Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For all you Mark McGhee fans.....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
Bit strange, chaps. Love him or hate him, why should we be told to pretend that it's of absolutely no interest to anyone involved with BHAFC as to what an important and controversial figure - who characterised our club for a long period of its recent history - is now up to?

The point I was trying to make MoH is that it should be of interest but not used as a way to open up the old anti-MM pro-MM debate. Surely we can all just say good luck to him and wait to see how he gets on.

Uncle Buck said:
With a good young attacking team that would go for the 4-3 win rather than the 1-0 men behind the ball win.

They may not like McGhee's tactics at Easter Road.

You do like to have your cake and eat it, don't you?

Weren't you the same person criticising McGhee for the two-winger policy last season as not defensively tight enough for our circumstances? (A legitimate criticism I have some sympathy with by the way).

Uncle "double standards" Buck strikes again :D

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
OK - we have four pages now and a storm a-brewin'. How many by 3pm on Friday? Place your bets now.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
OK - we have four pages now and a storm a-brewin'. How many by 3pm on Friday? Place your bets now.

I intend to leave well alone.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
You do like to have your cake and eat it, don't you?

Weren't you the same person criticising McGhee for the two-winger policy last season as not defensively tight enough for our circumstances? (A legitimate criticism I have some sympathy with by the way).

Uncle "double standards" Buck strikes again :D

Ooooohhhhh Steve, please stop bullying me, you nasty person....

Oh and for the record, congratulations. This thread was going along nicely and along comes Steve and gets a personal attack on.

Why?

Last edited:

Rougvie said:
He is currently in talks with Hibernian about the Managers job and an announcement of his appointment should be made before Thursday night.

:wave:

Just for your info LI/Gubber, London Hibees are always on the lookout for new members

:jester:

Thanks for the news, that would be an excellent job for him to get.

Thanks for the tip about the London Hibees too, our Edinburgh cousins at London Irish, absolutely perfect :D

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Man of Harveys said:

Didnt really start the thread for that purpose, just got the info from someone I know who works on the sports desk of the Daily Record. I think McGhee will do ok in the SPL for what its worth although Hibs fans are used to seeing their team play in an attacking fashion scoring a lot of goals.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Les Biehn said:
I intend to leave well alone.
OK - there we have it, laaz'n'gennelmun, Lezza's OUT. Will that sway the betting?

Personally, I'll go for 7 (SEVEN) pages by 3pm Friday.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
OK - there we have it, laaz'n'gennelmun, Lezza's OUT. Will that sway the betting?

Personally, I'll go for 7 (SEVEN) pages by 3pm Friday.

I think I dreamt you saying that. Just had massive Dejavu (?)

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
Ooooohhhhh Steve, please stop bullying me, you nasty person....

Oh and for the record, congratulations. This thread was going along nicely and along comes Steve and gets a personal attack on.

Why?

Because if last year you were accusing McGhee of playing football that was defensively naive, yet now you are accusing McGhee of being a slave to dour, defensive football wherever he goes, then that it is legitimate contradiction in your view to raise.

If you think I did it in too confrontational a manner, I apologise, but you were up for this stuff yesterday :D

Seriously though, it is not fair to caricature McGhee as wedded to defensive football. Reading fans I speak to quite often at the Madjet remember him as a disloyal bastard of course, but also as an apostle of very attacking football.

He went through various styles of play here, dour and defensive in our play-offs season, a bit more football thrown in with our first Champ season but still with Virgo as targetman. Then a conscious move away from tight, rugged tactics when we lost Virgo and gained the French wingers, a very attacking style, which gained us a lot of draws but few wins, then tightening things up again in the doomed second half of last season, with GNW arriving too late to make it work and give us a chance of survival.

The opening games this season was very fluent, passing football and it is Dean Wilkins now who has decided to play more direct, defensive, kick 'em football to keep us up, which could very well be the right thing to do under the circumstances. But that will still not make Wilkins an advocate of defensive football (he is the very opposite), just someone cutting his cloth as McGhee had to do so often here.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Les Biehn said:
I think I dreamt you saying that. Just had massive Dejavu (?)
Deja vue all over again. Always happens when you're tired. It must be all that BULLYING. :jester:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
Deja vue all over again. Always happens when you're tired. It must be all that BULLYING. :jester:

:ohmy: MoH, how could you?

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I thought he wanted to settle down south?

bit of a mission getting to work everyday!

Man of Harveys said:

If UB tells me I overstep the mark, I will always apologise, so sorry to disappoint you creaming yourself there, there's a terrible danger this thread might stay a football one, alas :jester:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
London Irish said:
A massive post about McGhee

I read the post. A million thoughts flood my head all at once, as if I am just about to be involved in a head-on collision with a Chelsea Tractor. Fingers dart to the keyboard at each glossed-over truth, each shaded cloaking and broad passivisation of McGhee and the horror of last season.

He's gone...he's gone...it's all ok. If you spent less time pissing about on NSC you wouldn't face being inexorably reminded of what happened. And you'd get more work done.

8 pages by noon Friday.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I intended to stay out of this argument but I do feel compelled to make one point. MM played both attacking and dour football. The thing was whatever tactic he played it was always with a rather limited approach.

He always tried to employ a target man, which with the attacking style just never seemed to click that well last year, maybe because we didn't really have that target man, maybe because when he played with a stronger player up front there wasn't the players with the movement to utalise that link up play.

When we played defensive it was lumped up to the front man, the trouble is as I have said we never really had that target man who could hold the ball up so it just kept coming back.

Mr Banana said:
I read the post. A million thoughts flood my head all at once, as if I am just about to be involved in a head-on collision with a Chelsea Tractor. Fingers dart to the keyboard at each glossed-over truth, each shaded cloaking and broad passivisation of McGhee and the horror of last season.

He's gone...he's gone...it's all ok. If you spent less time pissing about on NSC you wouldn't face being inexorably reminded of what happened. And you'd get more work done.

8 pages by noon Friday.

Cheers, most informative about our football :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here