Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans meeting at the Amex: making the atmosphere good

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
generally, the bton crowd have been motivated by the teams performance, but not many clubs have fans that start rousting the players up when theres a break in play like we did at withdean near the dugout, that will still happen and there will be 1000s more doing it now. At withdean we had no roof where the singers were, no roof makes such a difference, there will be quiet times at falmer, bound to be when were being turned over by a premiership bound team who are outclassing us and we are 2-0 or 3-0 down by half time or the game is uneventful for whatever reason, you get that at every ground, even old traffords quiet apparently with 72,000 when things arent happening on the pitch. No club has fans that go for it constantly in every game irrespective.

Initially at least though for the first few months it should be electric and at the very least, with a roof on the west and north, there should be some serious singing/chants in unison for the first time since the goldstone, the goldstone was really noisy when we tried. If the club have any concerns they should tell the stewards to go easy cos that helps. The wsu should be banging, the a21 and other supporters clubs are in there and its gonna rock. Slightly curious by the statement about less singing at away fans and more support for the team, we hardly did that at withdean cos we couldnt hear them!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
FCUM didn't need a roof and made Withdean rock. Being 4-0 up didn't prevent singing at Charlton.
Forget the excuses and sing.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Any chance we could change the thread title a little so people know what it's about?

I got the impression all the way through the meeting that this atmosphere issue was just another cog in Bloom's getting to the premiership machine. He's taking the whole thing very seriously and I think its fantastic.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
As i mentioned in the meeting if you have away fans giving it large it helps the home fans get going!:moo:

And as has been mentioned before, you're a grown man with kids and yet you post like a retarded 14 year old kid. How do you expect people to take you or your comments seriously if you insist on those stupid f***ing smileys after every post?

Stumpy Tim

fair enough, I am not going to loose sleep over opinions.

with regards to ages, they were representatives of supporters groups...a21, bur wash, mid Sussex and a few of us nscers....didn't think ben or notters or the other lad - sorry cant remember his name were in their 50's. I think bozza asked for people who got the crowd going...that is why I went...what about you?

Don't get me wrong Dave I thought it was a valuable exercise, and I was impressed with Blooms enthusiasm especially. I just thought it was a shame that I was one of the youngest at 35.

Tony spoke a lot about Stoke, and they did something similar - but they invited the less savory aspects of their support and got them to channel their aggression in the right direction. I don't think many (any) of the fans there were that kind of supporter.

I was very impressed with the new announcer too, he really knew his stuff. The idea of putting classic Albion footage on the big screens in the ten minutes up to kick off is brilliant... That is genuinely exciting

And I think Gus rolled his eyes tongue in cheek... I think you were meant to see it. It was a very flair over-the-top roll.

Good to see you though. It's been a while

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Stumpy Tim has got it spot on. All those old boys at the meeting represent Albion's past. We need lots of noisy youngsters with fresh ideas to carry the flag (figuratively speaking) at Falmer.

anyone else there find it a bit odd that they asked a crowd of predominantly guys in their mid-50's how to get the atmosphere going? Gus rolled his eyes at me on more
than one occasion - including your hartlepool comment dave!

i did mention the nsk more than once and mr hebbard is waiting on there input! I think junior seagulls should also be represented as the family stand did thier bit at withdean! My two teenage boys sing at away games but very rarely at withdean. i expect them to be giving it large at falmer:moo:

Stumpy Tim has got it spot on. All those old boys at the meeting represent Albion's past. We need lots of noisy youngsters with fresh ideas to carry the flag (figuratively speaking) at Falmer.

i made a similar point at the meeting but because of the last 14 years some of the younger fans have not had the right enviroment for cranking up the atmo! i think they wanted the older guys to help create this for them! Yes its the youngsters that will take this on,in the early 70's the north stand was made up of 14 to early 20's twenty five was past it!:moo:

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
Please please please no flags :facepalm:

How did I end up in WSL if all the action's in WSU?

One of the most awesome sights I saw was in 78 (I think) World Cup in Argentina - all the ticker tape stuff that was let go - absolutely awesome - would be a nice one off but not sure how they do that - can't be difficult

Big Yes to GOSBS and no goal music

Can't wait

Totally agree, flags are not for me.

Your in WSL all the action's in the WSU. I stupidly trusted my father in law to pick our seats and he's got us in the pissing East Stand!! WTF!!

No goal music is such a blessing, and thank god they've stuck with GOSBS. We are BHA not another clone club!!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Little plastic flags = Chelsea. Chelsea = epitome of what a middle class rugby fan in a marketing office thinks football should be like. No thanks.

And also agree loud music is the curse of modern stadia. It can be good for building up excitement but I'd like to see Albion use it in a way no-one else has....leave some gaps. Let the fans sing. And if they're singing, don't press play again too soon. It doesn't have to be wall to wall.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Also the person that said GOSBTS could be strange after building up the atmosphere... Come off it. Ever been to a ground where the club song is belted out properly by everyone in the ground as the teams come out? That is always immense.

If Albion are going to try to change anything, do that. Get the words on the big screen and encourage everyone to sing it. 6 months down the line, we could have a new tradition that would really give our stadium an identity.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

To be fair, there were four people in their twenties, and probably about the same in their 30s, 40s and 50s.

One thing that has mentioned in detail yet is that there will be a ticket exchange system for all as Tony wants as few empty seats as possible.

And as has been mentioned before, you're a grown man with kids and yet you post like a retarded 14 year old kid. How do you expect people to take you or your comments seriously if you insist on those stupid f***ing smileys after every post?

Hopefuly as a mature adult you can sought the rubbish from gems if you can't thats not my problem,i like cows mate thats the way i am:moo::kiss::moo: not sure the word retard is the term the adults are using at the moment!???

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There is one final ingredient that could help the atmosphere and that is beer in the ground!!

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Wouldbe interested to know amongst those seating in wsu, how many are the ones who followed the Albion inthe 70's & 80's away and were involved in the fight to save the club . these older fans will number some of the most diehards and I suspect vocal.

Also the person that said GOSBTS could be strange after building up the atmosphere... Come off it. Ever been to a ground where the club song is belted out properly by everyone in the ground as the teams come out? That is always immense.

If Albion are going to try to change anything, do that. Get the words on the big screen and encourage everyone to sing it. 6 months down the line, we could have a new tradition that would really give our stadium an identity.

no one has ever sung along to gosbts in my memory,i suggested a new version a little slower and one that had a big build up! make it a bit of a dramatic intro just to give time for all to prepare to sing.It could be the signal to leave the bar and find your seat! who knows we might all even stand to sing it! note no smilies:facepalm:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There is one final ingredient that could help the atmosphere and that is beer in the ground!!

That is a very good shout. The great availability of beer will certainly help.

I still think though that the design of the stadium means the away fans will be loud for sure.

The West Upper us definitely the key. The biggest area, the closest to the roof so any noise made will be multiplied to the max. If the West Upper is quiet then the stadium will be quiet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here