Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Form that often gets a manager the sack

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Would another manager have us on more than 34 points with the strikers we have? The answer is no so what is the point of getting rid of Potter. Give him some strikers who are clinical. We actually had better chances yesterday than when we beat Norwich 5-0 in the Championship. The difference was Glenn would put a chance away. We haven’t had that since we lost Bobby and Glenn.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I didn’t think yesterdays performance boring. Far from it. Frustrating yes, but not boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s bonkers that so many of us get drawn into replying to this character. They knew nothing about the Albion until 3 years ago, and short of punting around on the internet and googling fictional transfer fees, they still know absolutely nothing about the club. The sycophantic defence of all things Potter is laughable.

3 years ago so called entitled supporters didn’t demand top 10. Far from it.

If anything it was dreamers/optimists lightly mentioning it as an aspiration and we joked about European trips to Tallinn or Bratislava.

The disputes were about forever biting our nails over relegation to match day 38.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That has nothing to do with what I posted?
Out of interest, how many shit runs of form at you prepared to endure before enough is enough? Outside of 4 wins from our opening 5 fixtures this season has actually been one colossal pile of crap punctuated by the odd win here and there. We’re boring, we play slow unimaginative football and very very rarely do we even score a goal. I couldn’t go yesterday as I have Covid, I watched the game and the atmosphere was dire, am I surprised? Not one bit. There’s literally nothing for the fans to get excited about. This season is a car crash.

With our acknowledged reluctance to pay the going rate for PL quality goal scorers a change of manager will only see, at best, a dead cat bounce and we’ll be back to the same shite whoever is manager imo. In answer to your question, until Bloom sacks him or he walks as I don’t see anything but a struggle until the inevitable relegation with our current model. I am not complaining and as I said before I’d rather be shit under Potter than under CH. You have reached the end of your tether with GP, I reached it with CH and I much prefer the way we TRY and play now to back then.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The first time I ever heard anyone targeting/mentioning top 10, it was from Bloom or Barber.

Until then, with (naturally for fans of any club) sundry disputes, punters seemed to talk about survival, or would 15th be success?

Probably. Bit of a double-edged sword, say nothing and people will be annoyed with the lack of ambition (the way I think a lot of Burnley fans feel), say 'we want to be top 10' and people will be annoyed with not reaching those levels.

Fighting against relegation as the underdog can be fun for a season or two after you get promoted but in the long run people get tired of it.

Unfortunately there are no easy ways to escape it (and no the whole change manager and everything will be roses stuff doesnt work in reality).

Until a salary cap (which would make PL 10 times more interesting) is introduced, the ways to get out of constant relegations battles are these:
- invest obscene money (meaning you probably have to sell the club to some state or oligarch) works in most cases
- getting relegated
- doing some pretty much unheard of experiment to be the Sporting Lissabon or Ajax of England

TB appears to want the last option (and I love it) but whether it is a viable strategy or not is difficult to tell and it will probably be another ten years before we know if you can be a consistent PL team without massive red numbers each year.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Out of interest, how many shit runs of form at you prepared to endure before enough is enough? Outside of 4 wins from our opening 5 fixtures this season has actually been one colossal pile of crap punctuated by the odd win here and there. We’re boring, we play slow unimaginative football and very very rarely do we even score a goal. I couldn’t go yesterday as I have Covid, I watched the game and the atmosphere was dire, am I surprised? Not one bit. There’s literally nothing for the fans to get excited about. This season is a car crash.

I quite liked yesterday, we were good but without a striker, the NS was alright, I was out of my seat loads.

But totally agree with you on all other matches in this run.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Of course he did, the numbers are there for anyone to see.

It is a good example yes. The apparently irreplacable Bong was replaced by a player CH had available but wouldnt even take a glance at and who was later sold with a £10m profit. The club spent £20m to get 8 goals out of Locadia and Andone under CH and £0m on getting 8 goals out of Connolly under GP.

After CH PL-season 1 Brighton spent £73m more than they earned in transfers on improving the squad, ultimately resulting in four less points gained. This was presumably not what TB felt was sustainable and meeting expectatons. After GP PL season 1, Brighton has spent £2.5m more on transfers than they've earned while pretty much standing still which may be something TB finds sustainable and according to expectations (the real ones rather than the 'the fans and sponsors wants to hear me say we want to be top 10'), and this is why I think GP has a better chance of surviving this than CH had after the 18/19 season. You may disagree and could be right as I wouldnt be surprised if GP was sacked after the season - time will tell.

Connolly would not have broken into the side under CH without going out on loan for one season in League 1 and then one season in the Championship and even then maybe never. CH rated Goykeres more than he did Connolly at those early ages despite Connolly getting more goals at youth level. Connolly got injured during his loan to Luton. People have seen for themselves what Connolly has contributed at PL level (Not that much). That's either because he never got that loan to the lower leagues under his belt or simply not a PL standard player. And I won't even go into why Locadia an Jahanbkhash ended up at the club - people used to always ask why CH seldom played them despite the club spending millions on them ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Actually the atmosphere was not dire ..least not from where I sat and the north actually found its voice

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s bonkers that so many of us get drawn into replying to this character. They knew nothing about the Albion until 3 years ago, and short of punting around on the internet and googling fictional transfer fees, they still know absolutely nothing about the club. The sycophantic defence of all things Potter is laughable.

Compared to most if not all in here I dont know a lot about the club you had and the league you played in but I do know quite a lot about the corporation you have and the market you act in.

You're mentally stuck in a football world that no longer exists. There's no magic fix, no magic manager who are getting you to Europe, no magic player who by himself is going to get the club from 15th to 5th. The reality of today is that you either spend obscene money to get a bunch of obscenely good players and thats the only way to compete judging by the looks of it, though Brighton is trying to find a brave away around it which may or may not work (we'll find out in a long, long, long time).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There is a rumour that some changed the words to the Maupay song from 'how' to 'when'. I'm sorry to say that I did. And I also laughed at the penalty. Felt sorry for Neal as he trudged off, though. A bit.

A couple of "jokesters" near me changed it to 'how'd you miss that goal'.

The first time I ever heard anyone targeting/mentioning top 10, it was from Bloom or Barber.

Until then, with (naturally for fans of any club) sundry disputes, punters seemed to talk about survival, or would 15th be success?

I think when they first mentioned it, it was some timeless aim, a sense of what we're building towards over the coming years. That was what people clung to when supporters were complaining about just surviving in the premier league. Then in June Bloom gave an interview with a top 10 aim for this season recapped here: http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/show...-is-a-very-realistic-aim-for-next-season-quot

But my reading of swansman's comments is that this was just something Tony Bloom said to keep fans and sponsors happy rather than a genuine aim.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Connolly would not have broken into the side under CH without going out on loan for one season in League 1 and then one season in the Championship and even then maybe never. CH rated Goykeres more than he did Connolly at those early ages despite Connolly getting more goals at youth level. Connolly got injured during his loan to Luton. People have seen for themselves what Connolly has contributed at PL level (Not that much). That's either because he never got that loan to the lower leagues under his belt or simply not a PL standard player. And I won't even go into why Locadia an Jahanbkhash ended up at the club - people used to always ask why CH seldom played them despite the club spending millions on them ?

You may be right but it may also have been the case for Sanchez, White or Alzate. Hard to tell obviously but its easy to get the impression that TB/DA thought that there was a discrepancy between what they wanted and what CH wanted. Or it was just the results and in that case GP will get sacked at the end of this season.

I'm sure you're right about the signings. "Managers" dont get to choose who to bring in these days, same goes for GP. Nevertheless, if you get a bunch of players with possible resale value and use pretty much none of them (even if you have to force it) then its not going to be considered sustainable regardless if its your fault or not.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Compared to most if not all in here I dont know a lot about the club you had and the league you played in but I do know quite a lot about the corporation you have and the market you act in.

You're mentally stuck in a football world that no longer exists. There's no magic fix, no magic manager who are getting you to Europe, no magic player who by himself is going to get the club from 15th to 5th. The reality of today is that you either spend obscene money to get a bunch of obscenely good players and thats the only way to compete judging by the looks of it, though Brighton is trying to find a brave away around it which may or may not work (we'll find out in a long, long, long time).

I don't want GP sacked, but how long does he need to get to mid table stability 4,5, 6 years ? The idea that no other manager in world football could get more out of Brighton installing their own philosophy and tactics is quite frankly sycophantic nonsense. Are you really in the belief that if he were to leave, retire from football or good forbid drop dead on the training ground one Monday morning then our club and our premiership status would be doomed for evermore? Everybody and I mean everybody is replaceable. We might not like that but its a fact of life.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Don't then.

3 years ago couldn't have found the People's Republic of Sussex on a marked map.
Now an expert on the minutiae of CH's squad and arguing the toss with the man on the inside.

It's laughable.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Would another manager have us on more than 34 points with the strikers we have? The answer is no so what is the point of getting rid of Potter. Give him some strikers who are clinical. We actually had better chances yesterday than when we beat Norwich 5-0 in the Championship. The difference was Glenn would put a chance away. We haven’t had that since we lost Bobby and Glenn.

Quite an astonishing difference in that 5-0 to yesterday

In that game we only had 11 shots, but 7 were on target and and 5 went in :eek:

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex

But,but, but, this long time Scandinavian seagull,the replacement for the Nerd Of New York called me out as palarse on my first thread.

Surely a man with that much insight must know more than you?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't want GP sacked, but how long does he need to get to mid table stability 4,5, 6 years ? The idea that no other manager in world football could get more out of Brighton installing their own philosophy and tactics is quite frankly sycophantic nonsense. Are you really in the belief that if he were to leave, retire from football or good forbid drop dead on the training ground one Monday morning then our club and our premiership status would be doomed for evermore? Everybody and I mean everybody is replaceable. We might not like that but its a fact of life.

Time? If it was about time, Sean Dyche would have a few PL trophys by now. How much money is the question. £200m in player investments would probably take Brighton somewhere close to the middle.

I'm sure some top class managers could get 5 or 6 points more than GP and a lot would get 5 or 6 less.

All evidence points towards that spending more money usually gets you better footballers and that better footballers get you better results. That the manager is somehow more important than the guys on the pitch is some kind of cultural rooted cuckold fantasy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But,but, but, this long time Scandinavian seagull,the replacement for the Nerd Of New York called me out as palarse on my first thread.

Surely a man with that much insight must know more than you?

I did not, but I've said this is not your first account and I'm 100% right about that. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here