Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Form that often gets a manager the sack

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

But this current run is our 2nd dreadful spell of form this season. Remember, we beat Leicester on the 19th of September, our next league win didn’t come until Boxing Day. Over 3 months without a league win? Most managers get the sack for that.

Esp on the back of last season's dreadful spell.

All the while still not being able to overhaul his predecessors paltry amount of home wins, despite fast approaching 50% more opportunities.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If we are going to be fair to Potter, he is probably doing his best with the resources available.

It isn't his fault that our main (allegedly) forward can't even hit a barn door from 12 yards out with no one in his way but a goalkeeper.

The players are simply not good enough, but we clearly can't ( or don't want to) afford to pay for improvements unless we can get them on a free, or cheap because of their injury records.

Teams like Norwich..........

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They will not sack him, it’s almost a war of attrition now as TB and PB cannot be in a position where it will look like they apparently got it so wrong for so long.

The only way, almost Hypiaesque, is GP resigning at some point.

Well. They sacked Hughton.
And how wrong have they been. ? He’s kept us in the PL for three, probably four seasons.
But he’s not unsackable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter’s way, way beyond a dead-man-walking.

Now just a skeleton with an Action Man beard.

I expect Steve Cooper’s appointment to be confirmed tomorrow at the latest, with Roy Keane brought in as his assistant to kick ass.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast

But this current run is our 2nd dreadful spell of form this season. Remember, we beat Leicester on the 19th of September, our next league win didn’t come until Boxing Day. Over 3 months without a league win? Most managers get the sack for that.

That’s our home form and you’re right it’s awful but it still only part of the whole picture. Our away form, until recently, has been very good. Question of balance and all that.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Which is a poor explanation. Everyone has known for 10 years how Burnley play football and it doesnt prevent them from meeting or exceeding expectations every season.

There is a fair chance GP gets sacked (or walks as there's easily a world where you can get burned out from managing this rollercoaster of a team) at the end of the season but I think his chances of keeping the job is better than it was for CH, for a variety of reasons, the main one being that Covid seriously ****ed up the squad building. When on average clubs have a transfer deficit of around £50m per year (in the last two seasons) while Brighton over the last two years is very close to £0, just staying up is a pretty decent achievement. This can be compared with the -£120m in CHs two seasons and the -£53m in GPs first season.

Going close to £0 in transfer deficit over two seasons without losing ground in the PL is remarkable and I think TB is well aware.

You can't compare the transfer deficit of both Managers.

1. Because the players CH was disposing of were older Championship Standard Players I'll equipped for the PL

2. The players that Potter sold were players CH had brought in or who had progressed or who's value had risen by virtue of going out on loan

3. The squad CH inherited. The ones he got rid of none of them are playing PL football anymore. He had virtually nothing to sell of any value. And some of the ones he was forced to take against his better judgement all went down in value. Players like Suttner and a few of others.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You can't compare the transfer deficit of both Managers.

1. Because the players CH was disposing of were older Championship Standard Players I'll equipped for the PL

2. The players that Potter sold were players CH had brought in or who had progressed or who's value had risen by virtue of going out on loan

3. The squad CH inherited. The ones he got rid of none of them are playing PL football anymore. He had virtually nothing to sell of any value. And some of the ones he was forced to take against his better judgement all went down in value. Players like Suttner and a few of others.

No doubt was large spending required in order to have Brighton stay up, its the same for any promoted team. Thats not the point.

The point is that when nearly every team except Southampton, Brighton and Burnley spend a lot of money to improve their sides, its weird to expect the ones not spending to take significant steps upwards in the table. CH needed investment to have a team capable of staying up, GP (or whoever that might replace hm) is likely going to need investment if Brighton wants to be capable of reaching the top 10 in the next few years.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No doubt was large spending required in order to have Brighton stay up, its the same for any promoted team. Thats not the point.

The point is that when nearly every team except Southampton, Brighton and Burnley spend a lot of money to improve their sides, its weird to expect the ones not spending to take significant steps upwards in the table. CH needed investment to have a team capable of staying up, GP (or whoever that might replace hm) is likely going to need investment if Brighton wants to be capable of reaching the top 10 in the next few years.

But CH never got the levels of investment that GP has had and the levels of play with GP I think are good despite what many fans are saying now.

But the perfect example I recall are CH once said to me. " Bruno is a much better player than I thought he was when I first arrived but he is 37 now and him and Bongy are still the most consistent full backs I've got 4 years later "

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If we are going to be fair to Potter, he is probably doing his best with the resources available.

It isn't his fault that our main (allegedly) forward can't even hit a barn door from 12 yards out with no one in his way but a goalkeeper.

The players are simply not good enough, but we clearly can't ( or don't want to) afford to pay for improvements unless we can get them on a free, or cheap because of their injury records.

Teams like Norwich..........

He can if it comes to him unexpectedly. Any longer than a fraction of a second processing time and he ****s it up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But CH never gut the levels of investment that GP has had and levels of play with GP I think are good despite what many fans are saying now.

But the perfect example I recall are CH once said to me. " Bruno is a much better player than I thought he was when I first arrived but he is 37 now and him and Bongy are still the most consistent full backs I've got 4 years later "

Of course he did, the numbers are there for anyone to see.

It is a good example yes. The apparently irreplacable Bong was replaced by a player CH had available but wouldnt even take a glance at and who was later sold with a £10m profit. The club spent £20m to get 8 goals out of Locadia and Andone under CH and £0m on getting 8 goals out of Connolly under GP.

After CH PL-season 1 Brighton spent £73m more than they earned in transfers on improving the squad, ultimately resulting in four less points gained. This was presumably not what TB felt was sustainable and meeting expectatons. After GP PL season 1, Brighton has spent £2.5m more on transfers than they've earned while pretty much standing still which may be something TB finds sustainable and according to expectations (the real ones rather than the 'the fans and sponsors wants to hear me say we want to be top 10'), and this is why I think GP has a better chance of surviving this than CH had after the 18/19 season. You may disagree and could be right as I wouldnt be surprised if GP was sacked after the season - time will tell.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That’s our home form and you’re right it’s awful but it still only part of the whole picture. Our away form, until recently, has been very good. Question of balance and all that.

Unfortunately that was our home and away results. We went 13 without a win in the league from September to December. Our away form has been ok, but we have only won twice on the road since September 11th.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It is a good example yes. The apparently irreplacable Bong was replaced by a player CH had available but wouldnt even take a glance at and who was later sold with a £10m profit. The club spent £20m to get 8 goals out of Locadia and Andone under CH and £0m on getting 8 goals out of Connolly under GP.

After CH PL-season 1 Brighton spent £73m more than they earned in transfers on improving the squad, ultimately resulting in four less points gained. This was presumably not what TB felt was sustainable and meeting expectatons. After GP PL season 1, Brighton has spent £2.5m more on transfers than they've earned while pretty much standing still which may be something TB finds sustainable and according to expectations (the real ones rather than the 'the fans and sponsors wants to hear me say we want to be top 10'), and this is why I think GP has a better chance of surviving this than CH had after the 18/19 season. You may disagree and could be right as I wouldnt be surprised if GP was sacked after the season - time will tell.

The first time I ever heard anyone targeting/mentioning top 10, it was from Bloom or Barber.

Until then, (naturally for fans of any club) sundry disputes where us punters seemed to talk about survival, or would 15th be success?

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

It’s funny that you’re trying to push the narrative that Potter’s squad has been built on buttons and lollipop sticks. Hughton had very few saleable assets so comparing his overall spend to Potter’s, who could afford to sell Bernardo, Knockaert, Stephens etc is a pointless exercise.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The first time I ever heard anyone targeting/mentioning top 10, it was from Bloom or Barber.

Until then, with (naturally for fans of any club) sundry disputes, punters seemed to talk about survival, or would 15th be success?

Whoever said it may have meant in a few years but it’s certainly come back to bite whoever it was in the last few months. Not investing in January was a very bad gamble that has backfired, but at least we have a scapegoat to blame for the drop off in form :thumbsup:

If GP had been given the resources Gerrrard got in January I have no doubt we’d be chasing a European spot, but that’s just me, and I know it had/has zero chance of happening :smile:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Until then, with (naturally for fans of any club) sundry disputes, punters seemed to talk about survival, or would 15th be success?

It’s bonkers that so many of us get drawn into replying to this character. They knew nothing about the Albion until 3 years ago, and short of punting around on the internet and googling fictional transfer fees, they still know absolutely nothing about the club. The sycophantic defence of all things Potter is laughable.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It’s funny that you’re trying to push the narrative that Potter’s squad has been built on buttons and lollipop sticks. Hughton had very few saleable assets so comparing his overall spend to Potter’s, who could afford to sell Bernardo, Knockaert, Stephens etc is a pointless exercise.

I’ll take a shit run of form under GP over CH everyday and twice on Sundays personally

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whoever said it may have meant in a few years but it’s certainly come back to bite whoever it was in the last few months. Not investing in January was a very bad gamble that has backfired, but at least we have a scapegoat to blame for the drop off in form :thumbsup:

If GP had been given the resources Gerrrard got I have no doubt we’d be chasing a European spot, but that’s just me :smile:

We need a striker or two, or a striker + goalscoring midfielder.

Whether GP, Steve Cooper or Lage is the manager.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
If we were seriously chasing a European slot he would have been shown the door. We are not so he won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We need a striker or two, or a striker + goalscoring midfielder.

Whether GP, Steve Cooper or Lage is the manager.

As an aside, if Forest get promoted does any rational person on here think we’d have any chance of signing him? I don’t. If GP gets sacked tomorrow I also doubt we’d have any chance of prising Cooper away now.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’ll take a shit run of form under GP over CH everyday and twice on Sundays personally

That has nothing to do with what I posted?
Out of interest, how many shit runs of form at you prepared to endure before enough is enough? Outside of 4 wins from our opening 5 fixtures this season has actually been one colossal pile of crap punctuated by the odd win here and there. We’re boring, we play slow unimaginative football and very very rarely do we even score a goal. I couldn’t go yesterday as I have Covid, I watched the game and the atmosphere was dire, am I surprised? Not one bit. There’s literally nothing for the fans to get excited about. This season is a car crash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here