Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Form that often gets a manager the sack

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't want GP sacked, but how long does he need to get to mid table stability 4,5, 6 years ? The idea that no other manager in world football could get more out of Brighton installing their own philosophy and tactics is quite frankly sycophantic nonsense. Are you really in the belief that if he were to leave, retire from football or good forbid drop dead on the training ground one Monday morning then our club and our premiership status would be doomed for evermore? Everybody and I mean everybody is replaceable. We might not like that but its a fact of life.

The idea that you can replace managers and always see improvement is also nonsense. For every me manager bounce there is more examples of manager’s unable to get a tune out of the same squad. Everyone is replaceable, but as we experience with Hyypia, it’s never without risk.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Nonsense. Given how small a proportion of revenue gate receipts are for premier League teams it's very unlikely that crowd number will decide a coach's future. Results yes.

I've been a fan since 1970 but it seems many on here were happier with the excitement of fighting for our existence or against relegation in the lower leagues. Well that's not me. Yes we are in a difficult position for now. but that's football sometimes. Without a country or mega corporation to bankroll us we can't pay the huge fees or wages to get the stars in.

There also seems to be a lot of sneering at new "family" fans as if somehow the "diehards" (like me) are of more value than a more recent fan. Personally I value every fan.

This in triplicate.

I don't get to many games living in North London now. However, I took my 11 year old son yesterday to his first game since the pandemic. He loved it. Yes like the 20000 or so Brighton fans in the stadium he was annoyed and frustrated. But he was proud to watch "his" team play in the Premier League.
When we do eventually get relegated (which is probably inevitable some season, but hopefully not too soon) he will keep the memories of watching us in the Premier League, beating Liverpool and Man City, just as for me the memories of beating Liverpool and Man City etc in the late 70s and early 80s kept me going during the treks to Gillingham and the Withdean.

It was not a boring 0-0, it was frustrating.
If people aren't happy, they should do what happens in my son's class, where his mates support Man City or Liverpool because the local teams (Spurs and Arsenal) don't win enough!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quite an astonishing difference in that 5-0 to yesterday

In that game we only had 11 shots, but 7 were on target and and 5 went in :eek:

Are you saying we miss Skalak...

...I miss Skalak

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My apologies, you did not call me palarse, you called me a coward hiding behind a second account, this despite a mod subsequently proving I have no other account.

So you MUST be an expert on all things Albion.

I think all the mods are well aware this is not your first account. You're Mostafa or someone like that. Anyway, doesnt matter. Good to have you back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As l recall it was Skalak who did most of the missing. That wonder goal against QPR apart. Played his part in a couple of exciting seasons though.

Despite the QPR goal, the 5-0 Norwich game was his highwater mark.
He was unplayable that day.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Time? If it was about time, Sean Dyche would have a few PL trophys by now. How much money is the question. £200m in player investments would probably take Brighton somewhere close to the middle.

I'm sure some top class managers could get 5 or 6 points more than GP and a lot would get 5 or 6 less.

All evidence points towards that spending more money usually gets you better footballers and that better footballers get you better results. That the manager is somehow more important than the guys on the pitch is some kind of cultural rooted cuckold fantasy.

Your right nothing to do with time. Remind me how many trophy's Klopp won in his first season at Liverpool ??? Most managers are gone in 16 months. Virtually all, I would expect, would say they never had the "time" in transfer windows to get their target players in and don't forget Dyche got Burnley to European football. Either you believe Potter is essential to Brighton's development both now and in the future and can make a tangible difference, or if the club had more funds Tom Jones could do the job singing. I agree that money gets you better players and the best players get you better results but its no guarantee of success......I give you Man Utd. They can literally spend hundreds of millions on transfers and player wages yet are really now no further advanced to when they sack Moyes in their quest to win the league. The idea that a manager has no input in a players performance, that he is happy and stable, that he enjoys the the managers preferred system etc is a falsehood. How many expensive egos' have down tools and demanded a transfer because their unhappy, not with the club but the guy running the team???

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Don't then.

3 years ago couldn't have found the People's Republic of Sussex on a marked map.
Now an expert on the minutiae of CH's squad and arguing the toss with the man on the inside.

It's laughable.

It’s just really hard to ignore every bit of his BS. I often just roll my eyes and laugh at his utter lack of understanding of all things Albion, but every now and then I can’t resist the urge.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
With our acknowledged reluctance to pay the going rate for PL quality goal scorers a change of manager will only see, at best, a dead cat bounce and we’ll be back to the same shite whoever is manager imo. In answer to your question, until Bloom sacks him or he walks as I don’t see anything but a struggle until the inevitable relegation with our current model. I am not complaining and as I said before I’d rather be shit under Potter than under CH. You have reached the end of your tether with GP, I reached it with CH and I much prefer the way we TRY and play now to back then.

I appreciate my stance will be coming across as anti Potter, but I promise you I’m not. In all honesty I’m probably conflicted with my emotions at the moment. I think Potter is a very good manager, and if you gave him Villa’s squad for example, he’d be absolutely flying. The club’s reluctance to back him with key weapons is a frustration. Personally I don’t care which division we play in, I’ve seen it all, so I’m not going to stand here and demand the club drop an eye watering amount of money on a player, BUT, I feel Potter’s work is being hindered by it greatly and it feels a shame as we’re so close to achieving someone very special.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know what you’re getting at, but they never even hit the target.

Neither did we :lol:

Had they been an EPL team they would have won that game with their one and only attack.

Of that there can be no doubt as yesterdays template was pretty close to textbook.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yesterday is an outlier really as Norwich were utterly abject, they offered almost nothing.

They had absolutely nothing about them, a deserved relegation.

Smith’s tactics were laughable - I said this mid first half … timewasting :lolol:. WTF

Later bringing on the cliche of a pace merchant to rob a win. During his spell on the pitch, 9/10 times Norwich passed to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here