Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fatties chucked out of All you can eat - Brighton. Mongolian BBQ.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Going into an all-you-can eat diner in the States is a very depressing experience. The characters in there make these guys look anorexic.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
ALL you can eat means EXACTLY that.

I'm sure a few lightweights go in and don't do it justice.
It all evens itself out in these type of places.

Think I'm gonna starve myself, the wife and the kids until the weekend, meet up with some other liberty taking tits and then go eat the plonker out of business.
And I might ask for a doggie bag as well so I can snack while waiting for Salty Seagull to turn up and slap my sweaty, chubby face.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't think he's getting good publicity out of this at all. If anything it will put people off, knowing the restaurant owners are watching how much you eat. If they were shoving people then someone at the buffet should have grown a pair and had a word.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Plus, they only went twice a month for 2 years. That's nothing. If I was them I'd sue that bastard for public humiliation.

Give over, the only reason it's public is because they've made it so.

The restauranteur has the right to remove anybody from his private premises if he likes. I'd say his major mistake was simply not to have prevented them from coming inside in the first place, rather than having to ask them to leave once they were in.

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
My partner & I go into this restaurant often and it's a lovely place. Last visit was Sat after the Birmingham game, we were still in our shirts and had a good long discussion with the owner about how he is a Seagull fan and used to hang out with the players etc in their hayday of FA Cup glory, the Goldstone Ground etc. I am maybe therefore a bit biased but I can see where he is coming from, he is trying to run a classy establishment that is why he changed the image from 'Ghengis Khan's' to Gobi, changed the menus, done the place out smartly etc etc.
Any all you can eat, footie shirt-friendly pub with a Seagull fan for an owner in Brighton gets the thumbs up from me is all I can say!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Give over, the only reason it's public is because they've made it so.

The restauranteur has the right to remove anybody from his private premises if he likes. I'd say his major mistake was simply not to have prevented them from coming inside in the first place, rather than having to ask them to leave once they were in.

I agree, they are the ones making the fuss and wouldn't have a hope of suing. I am aware that they have the right to refuse service and not let them on the premises, as is the same with all private property. However, he is out of order calling them disgusting pigs. I would be fuming if someone called me that in a restaurant. I actually feel quite sorry for them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My partner & I go into this restaurant often and it's a lovely place. Last visit was Sat after the Birmingham game, we were still in our shirts and had a good long discussion with the owner about how he is a Seagull fan and used to hang out with the players etc in their hayday of FA Cup glory, the Goldstone Ground etc. I am maybe therefore a bit biased but I can see where he is coming from, he is trying to run a classy establishment that is why he changed the image from 'Ghengis Khan's' to Gobi, changed the menus, done the place out smartly etc etc.
Any all you can eat, footie shirt-friendly pub with a Seagull fan for an owner in Brighton gets the thumbs up from me is all I can say!

It's a bloody Mongolian Barbeque for goodness sakes! You cannot make a silk purse out of a cow's twat.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Sweet. Haha! They are really milking this one aren't they.

Just like the restaurant, they keep coming back for more.
I'm a bit worried that with the radio interview at lunchtime and this TV interview at dinner time that they may have missed a couple of meals.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I wonder where they have moved their feeding ground to now? I am betting either Pizza place on North St or The Indian place on North St.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Restaurants also have large overheads. It`s a tough business and many places have closed down. Most right-minded people would have more respect than to go and gorge themselves for two years. It would be ok if they did it occassionally but they were obviously taking the piss. If we all did it these restaurants couldn`t exist. With all his overheads, rent, rates, staff and the rising costs of food i don`t think there is much profit to be had from twelve quid and it was probably costing him money to have these two liberty taking tits in there. I know if I was running the business, working long hours, I wouldn`t put up with it and I would gladly slap their sweaty, chubby faces on his behalf.

It might be a tough business but it's hardly as though anyone forced the restaurant to provide Eat as much as you like service. Any well run restaurant aims for 85% GP on booze and 60% GP on food so I really don't see what the manager has to complain about unless he's making a complete pigs ear of running his establishment.

It really is very simple :

> He advertises Eat as much as you can / like so he has to adhere to it
> There is no obligation to buy overpriced drinks
> There is no obligation to pay a service charge so the charges he makes should cover his costs

The manager is clearly a moron and I certainly won't be eating there - I'd rather give my money to a place that really does allow you to eat as much as you like such as Oriental Village.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Never been to this place and don't think I will after reading this. I could understand if they ordered excessively and were constantly leaving lots of food but seeing as they ate it all they haven't done anything wrong!

As others have said, I'll stick to Thai Elephant II or Oriental Village

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It really is very simple :

> He advertises Eat as much as you can / like so he has to adhere to it

Are you a hundred percent sure about that? I know that if, for example, Tesco wrongly label an item at (say) 99p, when the correct price is in fact £29.99, they are under no obligation to sell it to you at 99p. They just withdraw it from sale and say you can't buy it at 99p.

So I wondered if the same applies to this guy? What he definitely can't do is advertise dinner for £12, and then once punters have eaten, give them a bill for £20, but the all you can eat aspect strikes me as essentially an offer, and one he is legally entitled to withdraw as he sees fit. He reserves the right to say people can't have it.

If he was repeatedly pulling the rug from under punters' feet, and doing the same with every customer that he's done to the two chozzers, then I imagine Trading Standards might be interested, but as it stands, it's just two guys complaining, and he'll have a decent argument that their consumption went beyond what was reasonable.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If this is how the owner treats regulars he can keep his tiny bowls of food.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
"he is trying to run a classy establishment" - "all you can eat"

Then the guys a prat - if he wants to run a "classy establishment" then all you can eat is not the way to go.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Are you a hundred percent sure about that? I know that if, for example, Tesco wrongly label an item at (say) 99p, when the correct price is in fact £29.99, they are under no obligation to sell it to you at 99p. They just withdraw it from sale and say you can't buy it at 99p.

So I wondered if the same applies to this guy? What he definitely can't do is advertise dinner for £12, and then once punters have eaten, give them a bill for £20, but the all you can eat aspect strikes me as essentially an offer, and one he is legally entitled to withdraw as he sees fit. He reserves the right to say people can't have it.

If he was repeatedly pulling the rug from under punters' feet, and doing the same with every customer that he's done to the two chozzers, then I imagine Trading Standards might be interested, but as it stands, it's just two guys complaining, and he'll have a decent argument that their consumption went beyond what was reasonable.

I would imagine they could get into a bit of trouble if they withdraw the offer for some people and not for others. That would be a decision for solicitors and judges I suppose.

Plus, if one has been there one will know 5 helpings is nowhere near a lot of food in there.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

He can withdraw the offer before a contract is agreed ( much like the Tesco example you give) BUT in this case he already has their money so a contract was formed and so he's in the wrong. The word "reasonable" isn't applicable as it's over ruled by the word "all" in their offer.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why don't the two fatties just go to Days? Far wider selection of equally bland food.

I saw Brezovan in there the other day feeding a small child.
If I could have got out of my chair I would have asked him for his autograph.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here