Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans meeting at the Amex: making the atmosphere good

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Would love us to have something like this for Donny!

01PixOfWeek0405AH_304x337.jpg

cardscandvsuch like were discussed.

and also making sure people are back for the start of game at the start of thecsecond half in all sections!!!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
and that was me who said about the Hartlepool game....after we went 4-0 the game was killed off ! it was boring. anyway the point I was making was that what happens on the pitch reflects what mood the crowd gets into, and gus agreed actually.

interesting points tonight:
1. the management want the fans to forget singing songs and winding up the opposing fans and get behind the team
2. the stadium will not be open before 1 o'clock
3. tv, s around the concourses will be switched off/ show a message tonencourage people to take their seats and get behind the team. 15 minutes before ko
4. there will be a selection of loud music to wind the atmosphere up and in effect dround out the away fans, which is what happens to us at away games
5. the team will come out to GOSBTS.....I suggested that this may sound odd if we have been wound up by fat boy slim etc etc.
6. Tony Bloom and gus want the crowd to really lift the team even when we are not doing well.
7. Gus was not very happy about boo,ing. he said that some players really react badly and he is happy if you want to tell the players what you think, BUT do that after the game, not during it.
8. there is no point 8.
9 richard hebberd and ken brown were really positive and there are many things going on with things like t

Item 3 for me stands out, everyone should be at their seats to welcome our boys onto the pitch !!

Stumpy Tim

Anyone else there find it a bit odd that they asked a crowd of predominantly guys in their mid-50's how to get the atmosphere going? Gus rolled his eyes at me on more
than one occasion - including your Hartlepool comment Dave!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone else there find it a bit odd that they asked a crowd of predominantly guys in their mid-50's how to get the atmosphere going? Gus rolled his eyes at me on more
than one occasion - including your Hartlepool comment Dave!

fair enough, I am not going to loose sleep over opinions.

with regards to ages, they were representatives of supporters groups...a21, bur wash, mid Sussex and a few of us nscers....didn't think ben or notters or the other lad - sorry cant remember his name were in their 50's. I think bozza asked for people who got the crowd going...that is why I went...what about you?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Gimmicks don't and won't make any difference. It's all about having the right people together in the right place, when a group of people are up for it none of the other stuff matters.

Why do away fans make more noise than home fans in almost every ground? Two reasons: 1) Thay're mostly the hardcore supporters who are up for it and all grouped together. 2) They can push the boundaries a little bit without fear of getting kicked out and losing their season ticket.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
and that was me who said about the Hartlepool game....after we went 4-0 the game was killed off ! it was boring. anyway the point I was making was that what happens on the pitch reflects what mood the crowd gets into, and gus agreed actually.

interesting points tonight:
1. the management want the fans to forget singing songs and winding up the opposing fans and get behind the team
2. the stadium will not be open before 1 o'clock
3. tv, s around the concourses will be switched off/ show a message tonencourage people to take their seats and get behind the team. 15 minutes before ko
4. there will be a selection of loud music to wind the atmosphere up and in effect dround out the away fans, which is what happens to us at away games
5. the team will come out to GOSBTS.....I suggested that this may sound odd if we have been wound up by fat boy slim etc etc.
6. Tony Bloom and gus want the crowd to really lift the team even when we are not doing well.
7. Gus was not very happy about boo,ing. he said that some players really react badly and he is happy if you want to tell the players what you think, BUT do that after the game, not during it.
8. there is no point 8.
9 richard hebberd and ken brown were really positive and there are many things going on with things like t

Some interesting points, but it's mostly futile nonsence. Point 4) about the music is one of the worst things about modern day football. What is the point of drowning out away fans if the home fans are drowned out as a result. You end up with the entire crowd drowned out by some poxy shit pop music - Stoke away this season is a very good example. Can anyone on here honestly say they get psyched up by the music before a game?

You can't force it otherwise the whole thing ends up a sanitised mess, atmosphere needs to happen organically. It needs to be ALLOWED to happen organically, not stifled by loud music, wavey flags, inflatable happy clapping devices etc etc. All of that shit diverts the attention from what made english football atmosphere great in the first place - singing.

Of course the point in my last post stands above all else - If the right people aren't in the right place and aren't up for it then nothing will happen, it's like watering a piece of barren soil and expecting plants to grow. In that case you might as well have music, flags, happy clappers etc, but in the first instance at least give the Amex crowd a chance to do it by ourselves.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was going to start an ***official*** thread about this tomorrow but Dave's covered most of it. Perhaps I will anyway, as many may not have read this?

Feb 14, 2010
Gimmicks don't and won't make any difference. It's all about having the right people together in the right place, when a group of people are up for it none of the other stuff matters.

Why do away fans make more noise than home fans in almost every ground? Two reasons: 1) Thay're mostly the hardcore supporters who are up for it and all grouped together. 2) They can push the boundaries a little bit without fear of getting kicked out and losing their season ticket.

Nail on the head. Flags are great for the family stand but anyone over 10 years old waving one needs to look at themselves, and that goes for wearing replica shirts as well. Be interesting to see if Tony Bloom has told Mr Hebbard and the stewards to wind their necks in this year. I hope so, the style of football that Poyet has brought deserves loud support, just like they get away from home. Time will tell. As for Sussex by the sea, well it was the battle song of the Sussex regiment and what a piece of history that is, you cant buy that history, something palace know, just look at them, they run out to some naff pop song the poor sods!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Some interesting points, but it's mostly futile nonsence. Point 4) about the music is one of the worst things about modern day football. What is the point of drowning out away fans if the home fans are drowned out as a result. You end up with the entire crowd drowned out by some poxy shit pop music - Stoke away this season is a very good example. Can anyone on here honestly say they get psyched up by the music before a game?

You can't force it otherwise the whole thing ends up a sanitised mess, atmosphere needs to happen organically. It needs to be ALLOWED to happen organically, not stifled by loud music, wavey flags, inflatable happy clapping devices etc etc. All of that shit diverts the attention from what made english football atmosphere great in the first place - singing.

Of course the point in my last post stands above all else - If the right people aren't in the right place and aren't up for it then nothing will happen, it's like watering a piece of barren soil and expecting plants to grow. In that case you might as well have music, flags, happy clappers etc, but in the first instance at least give the Amex crowd a chance to do it by ourselves.

Believe me, these points were made over and over again, though I think some people appreciated them more than others.

Feb 14, 2010

nail on the head again - re think at the club please

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Must admit, a big away following is something I'm looking forward to. It always adds to the atmosphere and noise levels. Just think, there may well be quite a few Albion fans never to have experienced such a large away crowd. I'm old enough to remember the entire East terrace at the Goldstone being given over to away fans for the bigger games.

the entire east terrace when was tht then..i dont recall the whole ''chicken run'' being tht way..but hey i might b wrong

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The only mistake the club have made is putting the away fans behind the goal. Should be tucked in a corner. I fully expect us to be outsung every home match this season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
the entire east terrace when was tht then..i dont recall the whole ''chicken run'' being tht way..but hey i might b wrong

Arsenal in the cup in 87/88 had the whole East Terrace for starters.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Believe me, these points were made over and over again, though I think some people appreciated them more than others.

Good stuff, from GWs initial post it sounded like the club were only taking advice from some 50 something real ale drinkers who were going to saddle us with all sorts of horrific stuff that should be aimed under 10s.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
One would imagine a lot of Albion fans were at the county ground tonight.
If any team goes 4-0 up the atmosphere is bound to be somewhat flat, 2-2 then there's a buzz. Most people prefer to see a contest rather than a precession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here