Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those of you from or who live in Brighton or Hove...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
... when people ask you what area you live in or where you're from - do you respond with a district, or an area or a large nearby street/junction name? It just follows on from the thread a few days ago when someone asked to define where the 'Preston Park area' is.

For instance, I grew up (well, I say 'grew up', I mean 'got older') in Shaftesbury Road, but hardly anyone knows that road, so I said either 'near London Road Station' (response - equally blank) or 'near Preston Circus'.

It's little more than curiosity, but how do you define your immediate location?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I say I live in Brighton, and then, if pressed, I will say Kemp Town.

I wouldn't go further as the street/specific area I live in suggests I live in a posher house/flat than I really do, and it's not English to boast is it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and it's not English to boast is it?

I'd say it is very English to brag about your house, especially the middle-classes.

I say I live in Brighton, and then break it down into Hove and Osborne Villas if pressed further.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If asked in outside of Sussex I will say Brighton.

If asked in Sussex I will say Hove

If asked in Brighton I will say off the Drive or Hove station area.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Usually just say Brighton, or for specifics, I live in Westdene, and no one knows where that is so I have to say "5 minutes from Withdean Stadium" :down:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
When I lived in Whitehawk I just said Whitehawk, When I lived in L. Bevendean I just said on the Avenue as I did and many know it.

Now I live in Rottingdean so although not in the centre it is still part of the city and I say the high street in Rottingdean.

The important thing is do those living in Brighton or Hove win the lottery? Hmmm.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
With most people nowadays I have to explain what the nearest landmark is because all the NEWBIES don't know the road names.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I say I live in Brighton near the train station. Which is the truth.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd say it is very English to brag about your house, especially the middle-classes.

I say I live in Brighton, and then break it down into Hove and Osborne Villas if pressed further.

I'd say it's quite English and middle class to be very handwringing about having wealth/social status, or certainly can be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure that works in Brighton particularly well. A lot of Brighton and Hove seems, to me at least, to be fairly average. There aren't many amazing bits, but in comparison to a lot of other cities there isn't too much shit either.

Those (not me) who live in either Roedean, or the Tongdean/Shirley, or Clifton, districts, do think they live in amazing bits.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Anybody who doesn't know where Westdene is is a total moron. It's the premier suburb of Brighton and Hove.

Seriously, you should see the look on peoples faces when I say Westdene...they are clueless.

Premier suburb of Brighton? Not too sure about that! But it is a nice little area, it's just full of OAP's and young families.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Compared to other parts of Sussex I have lived in - West Worthing, Wick, East Preston - I would say quite a few parts of Brighton and Hove are more impressive than any that I've listed above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here