Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those of you from or who live in Brighton or Hove...

Dec 29, 2011
When outside the country I say;

"Just below London, Brighton, heard of it?".

Also FWIW I just read a book about English tendencies. It is certainly not English to brag.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
... or 'East Brighton' as friend of mine, resident in Whitehawk at the time, would say.

North Marina has taken off with a few estate agents.

I don't think it deserved a new thread, but what's the furthest away from Brighton that someone turned out to live when they claimed they were from Brighton?

On holiday I have encountered claims to be from Brighton from residents of Lewes (presumably don't know enough of their own history to be proud), Hayward's Heath, Worthing and Crawley.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
North Marina has taken off with a few estate agents.

I don't think it deserved a new thread, but what's the furthest away from Brighton that someone turned out to live when they claimed they were from Brighton?

On holiday I have encountered claims to be from Brighton from residents of Lewes (presumably don't know enough of their own history to be proud), Hayward's Heath, Worthing and Crawley.

When I was in the RAF based in Lincolnshire no one I spoke to had heard of Haywards Heath where I was from at the time, so soon reverted to saying Brighton to be honest.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I've heard someone say they are from Brighton when they live in Newhaven. Stretching it a bit....

They could be, I'm FROM Brighton but live in Seaford. Depending who I'm talking to its sometimes easier to say 'Brighton' instead of going through the motions.

if people are saying it because they are ashamed of where they live or think Brighton sounds 'cooler' then that's different and pretty lame.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
When asked I say Brighton. (lived in Upper Rock Gardens and College Gardens)

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
No one said Moulsecoomb yet. That's where I grew up. Jokingly referred to now as South Falmer.

I just say near Brighton and when pressed say Eastbourne actually although I do work in Moulsecoomb, which is great for a walk at lunchtime to the greatest new stadium in the world for tickets and other stuff

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Ask housebuilder Adele & she could say any of Western Esplanade, Brighton, Hove, B&H, Portslade, Portslade by Sea, Hove Lagoon, Aldrington Basin or Shoreham Harbour & not be lying

Oct 25, 2003
"hanover" and if pressed I tell them which pubs are on either end of my road (constant service and charles napier)

i'll have to have a rethink soon as I am moving to park crescent road.....I think it'll have to be "north level"

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I always tell people I'm a proud resident of the free state of Kemp Town.

When I lived off Southover Street I considered myself a resident of Hanover and I've also lived in-between that house and my current abode - in a location I referred to as Queen's Park (obviously not actually IN the park, but near enough).

Many years ago I lived on Arundel Road which left me confused as to my locale. It wasn't quite Kemp Town and it certainly wasn't Whitehawk, despite its close proximity. So more often than not I told people I lived "near the marina".

Last edited:

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Surely not just me that uses pubs as reference points?

I wouldn't know some area's of Brighton, but I know most pubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here