Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fishing Experience

boxing+kangaroo.jpg

Piece of advice, never try to take Skippy's pic without permission.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I went for a job as a fisherman with the boys on Worthing seafront once.

I was really short of cash, so I asked the skipper if he could let me have a small sub.

He told me to piss off and use a rowing boat like the others.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Anyone know if the Mackeral are on our beaches yet??

As long as the water is clear the mackeral have been showing right the way along the sussex coast, I'm thinking of getting out with my spinning rod in the next couple of days to try & bag a few.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
As long as the water is clear the mackeral have been showing right the way along the sussex coast, I'm thinking of getting out with my spinning rod in the next couple of days to try & bag a few.

I was thinking of going off the beach later ( tides up about now ) by the aquarena for a spot of mackrelling.

How far in do they come to shore? I'm only used to going off the west arm at Shoreham, so don't really have to cast too far.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I was thinking of going off the beach later ( tides up about now ) by the aquarena for a spot of mackrelling.

How far in do they come to shore? I'm only used to going off the west arm at Shoreham, so don't really have to cast too far.

Sometimes right up to the edge of the water when they are ambushing shoals of little fish, Generally it's just hit & hope though unless you actually see the shoals in the water so the further you can cast the more water you can cover.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Sometimes right up to the edge of the water when they are ambushing shoals of little fish, Generally it's just hit & hope though unless you actually see the shoals in the water so the further you can cast the more water you can cover.

Thanks mate.

I'm going tomorrow as well with my young lad.

We do know what we're doing ( ish ! ) with the mackrel.

Just wondered also, what's the percentage of chance of catching them off the beach by the aquarena in Worthing ( I live 50 yards away ) , compared to the good old west arm of Shoreham?

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
DSCF0728.jpg

DSCF0729.jpg

This was the best fish of the day- a 15lb Thornback ray, taken off kingmere rocks 5 miles off Littlehampton. Also had loads of Mackerel, Bream, and Doggies.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
That looks like an undulate ray to me. If so, 15lbs is a very good weight.

at 15lbs a very nice undulate ray the record being around 21lbs , i always used to get a few whilst breaming around kingmere

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
That looks like an undulate ray to me. If so, 15lbs is a very good weight.

Your right;looking at it now it is.
The trouble was i was at the other end of the boat,my fishing buudy said he had a Thornback so i got out the camera.He placed it on the Bassboard and i took the shot.When i first put the photo on here i had my doubts but your right it is clearly not a Thornback.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
Your right;looking at it now it is.
The trouble was i was at the other end of the boat,my fishing buudy said he had a Thornback so i got out the camera.He placed it on the Bassboard and i took the shot.When i first put the photo on here i had my doubts but your right it is clearly not a Thornback.

Its a pleasure to help!

There has been many a time I have had to double check the books on returning home to be certain about the various species of ray. Some of them you don't see very often -especially by me!

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Going by the thorns along the length of its body i would have thought it was a thornback ,but not ever catching a undulate b4 i could be wrong. (but unlikely)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here