Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those of you from or who live in Brighton or Hove...

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Always thought the historic village of Rottingdean was fairly decent too. We have more tea rooms than people that says something.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Name me one better suburb than dear old Westdene, with the exception of Withdean which is too close to separate. It's the rich and intelligent man's Patcham/Hangleton in my book!

I lived there for more than 20 years and wouldn't really say it's got an OAP problem, it's just a great place for families.

If you're talking 'suburb', I'm more taken with the Varndean / Surrenden area.

If you're talking nicest area, for me, it's the villas in the Montpelier / Clifton Terrace area.

Not forgetting Sussex Square / Lewes Crescent, of course.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
To others who live in Brighton I name the road as it's reasonably well known, but to those outside of Brighton I usually just say near the racecourse.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the Tongdean area is definitely the ultimate spot in B&H. Other than that, I'm not really impressed by anywhere. On the other hand, the only places I would refuse to live are Whitehawk and Bevendean.

Living in Withdean, I naturally really like Westdene/Withdean:

10 minutes into Brighton no matter the traffic, as we know the ways round the jams.
1 minute from the A27/Dyke Road junction.
Peaceful.
Decent, to amazing, gardens.
Plenty of snow if you are immature enough to still love it, compared to sleety B&H's lower altitudes on those same days.
Easy & free parking.
Low crime.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Name me one better suburb than dear old Westdene, with the exception of Withdean which is too close to separate. It's the rich and intelligent man's Patcham/Hangleton in my book!

I lived there for more than 20 years and wouldn't really say it's got an OAP problem, it's just a great place for families.

To be fair....I can't think of one haha! I'd prefer living closer towards the City though, I have a lot of friends in the Beaconsfield/Preston Park/London Road Station area and I would love to have a house around there.

But Westdene is great, very ideal for young families like you said and never any trouble.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I always say we live in brighton.

But I also explain that it is on the south coast 50 miles directly south of London...then they know sort of where it is.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

If you're talking nicest area, for me, it's the villas in the Montpelier / Clifton Terrace area.

Queens Park too, obviously.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Ahem.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
... when people ask you what area you live in or where you're from - do you respond with a district, or an area or a large nearby street/junction name?
That's going to depend on how well know the local area you're from is, and where the person asking is from. If I'm asked where I live by a northerner, I'll say Brighton, if they're more local, I'll say Hove. If you lived in the centre of Brighton, you'd just say Brighton wherever they were from (UK).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anybody who doesn't know where Westdene is is a total moron.
I found out before your post, and before I read this thread. But not long before. I'm not sure if I escape the moron status or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here