Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flagging Credible Posters

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I suspect that this can be done in vbulletin, but wouldn't it be handy if you could click on a post that you thought was particularly helpful (or equally on one that was unhelpful or cretinous) in order to build up a picture of the posters whose opinion many people consider to be credible and those posters who generally people regard as unhelpful. Might help when trawling through the pages of often pointless comments.

Can it be done Bozza?

PS Waits to get people asking where they can click the link to note this thread as pointless.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You are assuming that reasonable posters only will be clicking on posts? What about the cliques of dross posters have the ability to click and make their mates posts sound of interest?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I suppose I was thinking the click would relate to the poster not the post. So over time, the idiots would accumulate a certain amount of negative comment whilst those with a more reasonable (or at least reasoned) view point would gradually acquire a credible score.

Not thought through - so you may be right. Could be abused. Just thinking out loud. Also, you do start to recognise posters whose opinion you value and those who you just skim past - so maybe not needed.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
moneysavingexpert has a similar type of thing where you can 'thank' someone for their post.

I suppose I was thinking the click would relate to the poster not the post. So over time, the idiots would accumulate a certain amount of negative comment whilst those with a more reasonable (or at least reasoned) view point would gradually acquire a credible score.

Not thought through - so you may be right. Could be abused. Just thinking out loud. Also, you do start to recognise posters whose opinion you value and those who you just skim past - so maybe not needed.

Lighten up' life is all about suprises and good and bad things can follow each other??? ps pratice thinking quietly first:hilton:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
israel-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes - but when lots of opinions are aggregated over time that should become more objective. Perhaps.
So when your less "reasonable" posters appear on a long thread, are you just going to not read what they say? Seems a bit odd. And what about those people who you might consider "reasonable" but who are as dull as ditchwater?

For the effort involved in solving this problem that has never been flagged up by anyone else on this site before, I think you may as well try and learn to become more tolerant of the people you're not interested in. Just skim read, not respond and ignore. :shrug:

In my experience, the more heavily monitored the site is, the shitter it is to read.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
There's 'reputation' too (don't know if this is what you were referring to). You can rep or neg a post. The cream usually rise to the top with lots of green blocks and the idiots stay on red. This way you can see if the poster is worth reading.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Simster - I do just skim past the posters whose opinions I find tedious already. And I can see that there is no real need for this type of system if it is going to get in the way of debate and chat and the general breadth of conversation that carries on on NSC. I think Albumen may have put it better than me - it's really about reputation. Anyway - just wondered if it had ever been considered if anyone had seen it used succesfully. Not lobbying to micro-manage NSC.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simster - I do just skim past the posters whose opinions I find tedious already. And I can see that there is no real need for this type of system if it is going to get in the way of debate and chat and the general breadth of conversation that carries on on NSC. I think Albumen may have put it better than me - it's really about reputation. Anyway - just wondered if it had ever been considered if anyone had seen it used succesfully. Not lobbying to micro-manage NSC.
I post occasionally on a board that does reputation. It's quite a good idea when done properly.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

I was on another board when it was launched. Remember the Simpsons episode when they were all wired up electrocuting each other? It's like that to start off with - fun!
You can only rep or neg a number of times a day and you have to spread the rep amongst other posters before repping the same person twice.
You can add messages to the rep for the reason, this is picked up in the CP.

The outcome of it is most people start to make more of an effort to post something good.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I've devised a fool proof system for this, I "flag up" which posters are believable and which are bullshitters using my human brain.

It's not that difficult to tell the difference.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
All a bit too scientific for me, like when Uncle Spielberg will rate one film 7.4 and another 7.7. I'd rather just enjoy something without having to rate it to a decimal point.

And besides, some of my favourite posts are, for example, Meade's Ball going off on a complete tangent. It's not "useful", but it's fun to read.

Overall, I think systems like these would only help if this forum was purely about giving advice or suchlike. Then it would matter if the person was seen as a 'good advice giver' or not. But it ain't, NSC is all life's rich tapestry, its bad and good bits, its serious and silly stuff in equal measure – and as such, can't be pinned down by statistics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here