Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans meeting at the Amex: making the atmosphere good

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I know you're fishing for comment's on this one so I shall say no more.

Okay I was exaggerating. Not every game maybe, but think of the away games we attend where we are behind the goal with a roof. Outsung the home support nearly every time. It's just what happens.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Was common sense stewarding discussed? Ie not telling everyone to sit down the whole game?

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
At 22 I should think I lowered the average age, was fantastic to be there. You can really tell how passionate Bloom is and what a 'normal fan' he is, FANTASTIC.

They also mentioned part of the reason they allowed fans to come and pick their seat was to make it clear that perhaps more vocal dare I say it young fans go to northstand, the old northstanders from the Goldstone to WSU and then the Family in the East to create a noise from all the way round. They where impressed by the sound the kids made at Withdean so keep it up!!!

I digress abit here but due to all the trouble I'd had with my North Stand seat I'd really begun to think the club had forgotten the fans, I was wrong and it was really nice to be invited along and to see we are far from being forgotten.

Back on topic, club seemed really keen to work with the fans to arrange suitable places to put lots of flags etc and help cross bridges and find the right route threw the red tape and help create an organic atmosphere.

I can only urge you to really get behind the team, regardless of how its going and sing, support and cheer on our lads in the blue and white! Lets create a name for ourselves here.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
As commo sense stewarding discussed? Ie not telling everyone to sit down the whole game?

As we knew, Back four rows of the NS would be more tolerant, So long as people don't take the mickey or try to just bash the stewards. Bloom seemed genuinely concerned by emails/letters he has received from fans who cant stand for 90mins or children who cant see when people do and as much as he wants noise he understands and respects those who paid for a seat and want to use it.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
Anyone else there find it a bit odd that they asked a crowd of predominantly guys in their mid-50's how to get the atmosphere going? Gus rolled his eyes at me on more
than one occasion - including your Hartlepool comment Dave!

Just what i was thinking when i was reading this, very cringey! I feel sorry for Gus having to go through with that!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I feel if it'd been a group of 20somethings people would just be saying you need to talk to the old north standers, You can never win. I thought there was a decent mix of young and not so young. Creating an atmosphere doesn't change that much and it was managed at the Goldstone pretty well.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Okay I was exaggerating. Not every game maybe, but think of the away games we attend where we are behind the goal with a roof. Outsung the home support nearly every time. It's just what happens.

I can see what you are saying but I believe it will be completely different at the AMEX, the place should be rocking every game.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
I feel if it'd been a group of 20somethings people would just be saying you need to talk to the old north standers, You can never win. I thought there was a decent mix of young and not so young. Creating an atmosphere doesn't change that much and it was managed at the Goldstone pretty well.

i don't think there should of been a discussion on it at all perhaps? Our fans are fine and are one of the best vocally that i've seen!
fans will make noise on their own, not when they are being directed by people telling them what to do...

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Goldstone was a different kettle of fish. Terracing = Atmosphere. Those that wanted to make noise went and stood in the North Stand in the area where the noise was made. Of course the whole North stand eventually was making noise but the songs generally all started from one or two areas.
At the AMEX you are stuck where you are for the season.
I am like many fans I would suggest. I will make as much noise as anybody, and I want to go to the footy and sing. BUT if I am in a seat with a bunch of old farts around me who have no interest in anything other than the odd "Seagulls" whilst sipping their Bovril............. That is when I will be depressingly sat back in my seat. If this happens all over the AMEX then we will be in trouble.

And for those who do not believe this could happen. Then you can look at many examples of far noisier clubs than us, that have moved and gone quiet. The stand out one for me is Man City. Maine Road was loud. All City fans will tell you when they moved it was terrible. I am not sure if it is any better there now, and they placed the blame totally on the fact that the singers were sat all over the place.

The key to the whole of the Amex atmosphere lies in the WSU. IF the WSU is full of people who want to go for it, then the ground will be rocking. We know the north standers will sing anyway, so I do not think they make a difference either way. If the WSU are on top form then the rest will follow suit and as someone posted the other day the West stand will be shit scary to play in front of.

That's my two pennies worth anyway.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The Goldstone was a different kettle of fish. Terracing = Atmosphere. Those that wanted to make noise went and stood in the North Stand in the area where the noise was made. Of course the whole North stand eventually was making noise but the songs generally all started from one or two areas.
I am like many fans I would suggest. I will make as much noise as anybody, and I want to go to the footy and sing. BUT if I am in a seat with a bunch of old farts around me who have no interest in anything other than the odd "Seagulls" whilst sipping their Bovril............. That is when I will be depressingly sat back in my seat. If this happens all over the AMEX then we will be in trouble.

And for those who do not believe this could happen. Then you can look at many examples of far noisier clubs than us, that have moved and gone quiet. The stand out one for me is Man City. Maine Road was loud. All City fans will tell you when they moved it was terrible. I am not sure if it is any better there now, and they placed the blame totally on the fact that the singers were sat all over the place.

The key to the whole of the Amex atmosphere lies in the WSU. IF the WSU is full of people who want to go for it, then the ground will be rocking. We know the north standers will sing anyway, so I do not think they make a difference either way. If the WSU are on top form then the rest will follow suit and as someone posted the other day the West stand will be shit scary to play in front of.

Could be much the reverse in our case though-or i would like to think-my brother has a block with 20 others-most not been since the Goldstone-all those used to frequent the North..

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009

This is why we were invited yesterday, the club are doing their upmost to make sure The Amex is rocking come August. I take my hat off to them, we have a Chairman who truly cares and a team around him who want to succeed. The Albion are seriously going places punk:

Last edited:

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Christ. We were the quietest fans for a while because we were losing all the time. Then we were the quietest fans because we were winning all the time! Personally, I don't think the Amex will be loud at all. We were never that loud at the Goldstone! And for the last 12 years fans have argued about the best way to make a noise at home....and never actually made any noise at all! After a couple of games the north stand fans and the west upper will be complaining about each other and we'll be back to the withdean factor. Old farts vs. H-block. We'll see....

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is why we were invited yesterday, the club are doing their upmost to make sure The Amex is rocking come August. I take my hat off to them, we have a Chairman who truly cares and a team around him who want to succeed. The Albion are seriously going places punk:

Certainly sounds like they really care about the whole atmosphere thing. Very interesting to hear poyet suggesting he liked the chant for nooney etc, and that it gave the lad a lift. That should encourage everyone to up the volume surely.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I can see what you are saying but I believe it will be completely different at the AMEX, the place should be rocking every game.

But it won't be, unless the team are performing on the pitch. I agree with Giraffe, the away fans will be up for it every game. We on the other hand probably won't be, at least the critical mass.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Christ. We were the quietest fans for a while because we were losing all the time. Then we were the quietest fans because we were winning all the time! Personally, I don't think the Amex will be loud at all. We were never that loud at the Goldstone! And for the last 12 years fans have argued about the best way to make a noise at home....and never actually made any noise at all! After a couple of games the north stand fans and the west upper will be complaining about each other and we'll be back to the withdean factor. Old farts vs. H-block. We'll see....

I don't think it's fair to say we have EVER had the quietest fans. OK Withers was terrible, even with Boca fans filling the damn place it would have still been quiet, but there are plenty of fans worse than us. On occasion the Goldstone could be very loud but I guess it depends which end you were at. This is exactly why I mentioned the WSU as being the key. The North will sing anyway, but that won't make or break the overall atmosphere. Get 2 sides of the ground going for it and ????

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Good thread - rarely do I read all the posts but did here. Few thoughts

I reckon there's a fair chance of a bit of an odd situ re the singing. In the North it was fairly obvious - one of about half a dozen would start it and bingo. Here I'm gonna look to the bloke on my left and give him that "you or me?" look. Conjours a funny picture -anyway someone needs to be the first

Please please please no flags :facepalm:

How did I end up in WSL if all the action's in WSU?

One of the most awesome sights I saw was in 78 (I think) World Cup in Argentina - all the ticker tape stuff that was let go - absolutely awesome - would be a nice one off but not sure how they do that - can't be difficult

Big Yes to GOSBS and no goal music

Can't wait

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Action in the WSU? No chance. They will be moaning about the north stand after 2 games. Seriously, there will be very little atmosphere after a couple of games. The old farts in the WSU will be quite content then they'll be on here blaming everyone else!

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Action in the WSU? No chance. They will be moaning about the north stand after 2 games. Seriously, there will be very little atmosphere after a couple of games. The old farts in the WSU will be quite content then they'll be on here blaming everyone else!

Christ, I hope you are wrong. Could ruin it for me if we are silent / constantly outsung by away fans.

Maybe we should have had a part of the ground for our away fans. Whenever we travel we make plenty of noise.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Christ, I hope you are wrong. Could ruin it for me if we are silent / constantly outsung by away fans.

Maybe we should have had a part of the ground for our away fans. Whenever we travel we make plenty of noise.

It's not a Brighton thing, it's a football thing. Away fans nearly always put a lot more effort in than home fans. They've travelled the miles, they're on enemy territory and outnumbered - they make some noise about it.

It will be interesting to see if we are able to buck that trend long-term but the odds are not in our favour...

- big influx of new fans
- Brighton has never been a loud and intimidatory place to come.
- away fans well situated behind a goal with a roof
- away fans likely to visit in numbers as people like days out in Brighton.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
It's not a Brighton thing, it's a football thing. Away fans nearly always put a lot more effort in than home fans. They've travelled the miles, they're on enemy territory and outnumbered - they make some noise about it.

It will be interesting to see if we are able to buck that trend long-term but the odds are not in our favour...

- big influx of new fans
- Brighton has never been a loud and intimidatory place to come.
- away fans well situated behind a goal with a roof
- away fans likely to visit in numbers as people like days out in Brighton.

But we have never had a roof on all four sides [and corners] before

we'll find out when the real action starts on 6 August; pre-season and sscf today are not true tests imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here