Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
This is just another non-story to get the nimbys hopes up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In fact, the only person before this I remember talking about a hotel on site was Simon Barnes of Falmer Parish Council.

Originally posted by Lord Bracknell
Simon Barnes has an understanding of the truth that would have made Joseph Goebbels proud.

For years, he has been peddling the Big Lie that the Albion intend to support Falmer with a massive hotel and office development that would compare with John Madejski's scheme at Reading.

The last time I saw him wheel out this black propaganda was at the Lewes District Council meeting in December, when he managed to slip it into the supplementary question he asked at Public Question Time.

Like all Big Liars, he relies on the gullibility of the ignorant. That's why he gets a hearing within LDC circles.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Large One said:
Ask him where he grew up. He'll tell you Tivoli Crescent North. At least, that's what he told me. But don't take my word for it...

martin.perry@bhafc.co.uk

From my dealings with Martin Perry from when he was new at the Albion nearly 10 years ago, I'm certain he was not a football fan at all, let alone an Albion fan.

That became clear in the way he talked about football - they were the words of someone who clearly did not have much idea what he was talking about.

But, that said, it's irrelevant. He has undoubtedly grown to love the Albion and has spent much blood, sweat and tears trying to get us the stadium we feel we all deserve. The fact that he is a paid employee is neither here nor there. If anyone thinks Martin works a minimal 9-5 and just goes through the motions then they are much mistaken. An undoubted Albion legend in the making.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Apart from the fact that neither the Argus nor the BBC have picked this up, it says a lot about the merit of this story that in the Meridian running order, it was below a disabled man whose phone had been cut off.

Of course the club investigated lots of ways of funding a new stadium before they submitted a planning application. I'm not terrifically suprised that one of them was a hotel, in a Bolton or Reading style.

But for pete's sake, it was an idea that was tossed about a bit and then rejected. There was a crucial flaw in the Meridian piece... that "the club had rejected Sheepcote Valley because it only has one road link". Uh uh. A Government Inspector rejected Sheepcote Valley for this reason. I can't believe that there was no mention of the reopened planning Inquiry in the entire package.

The story really is "a long time ago, Brighton and Hove Albion thought about developing a hotel. Then they decided not to."

This is a serious case of a silly journalist believing what Norman Baker says. Again. His comments about it being "dynamite" are complete guff.

Falmer is still the only option because, er, the club have decided it is the only option. Unfortunately, a lot of people who aren't quite as obsessed with this story as we are will now think "But I saw on the telly that the football club are going to build a hotel with their stadium" or something -- all thanks to that lying, snivelling little cretin Norman Baker.

I'm sure comments on the editorial merit of this story would be welcomed on

MeridianNewsSouth@itv.com AND dutyoffice@itv.com

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He used to live in the same cul-de-sac as a mate of mine in Surbiton or somewhere nearby. My friend (a QPR fan) was very surprised at an Albion match a few years ago when he saw Martin there.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
dougdeep said:
This is just another non-story to get the nimbys hopes up.
Absolutely! More disturbingly, Meridian's coverage carefully excludes all facts that destroy its Falmergate stance.

No dates for the leaked e-mails nor the Albion's planning application.
No recognition that the planning application actually submitted excludes hotels altogether.
Highly selective ' rural idyll' footage at the site, excluding any view of ugly buildings and surrounding roads, thereby bolstering Baker's outrageous 'open country " claim.
No mention of next week's High Court session, nor why it's happening.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bozza said:
From my dealings with Martin Perry from when he was new at the Albion nearly 10 years ago, I'm certain he was not a football fan at all, let alone an Albion fan.

That became clear in the way he talked about football - they were the words of someone who clearly did not have much idea what he was talking about.

But, that said, it's irrelevant. He has undoubtedly grown to love the Albion and has spent much blood, sweat and tears trying to get us the stadium we feel we all deserve. The fact that he is a paid employee is neither here nor there. If anyone thinks Martin works a minimal 9-5 and just goes through the motions then they are much mistaken. An undoubted Albion legend in the making.
True, I would say he has the hardest job at the club, having to deal with bureaucrats, dickheads, ecologists and lawyers on a daily basis. But to top it all off, he also has to deal with some fans who come across as brain-dead. I think that would be enough to tip most people over the edge.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gilliver's Travels said:
Absolutely! More disturbingly, Meridian's coverage carefully excludes all facts that destroy its Falmergate stance.

No dates for the leaked e-mails nor the Albion's planning application.
No recognition that the planning application actually submitted excludes hotels altogether.
Highly selective ' rural idyll' footage at the site, excluding any view of ugly buildings and surrounding roads, thereby bolstering Baker's outrageous 'open country " claim.
No mention of next week's High Court session, nor why it's happening.
Who was the reporter?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
The Large One said:
The poodle bimbette? f*** sake, she really ought to know better. I see her around town now and then. I'm going to give her a piece of my mind when I next see her. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Look what I found on the Brighton Punk site...

"Whittingdale, Marcella" <marcella.whittingdale@granadamedia.com> November 2003
Hi there, I'm writing to you from Meridian TV - I'm a reporter who works from their Brighton office, just opposite the Palace Pier. I am trying to get in touch with people who know the musician, Graham Coutts, and I was wondering whether you might spare the time for a really quick chat with me. If that is something you might be happy to do I would really appreciate a call on 01273 572 555 or 07958955 614. Alternatively, as I am a Brighton-based reporter, I could come along to meet you at any upcoming gigs you might be having. Either way it would be great to speak to you. Many Thanks, Marcella Whittingdale, Meridian Broadcasting

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Hmmm, just who can you believe these days.

I've been in Ireland and was playing golf yesterday with someone I had never met, but who knew a lot about the Falmer situation from the building side.

Is it true that the University (or whoever owns some of the land we are buying) are about (or have done already) to drop the bombshell on the club that the land has been re-valued as the process drags on 3 or 4 times higher than the original price.

Time the club told us the truth (or are we to be treated like idiots in fear of being disloyal)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rougvie said:
Hmmm, just who can you believe these days.

I've been in Ireland and was playing golf yesterday with someone I had never met, but who knew a lot about the Falmer situation from the building side.

Is it true that the University (or whoever owns some of the land we are buying) are about (or have done already) to drop the bombshell on the club that the land has been re-valued as the process drags on 3 or 4 times higher than the original price.

Time the club told us the truth (or are we to be treated like idiots in fear of being disloyal)
I thought the land was a done deal. It's part owned by the University of Brighton, and part owned by the City Council.

You pal is possibly referring to when there was the case when this thing was bring dragged out (and held up the first Public Inquiry by about six weeks) that the valuation of the land by the University differed by '3 to 4 times the amount' of the valuation made by the club. That was all sorted out in the end and the Public Inquiry continued.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here