Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forgotten/rare phrases

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Shit and Abortions!

A particular favourite of my Grandad.
When we used to visit he'd sometimes refer to us as... 'Ferdinand from the Tripe shop'.
Bizarre.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stop "mithering" was a popular one too, never hear it down south.

My sister always calls me a scriking mard-arse whenever she sees me.
We lost her to the north 40 years ago.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
f***-a-duck or f*** me sideways.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My ex's creepy grandfather (family all lived in Bolton) used to slap her rather large sisters thighs and go "Eeee, fetch us a barm, we could get a couple a butties outta them wobblers eh?" My ex always looked horrified but then piss ourselve laughing.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I was telling a story at work about an ex colleague getting the sack for setting off the fire alarms by "Genieing up a box of matches"
I was laughed at and told that phrase hasn't been used since 1987

Edit:- incidentally the the ex colleague in question was called Bobak who went on to be in 90's boyband Another Level

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
How about 'Top Banana' never did understand that one.

also 'ropey' 'sketchy' 'spanner' 'div' 'mong' 'fudge packer' 'bandit' 'lop pot' 'gimp' 'mellon' 'mustard' to name but a few, were all part of being a teenager in the 90s!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I'm off to build a bear. In other words I need to sit on the throne.
I don't hear either of these terms anymore.

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Back when i was at school the top insult was mo, as in he's a mo, you mo etc. Not sure where that came from. Also we used Jimmy Hill and chinny rub for when accussing someone of talking bollocks. The most un pc insult was to take you arm out of your jumper, touch your shoulder and put the sleeve back on so your elbow poked out of the end, stick your tongue under your bottom lip and while waving your elbow stub at the person to be insulted and yell "Joey, Joey" in the best "retard" voice you could manage. Christ we were horrible little bastards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here