Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FFS Tony Bloom

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
It is a bit of a myth that TB doesnt sign any strikers.

This season he bought one - Sima - for £8m, and also Sarmiento who isnt mainly a striker but able to play up front. But lets keep it straight: he bought Sima.

Last season: Zeqiri and Welbeck.

The season before that: Maupay.

Before that: Andone, and before that Locadia.

Not(?) to forget Percy Tau.
Where are Zeqiri and Sima now?

Not much use are they?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Where are Zeqiri and Sima now?

Not much use are they?

They are out in the rough world gearing up to hopefully become good PL players. Not much use currently but hopefully in the future. Like most Brighton players did at some point. Even Trossard had three or four loans before establishing himself in Genk.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It is a bit of a myth that TB doesnt sign any strikers.

This season he bought one - Sima - for £8m, and also Sarmiento who isnt mainly a striker but able to play up front. But lets keep it straight: he bought Sima.

Last season: Zeqiri and Welbeck.

The season before that: Maupay.

Before that: Andone, and before that Locadia.

Not(?) to forget Percy Tau.

Now list the ones who would get on the bench in any mid table Premier League side.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Wilson would of been ideal for us and could probably guarantee 15 goals a season if he stayed fit. Josh King a free transfer would be an improvement on what we have.

I'm sure Wilson would have added some goals for us.
The problem is that at £80-100k pw (reportedly) he would have broken our pay structure.

For the club to make that move, they can expect contract negotiations to start increasing the overall wage bill considerably.
The club won't do it.
We can debate the merits of it until the end of time, it won't change the policy.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Ok.

But what's your point?

That our recruitment is shit?
That we shouldn't buy players with potential? Only proven players?

Our recruitment for every position up to striker certainly isn't shit. We can do it there.

Look at Swan's list.

How many seasons and so far Welbeck is ok for part of the season, Maupay was good recruitment but unfortunately something has gone wrong psychologically that he can't be relied on.

Do you think that is good enough to stay in the Premier League long term?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The simple fact of the matter is that currently we have Welbeck, when not injured, Maupay who works hard for the team but misses sitters and Connolly who seems to have some significant attitude problems. Locadia really isn't an option, Ferguson and Tolaj are kids and definitely shouldn't be risked until GP is absolutely sure they are ready (and that probably won't be this season).

So, for now it's Welbeck, Maupay or Connolly, 2 of whom appear to be unavailable or a false 9. And I really can't see us signing a 'ready to start every match' striker in January. Maybe a recall for Zeqiri ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Our recruitment for every position up to striker certainly isn't shit. We can do it there.

Look at Swan's list.

How many seasons and so far Welbeck is ok for part of the season, Maupay was good recruitment but unfortunately something has gone wrong psychologically that he can't be relied on.

Do you think that is good enough to stay in the Premier League long term?

Again a question rather than a solution!

I think that the approach taken has worked successfully for 4 seasons and looks to be working in season 5.
So yes I think it works long term.
A strong defence, decent midfield and average srikers should keep you up (injuries aside)

The question you aren't asking, is, will it deliver us to top-ten and beyond?

My answer to that is that it's possible the club will eventually hit gold and develop a player who goes on to be a great striker.
If that happens we will have a season or two to remember.
We could then sell that player for a significant figure and can look to raise our overall fees structure.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
You don't think we are prepared to pay £40 - £50k per week?
I suspect you are very wrong there.

Locadia/AJ/Andone were all suspected to be on exactly that kind of salary.

No I think the kind of strikers we need demand more than that which is one of the stumbling blocks

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The simple fact of the matter is that currently we have Welbeck, when not injured, Maupay who works hard for the team but misses sitters and Connolly who seems to have some significant attitude problems. Locadia really isn't an option, Ferguson and Tolaj are kids and definitely shouldn't be risked until GP is absolutely sure they are ready (and that probably won't be this season).

So, for now it's Welbeck, Maupay or Connolly, 2 of whom appear to be unavailable or a false 9. And I really can't see us signing a 'ready to start every match' striker in January. Maybe a recall for Zeqiri ?

While domestic players are often easy to recall, recalling players from abroad is (often) a different thing. In a lot of cases they have paid a loan fee, they have committed to a number of things to accomodate the player - spending time and money integrating him to the team, making him settle in the new country, leaving room for him in the squad and so forth. Part of the deal is usually that "you cant just rip him out of our hands if he happens to do well" because it is a two-way thing, not just Brighton being all friendly and Augsburg being the benefitted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wilson would of been ideal for us and could probably guarantee 15 goals a season if he stayed fit. Josh King a free transfer would be an improvement on what we have.

In 2019-20 Wilson scored 8 in 35 EPL games for Bournmouth.

In the same season, in the EPL, who scored 10 in 37 for another club? Worth a punt?

It was Neal Maupay, scoring for Brighton.

In the same season Josh King scored 6 in 26 in the EPL for Bournmouth.

Since then Josh King has scored 4 EPL goals in 22 EPL games, but over two seasons. Meanwhile another injury prone striker has scored 7 in 28 EPL games over the same two seasons. Guess who? Danny Welbeck at Brighton. Who knew? But Welbeck is injury prone though, so....hang on :facepalm:

Perhaps you think we should have guessed that Wilson would go on to score a magnificent, er, 4 EPL goals in 9 games this season, compared with Maupay's pathetic, er, 4 goals in 12 EPL games? ???

Somehow I can't imagine that Bloom is tearing his heart out on the quality that Potter overlooked, and that has slipped through our fingers, and that we could have signed, if only you were head of recruitment, and not the muppet, whatsisface. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Again a question rather than a solution!

I think that the approach taken has worked successfully for 4 seasons and looks to be working in season 5.
So yes I think it works long term.
A strong defence, decent midfield and average srikers should keep you up (injuries aside)

The question you aren't asking, is, will it deliver us to top-ten and beyond?

My answer to that is that it's possible the club will eventually hit gold and develop a player who goes on to be a great striker.
If that happens we will have a season or two to remember.
We could then sell that player for a significant figure and can look to raise our overall fees structure.

I like your thoughtful analysis :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What is a PL quality striker ? Do you mean someone from another country but in a top ten league like Belgium or Holland whose scoring lots of goals . That will probably cost around £25m and be a huge risk because many don’t adapt to the pace & physicality of the PL .

Do you mean a striker from a top 5 European league like France or Italy . That would cost a lot more around £35-45m with a salary way out of our budget on circa £100k a week plus . Still a risk they won’t settle in the PL.

Do you mean a striker whose done really well in the championship- like Maupay …

I could go on and on . My point is it’s not that simple and people that think we just need to spunk a lot of money on a well known striker , and bust our salary budget to get him because that will make everything alright are deluded and have little understanding of how to successfully run a PL club unless you have massive financial resources like Man City or Chelsea etc

I’ll settle for one that can score regularly from sitters, it doesn’t mean I expect Salah.

I have no idea of the stats but I reckon forwards from every team we play against score a much better ratio of decent chances on the Albion goal than our forwards manage from our chances. We have quite possibly the worst selection of strikers in the PL. now show me the stats to prove I’m wrong

At the moment we have one fit out of form striker who could be termed PL quality, that’s not worth a gripe, given how good we are as a team?

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A ridiculous post to criticise Bloom. Several clubs have spent £40m plus on a striker and discarded them after a season but we are not in that league. I will criticise recruitment dept for spending a fortune on strikers that have not worked out and dont think Bloom is willing to go down this route again. I think Bloom will stick with Maupay and Welbeck and every chance soon we will see youngsters as back up instead of Connelly and Locardia

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Really, Maupay was ideal at the time, so was Andoni and Locadia, no one moaned about them at the time. The only guarantees of a striker scoring 20 odd goals is if we buy someone like Kane or Salah.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A ridiculous post to criticise Bloom./QUOTE]

I agree, see my post 190. Sorry!

Frustrated and angry entitled twunt got carried away and posted without engaging brain first.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
While domestic players are often easy to recall, recalling players from abroad is (often) a different thing. In a lot of cases they have paid a loan fee, they have committed to a number of things to accomodate the player - spending time and money integrating him to the team, making him settle in the new country, leaving room for him in the squad and so forth. Part of the deal is usually that "you cant just rip him out of our hands if he happens to do well" because it is a two-way thing, not just Brighton being all friendly and Augsburg being the benefitted.

It doesn't get any more complicated just because a player is based abroad, the rules remain the same for all loans. A clause has to have been agreed as part of original loan deal allowing a recall at the next transfer window. Any financial implications are also agreed at the time, when we recalled Mac Allister from his loan at Boca Jrs we had to pay compensation to them for cutting his loan spell short.

If there was no agreement made at the start of the original loan we cannot bring the player back in January, but I'm fairly certain the club would try and put the clause in as many loan deals as possible just in case of an injury crisis so we could recall a player if needed in the window, if we don't need to exercise the clause then we won't.

The only exception would be players like Mitoma who are being loaned as part of their work permit application and recalling them in January wouldn't be possible as they still wouldn't qualify for a permit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here