Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forgotten/rare phrases

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
There are many, many words that were used by most of us in our schooldays that are (perhaps understandably) frowned upon now.

Spazzer, spastic, for example. And does anybody ever use the word fatso now to describe a more rotund type? It's all "chozzer", "lardarse", "pie muncher" etc. Not like in Ro-Land Browning's day (look it up, kids).

Before Scope was thus named in 1994 their shops were called 'The Spastic Shop'. I was dating an American girl and whilst on the bus one day we passed The Spastic shop and she just erupted into uncontrolled mirth and laughter. It took me several minutes to find the source of her amusement and she simply couldn't grasp the shop being called that! I guess the term Spastic had become very abusive by that time. She asked me seriously if it was a shop just for spastics or if it was a meeting place for them?! I understand now why they changed to Scope!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Benny was a description I remember back in the sixties for a chap that 'navigated the windward passage' .
I do not know the origin.

I thot it was the guy from crossraods.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Benny was a description I remember back in the sixties for a chap that 'navigated the windward passage' .
I do not know the origin.

I always though Benny was referring to that dinlow off of Crossroads, calling somebody that meant they were a bit retarded? We used to call people "Molly" as well, still makes me chuckle.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I remember us calling people wangers for a while. And Squizzer We used to use the word chav in the early 80's at school but it meant to steal as in "That benny wanger just chavved our ball, let's duff the squizzer"

rool

Jul 10, 2003
One I never understood....

Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Huh?

Wasn't it said in a John Wayne style?

For some reason I remember the term 'you pringle' being derogatory way before the curvy savoury snack hit the supermarket shelves.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
For some unknown reason instead of calling someone a Benny ( a man who likes a man), I would call them a Benjamin.

I quite like that.

I mentioned this to my friends a few months back, not one of them new what a benny was!

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Before Scope was thus named in 1994 their shops were called 'The Spastic Shop'. I was dating an American girl and whilst on the bus one day we passed The Spastic shop and she just erupted into uncontrolled mirth and laughter. It took me several minutes to find the source of her amusement and she simply couldn't grasp the shop being called that! I guess the term Spastic had become very abusive by that time. She asked me seriously if it was a shop just for spastics or if it was a meeting place for them?! I understand now why they changed to Scope!

Similarly the pharmacy near Hove Town Hall that advertised 'Aids for the Disabled' on the side of the shop for years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here