Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FFS Tony Bloom

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Part of the problem is that we are SO focussed on our own players, we don't always see the wider picture. Certainly we have (slightly) underperformed our xG this season - but our opponents (in games vs us) have also underperformed their xG.

There are nine other clubs who are currently under-performing their xG (worst offenders are Southampton and Wolves).

Neil Maupay, by the way, is almost bang on his xG (4.17 v 4 goals scored).

Only eight players have scored more EPL goals this season, and all bar one of them has had more playing time than Maupay.

As has been commented elsewhere, players that we apparently "should have" signed actually have worse records than Maupay (eg: Che Adams, Edouard, Watkins, etc).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It doesn't get any more complicated just because a player is based abroad, the rules remain the same for all loans. A clause has to have been agreed as part of original loan deal allowing a recall at the next transfer window. Any financial implications are also agreed at the time, when we recalled Mac Allister from his loan at Boca Jrs we had to pay compensation to them for cutting his loan spell short.

If there was no agreement made at the start of the original loan we cannot bring the player back in January, but I'm fairly certain the club would try and put the clause in as many loan deals as possible just in case of an injury crisis so we could recall a player if needed in the window, if we don't need to exercise the clause then we won't.

The only exception would be players like Mitoma who are being loaned as part of their work permit application and recalling them in January wouldn't be possible as they still wouldn't qualify for a permit.

Rules remain the same yes but due to the logistical part and the less obvious difference in hierarchy it is (often) more difficult to get a deal where you have all the say and the recieving club just have to sit and accept reality.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
I’ll settle for one that can score regularly from sitters, it doesn’t mean I expect Salah.

I have no idea of the stats but I reckon forwards from every team we play against score a much better ratio of decent chances on the Albion goal than our forwards manage from our chances. We have quite possibly the worst selection of strikers in the PL. now show me the stats to prove I’m wrong

At the moment we have one fit out of form striker who could be termed PL quality, that’s not worth a gripe, given how good we are as a team?

well this was the shot conversion rates for non-big 6 players as of 2 days ago. 20211128_143434.jpg

so neal has actually done pretty well so far. certainly no need for him to be jettisoned into outer space. but we know what we get with him, and invariably, he does miss a few sitters.

that's where the problem arises, because when he's not scoring we are totally ****ed as we don't have any reliable foil for him (trossard isn't a striker and no matter how many times people say he is, that will never change)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Part of the problem is that we are SO focussed on our own players, we don't always see the wider picture. Certainly we have (slightly) underperformed our xG this season - but our opponents (in games vs us) have also underperformed their xG.

There are nine other clubs who are currently under-performing their xG (worst offenders are Southampton and Wolves).

Neil Maupay, by the way, is almost bang on his xG (4.17 v 4 goals scored).

Only eight players have scored more EPL goals this season, and all bar one of them has had more playing time than Maupay.

As has been commented elsewhere, players that we apparently "should have" signed actually have worse records than Maupay (eg: Che Adams, Edouard, Watkins, etc).

But that last bit is totally irrelevant. Who knows how those strikers would have done with the supply say yesterday when lamptey put it on a plate twice for maupay…..still as I said earlier…thank feck we got the results we did at the beginning of the season. We can scrape draws out and go up point by point to safety, which is the unlimited aim…bugger top 10, or even top 15…our 1 place above relegation is the target.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A ridiculous post to criticise Bloom. Several clubs have spent £40m plus on a striker and discarded them after a season but we are not in that league. I will criticise recruitment dept for spending a fortune on strikers that have not worked out and dont think Bloom is willing to go down this route again. I think Bloom will stick with Maupay and Welbeck and every chance soon we will see youngsters as back up instead of Connelly and Locardia

That's more than a bit delusional tho eh? Maupay's not much more than CMS-plus. His real goal tally is masked by penalty goals. Which as we all know don't really count. Welbeck we could only afford if we could factor in the long absences through injuries. Which has duly come to pass. As for just 'throwing in the youngsters'. Might just about have worked in League One with a favourable tail-wind. But f*ck me, this is the EPL in 2021. Try that crap as a business plan and you're just dead man walking relegation fodder. Sake! :rolleyes:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm not so sure.

Potter won't be here forever and he's a big part of why it's working at the moment with this squad.

A big part may be true, but it really isn't exclusively Potter responsible for where we are.
Tony Bloom has built a very impressive management structure and I believe there is plenty of succession planning going on.

Is GP the only talented manager who can work alongside TB's vision?
I have no idea who our next manager could be, but I'm sure the club do.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
In 2019-20 Wilson scored 8 in 35 EPL games for Bournmouth.

In the same season, in the EPL, who scored 10 in 37 for another club? Worth a punt?

It was Neal Maupay, scoring for Brighton.

In the same season Josh King scored 6 in 26 in the EPL for Bournmouth.

Since then Josh King has scored 4 EPL goals in 22 EPL games, but over two seasons. Meanwhile another injury prone striker has scored 7 in 28 EPL games over the same two seasons. Guess who? Danny Welbeck at Brighton. Who knew? But Welbeck is injury prone though, so....hang on :facepalm:

Perhaps you think we should have guessed that Wilson would go on to score a magnificent, er, 4 EPL goals in 9 games this season, compared with Maupay's pathetic, er, 4 goals in 12 EPL games? ???

Somehow I can't imagine that Bloom is tearing his heart out on the quality that Potter overlooked, and that has slipped through our fingers, and that we could have signed, if only you were head of recruitment, and not the muppet, whatsisface. :shrug:

And Wilson is on £130 grand a week allegedly!! Nice work if you can get it

Please do not confuse them with facts

And d`ont get me started on Watkins

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That's more than a bit delusional tho eh? Maupay's not much more than CMS-plus. His real goal tally is masked by penalty goals. Which as we all know don't really count. Welbeck we could only afford if we could factor in the long absences through injuries. Which has duly come to pass. As for just 'throwing in the youngsters'. Might just about have worked in League One with a favourable tail-wind. But f*ck me, this is the EPL in 2021. Try that crap as a business plan and you're just dead man walking relegation fodder. Sake! :rolleyes:

He really is much more than CMS.
Have you forgotten CMs's first touch?

I would say that NM is an upgrade on Sam Baldock, who himself was a significant upgrade on CMS.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
That's more than a bit delusional tho eh? Maupay's not much more than CMS-plus. His real goal tally is masked by penalty goals. Which as we all know don't really count. Welbeck we could only afford if we could factor in the long absences through injuries. Which has duly come to pass. As for just 'throwing in the youngsters'. Might just about have worked in League One with a favourable tail-wind. But f*ck me, this is the EPL in 2021. Try that crap as a business plan and you're just dead man relegation fodder walking. Sake! :rolleyes:

I dont say it is right thing to do but just what I think Bloom is thinking. I think Bloom would spend £40m tomorrow if thought 80% chance of been a success. I do think unless we start scoring we could be in a relegation battle and it is a big gamble either way by Bloom.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Some fans should be very careful of what they wish for, we have transformed very successfully from dullard football to competing and creating chances.

Remember what Stoke tried to do not that long ago........

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Some fans should be very careful of what they wish for, we have transformed very successfully from dullard football to competing and creating chances.

Remember what Stoke tried to do not that long ago........

TBF I thought we were mostly great under Hughton and things only went awry in the second half of his last season. Describing his reign as dullard football is a tad disrespectful tbh.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
And would put more effort in (Ferguson & Tolaj that is, forgot to use quote)

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
But that last bit is totally irrelevant. Who knows how those strikers would have done with the supply say yesterday when lamptey put it on a plate twice for maupay…..still as I said earlier…thank feck we got the results we did at the beginning of the season. We can scrape draws out and go up point by point to safety, which is the unlimited aim…bugger top 10, or even top 15…our 1 place above relegation is the target.

Of course we can't say how those strikers would have done if they were on the pitch instead of Maupay....but you can look at their xG stats and see how well they convert the chances they get:

- Adams (overachieving by .57 [better than Maupay])
- Watkins (underachieving by .61 [worse than Maupay])
- Josh King (underachieving by .47 [worse than Maupay]
- Wilson (overachieving by 0.18 [better than Maupay]

So - you could argue that Adams and/or Wilson might have done better - but it's fairly marginal, and Adams only has a couple of goals this season which indicates he probably doesn't get in the right place to get the opportunities in the first place.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Of course we can't say how those strikers would have done if they were on the pitch instead of Maupay....but you can look at their xG stats and see how well they convert the chances they get:

- Adams (overachieving by .57 [better than Maupay])
- Watkins (underachieving by .61 [worse than Maupay])
- Josh King (underachieving by .47 [worse than Maupay]
- Wilson (overachieving by 0.18 [better than Maupay]

So - you could argue that Adams and/or Wilson might have done better - but it's fairly marginal, and Adams only has a couple of goals this season which indicates he probably doesn't get in the right place to get the opportunities in the first place.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics!

Having worked as an accountant and data analyst for a few years, I have zero faith in statistics which can be manipulated any which way you choose.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There are lies, damned lies and statistics!

Having worked as an accountant and data analyst for a few years, I have zero faith in statistics which can be manipulated any which way you choose.

Worth pointing out that Tony Bloom makes millions by placing bets (or advising) based purely on statistics.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Worth pointing out that Tony Bloom makes millions by placing bets (or advising) based purely on statistics.

And statistics are predictions based on prior outcomes, or are reflections on prior outcomes. :shrug:

Bloom's detractors are more than welcome to stick a wet finger in the air and make a statistic's free assessment, of course. Free world and that ???

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just for the record, I am not a bloom detractor, far from it.

I just think this modern bullshit of xG is just that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here