interest, where do you hope and think he will go?

Renault-Lotus-Benetton-Toleman alongside The Ice Man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here