Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those of you from or who live in Brighton or Hove...

I don't think it deserved a new thread, but what's the furthest away from Brighton that someone turned out to live when they claimed they were from Brighton?
I once bumped into an Italian guy in a bar in Montepulciano, Tuscany, and fell into conversation with him. He explained that he lived most of the year in Brighton. In fact he lived at Beddingham, a place he assumed I'd never heard of.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anybody who doesn't know where Westdene is is a total moron.

Indeed - I'm right here :thumbsup:

It depends how far away from home I am. If I think they won't know about Hove then I say Brighton. If I think they'll know about Hove then that's what I say. If I'm in the city then I say Hangleton.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
When I was in the RAF based in Lincolnshire no one I spoke to had heard of Haywards Heath where I was from at the time, so soon reverted to saying Brighton to be honest.

Similarly when I lived in Worthing speaking to most northerns I usually ended up saying just west of Brighton. Now living in Horsham I usually end up saying I live near Gatwick not by choice they just don't know where it is.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Hove, if pressed then off New Church Road (the seafront side).

Although that's what I used to say, until my girlfriend left me and I had no choice but to move away from Hove. I'm in denial about leaving and trying to get back as soon as possible.

D

Deleted User X18H

I say I live near Preston Park Station or just off Dyke Road . Or I live on the steep hill. Yes The Drove. That one in four gradient in Brighton not Hove!

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I say I grew up in Brighton (Preston park area, although probably closer to patcham than Preston park. I mean what do you call Varndean area? Varndean area?). Then lived in technically Hove ( as in wrong side of Dyke road), had my sole burnt in Hell by living in Croydon due tO a bird some 10 yrs back and then Saltdean (MARS TO ANYONE THAT LIVES IN BRIGHTON).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
When I lived in Whitehawk I just said Whitehawk, When I lived in L. Bevendean I just said on the Avenue as I did and many know it.

Now I live in Rottingdean so although not in the centre it is still part of the city and I say the high street in Rottingdean.

The important thing is do those living in Brighton or Hove win the lottery? Hmmm.

I like Rottingdean but it is categorically not part of Brighton.

Anyway as for me I say Brighton to outsiders and Kemptown, near the marina and hospital to people who know the place.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"hanover" and if pressed I tell them which pubs are on either end of my road (constant service and charles napier)

i'll have to have a rethink soon as I am moving to park crescent road.....I think it'll have to be "north level"

'Near the Level'
'Off Lewes Road'
'Park Crescent area'

Just don't say 'near the Open Market'. That's 'Bat & Ball' territory. :nono:

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I start off with Brighton, then if pressed narrow it down to Hove, then if pressed again Poets, before revealing my favourite poet.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To people who don't know the place I say 'Brighton' (sometimes adding 'on the coast south of London' if that meets with a blank stare). To people who know Brighton I say 'Fiveways'.

On the subject of people disguising where they live (Whitehawk = Upper Roedean for example), my favourite ones are Laleham (Staines), Binfield (Bracknell) and South Chelsea (Battersea). Also back in the 1980s some London estate agents tried to get people to refer to Clapham as Cl -arm (sounds like 'arm' with a 'cl' sound at the beginning). Fortunately I think that died a death!

BTW back on Fiveways, has any one else heard it referred to as 'Fiveways village?' I've heard it mentioned a few times. I just tend to grunt "Fiveways" and then wipe my nose on the back of my hand.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I say I live in Brighton, and then, if pressed, I will say Kemp Town.

I wouldn't go further as the street/specific area I live in suggests I live in a posher house/flat than I really do, and it's not English to boast is it?

you and I the same.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I say I live in Brighton near the station, because my friends wouldn't assume I meant any other kind of station.

:p

People do also think of bus stations...hence im specific about the word train...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
On the subject of people disguising where they live (Whitehawk = Upper Roedean for example), my favourite ones are Laleham (Staines), Binfield (Bracknell) and South Chelsea (Battersea). Also back in the 1980s some London estate agents tried to get people to refer to Clapham as Cl -arm (sounds like 'arm' with a 'cl' sound at the beginning). Fortunately I think that died a death!

Battersea was BaTERSEa

Streatham became Saint Reeth am

Stevenage is Saint Ever-Narge

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd say it's quite English and middle class to be very handwringing about having wealth/social status, or certainly can be.

Fair point, especially amongst my Labour chums.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here