Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Pub in Brighton & Hove?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Black dove on St James st is also worthy of a mention for evening drinks, cracking selection of beers and ciders.

Great selection of whiskies also.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yes, but it is these pubs that make Brighton such a unique place. You can find a shithouse seafield pub in every town and city up and down the country. If you like the Seafield can I suggest Portsmouth, you would love the pubs there.

i am not a particular fan of the seafield its the cardinal newman old boys club. its just very brighton (you know what i mean please god dont anyone pull me up on that) as much so as a grays or geese, just in a different way. this is my argument brighton has a character that runs deeper than southover pubs, and there far more sides to the town than the lion and lobster. TLO is a brighton officianado and I respect him for that - he cant see further than my username though on this ocassion.

as for go to portsmouth its a city down the road with a fantastc history and some real quirky pubs that you wont find i n brighton as brighton doesnt share its history. i fail to see your point. if you said f*** off to crawley i could take that. but even crawley has some nice old boozers! oh its a minefield! its ok though just as long as you dont step on the one that says the lion and lobster is full of wallies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Foundry
Albert
Lord Nelson
Victory
Pre gig at Concorde 2 The Bristol.
Bar at Green Door Store

Victory is a very good call. Very underated pub. Grreat tunes as well. Green Door Store is excellent; do you have to be over 6'6" to work the bar in there?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Black dove on St James st is also worthy of a mention for evening drinks, cracking selection of beers and ciders.

Though it'll take about 20 minutes to get served when busy with every other **** ordering a f***ing cocktail and then the bar staff showing off to any birds in view.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do miss some old Brighton institutions. The Iron Duke lock-ins were stuff of legend. There was a 'members' club in a basement on Regency Square with Cuba in the name. It was run by a lunatic, and very erratic, twitching manager who was off his face on various pharmaceuticals most of the time. He'd randomly throw people out, realise he had got it wrong and let them back in again and apologise profusely. He had an Elvis impersonator up against the wall once for pretending to break-dance on the floor. Chukced him out, then went outside and dragged him back in again.

He ran the place with a jackll and hyde mix of fear and ostentatious friendliness but always wide eyed and twitching.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't really like many of the pubs in town. They are, as Spanish says, very generic in their 'quirkiness'. Lion and Lobster, Fountainhead, Basketmakers, White Rabbit, Cricketers etc etc etc all seem to have the same kinds of people in and the same sort of ambience. If that's your bag then fair enough but it's difficult to enthuse about these boozers.

The Bee's Mouth reminded me of the Dorset in its pretentiousness on the one occasion I went. Don't get me started on the Mash Tun and what the Waggon and Horses has become.

My regular is the Constant Service in Hanover or very occasionally the Park Crescent but when in town I like to meet up with mates at the Heart in Hand. It's a wicked little pub with a wicked little juke box. I quite like the Eagle too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I used to be a regular in there about 6 years ago. Not been back in since they would not organise some sandwiches for my birthday. I had a row with the crazily young manager who kept coming up with increasingly rediculous reasons as to why either they would not make me a spread or I could not organise my own. It ended with me repeatedly stating 'if you do not want to do it just say no.' After saying this about 5 times she eventually said 'we do not want to do it.' Why didnt she just say this from the off?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It's not that bad. What's so wrong with the clientele?

Well they're not all bad obviously (as evidenced by the fine upstanding NSC community who frequent it.) It just seems to have more than its fair share of braying, swaggering goons making noise for noise's sake. I'd pick the Robin Hood over the LiLob any day of the week.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Though it'll take about 20 minutes to get served when busy with every other **** ordering a f***ing cocktail and then the bar staff showing off to any birds in view.

I have thouight about this long and hard and there is nothing worse than when you want say a couple of pints and a JD and coke and some **** has ordered a round of cocktails.

There should, in any bar, have a slow lane (for cocktails) and a fast lane for normal drinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here