Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Pub in Brighton & Hove?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
That's good advice BoF - I don't think you can go far wrong with that.

As for the Litter Tray -does anyone remember The Dog Tray, the bizarrely named pub at the bottom of Edward St? What was that about?

"tray" was a popular name for dogs in the victorian era and this pub began as the old dog tray in 1870. The name also featured in Heinrich Hoffman's poem "cruel Fredrick" in the 1844 German children's book struwwelpeter: "The good dog tray is happy now, he has no time to say bow-wow"
Copied from Brighton boozers a history of the city's pub culture.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to the World's End last week and was impressed. Mrs G said the ribs were the best she'd tasted (and even my veggie option was half-decent). I had a decent pint and the prices weren't too bad. It's at the arse-end of town and it doesn't look brilliant from the outside but it's a top-notch boozer.

Personally, I still prefer the Nelson or the Evening Star but the missus isn't too fond of them but we'll definitely go to the World's End again.

The stuff on the BBQ menu is amazing and has gained a lot of national attention. Proper genuine Texan BBQ. The pub is okay except Saturday when they have big screen sport on all afternoon and full blast on tvs and projected onto screens. It's awful. In fact they do this at other times of the week as well.

I understand the Evening Star allow you to bring take away food into their pub. My recommendation is to grab an ale in this pub and order a delievery from the World's End. Win win.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Ancient Mariner - Hidden away in Poets Corner but I enjoy it in there on a friday saturday evening.
The Wick - Although has gone down hill since the owner took over the Good Companions up @ the seven dials.
The Lion and Lobster - as already mentioned.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yep, and...?

Lame.

you started it mate with your yeah yeah you dont like brighton when i said nothing of the sort. sorry if mentioned the basketmakers or the lion and lobster in less than effusive terms of course they are GREAT and full of right dudes. if its a brighton pub discussion does everyone have to fall into line with the recieved wisdom on what makes a great pub. judging by the winners so far on here the criteria seems to be smug middle aged men - check - wannabe groovers - check - tedious lack of imagination - check.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"tray" was a popular name for dogs in the victorian era and this pub began as the old dog tray in 1870. The name also featured in Heinrich Hoffman's poem "cruel Fredrick" in the 1844 German children's book struwwelpeter: "The good dog tray is happy now, he has no time to say bow-wow"
Copied from Brighton boozers a history of the city's pub culture.

Thanks for that.

I should have twigged - it's used in King Lear too. "Lear: The little dogs and all, Tray, Blanch, and. Sweet-heart, see, they bark at me"

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Best Recruitment policy - Cricketers

Ha ha! I went in there last week and there was a barmaid in there who, well, let's just say she hasn't seen her feet for about 10 years.

My girlfriend had to drag me out to the back bar before I filled the carpet with dribble.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Ancient Mariner - Hidden away in Poets Corner but I enjoy it in there on a friday saturday evening.
The Wick - Although has gone down hill since the owner took over the Good Companions up @ the seven dials.
The Lion and Lobster - as already mentioned.

The good companions in being run by the same guy who runs the Hobgoblin on London rd.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
you started it mate with your yeah yeah you dont like brighton when i said nothing of the sort. sorry if mentioned the basketmakers or the lion and lobster in less than effusive terms of course they are GREAT and full of right dudes. if its a brighton pub discussion does everyone have to fall into line with the recieved wisdom on what makes a great pub. judging by the winners so far on here the criteria seems to be smug middle aged men - check - wannabe groovers - check - tedious lack of imagination - check.

So, you don't like Brighton pub-goers either.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The good companions in being run by the same guy who runs the Hobgoblin on London rd.

the hobgoblin when it was changed from the northern was run by a bloke called Whiff he was a lunatic. he used to fall asleep on the bar after lock ins and we would lock up and just post the keys through the letter box.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I understand the Evening Star allow you to bring take away food into their pub. My recommendation is to grab an ale in this pub and order a delievery from the World's End. Win win.
But the evening star always as a strong smell of WEE coming from the Gents. I don't think i'd want to eat whilst inhaling said smell.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Foundry
Albert
Lord Nelson
Victory
Pre gig at Concorde 2 The Bristol.
Bar at Green Door Store

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
A Co-Op.

I went in there once to watch England vs Georgia in the 2003 RWC - never again. I think it was called the Litter Tray or something similar.

It was a last resort. Rule of thumb, avoid places that offer special deals on WKD.

I see what you've done there. :lolol:

ps It was actually called The Litton Tree, although your version would certainly have been more appropriate. I remember having a sudden 'funny turn' & went there to watch an In-ger-lund match too. I lasted about 15 minutes before doin' a sharp offski to listen to it at home on the radio...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have made notes of all those off this list I haven't visited, and plan to use it like a shopping list over the next week or three.

Not mentioned yet, but worth a look are

The Market - nice old blokes pub offering grub and good beer in the lanes not frequented by tourists
The Hove Place - recently left the Lion group and still a friendly place to go. Like the Market you need to know where to look to find it
The Albion - Church Road Hove. Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, especially if you like a drop of Timothy Landlord and Sunday lunchtime jazz

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
i lived opposite the lion and lobster for years and thought it was full of muppets then. its the sort of place that brings polly samson and dave gilmour to brighton.

mention the seafield and everyone gets all sniffy! you couldnt make it up. this will be a long list of grays basketmakers lion and lobster etc etc. fucks sake.

Yes, but it is these pubs that make Brighton such a unique place. You can find a shithouse seafield pub in every town and city up and down the country. If you like the Seafield can I suggest Portsmouth, you would love the pubs there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What is that Molly Malloys like? Good Dark Star selection it seems

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
the crown, Grafton Street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here