Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Shock! - No Need for the Case to go to Court

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is apparent to me is that these delaying tactics are currently working for LDC.

Falmer costs have prevented us signing players / forced us to sell players that will, barring a miracle, see us relegated. Season ticket sales are, as a result, sluggish. All going according to plan for LDC, I would say.

I don't buy the argument about LDC / Falmer PC wanting "to save face". A little victory won't make any difference - for them it's all about either winning the case or bringing the club to it's knees. They'll justify any loss in the same way that the pro-hunting lobby justified their fight - it's a moral crusade and they're duty-bound to oppose New Labour urbanite forces.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Sounds like fantastic news to me...he will make his decision again and decide yes again and, despite what the argus say, if they challenge the other point there is virtually zero chance of the judge not throwing it out as several public enquiries have shown that falmer is the only site.

I'm dead chuffed :albion:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Maybe North Stand Chat won't break like last time when Prescott finally announces a yes decision. Again.

Albion to stay up on the final day of the season and Prescott to announce a second and final yes decision to Falmer. Oh, and England to win the World Cup.

2006 to be the best year ever? :wave:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes it is frustrating that this has happened and yes its even more so picturing the smug face of de Vecchi. But lets take out the emotive part and see where we are at.

We do not have to face a JR yet which was never pencilled in, but lets say June. Prescott would then need to digest the JR findings. His reply might not have come out until August/Sept and who knows what that might have contained. It could have asked for the same things as he has asked for today.

So for starters I would say that we are at least 2 months ahead of where we might have been .

Now lets look at LDC possible reaction. One of their main arguments has been ceded, but ODPM have more or less caregorically said that it will not affect the decision. ODPM have also said that there are no other grounds for review. Now this has come from Treasury Solicitors who have obviously looked at it again after ODPM own solicitiors mucked up. So thats two Govt Depts looking at this afresh and still coming up with the conclusion that the stadium should be built.

We have a more watercase decision now than we had a week ago.

LDC have had there day, its now time for them to accept the decision. Doing otherwise will break their bank.

What we really need to do is wait until ODPM sends out their revised letter in August and then:

in our hundreds if not thousands write to LDC asking them now to accept the decision and

prepare a massive petition from local Lewes residents saying the same thing.

In August we need to pile on the pressure, but local pressure.

All in all, its actually better news than when we heard a JR was going ahead, cos we now know that ODPM are four square behind us.

And we wont fold in the meantime. We haven't come this far to fail. In years ahead we will be looked upon as the fans that saved this club. Maybe we should have our own statue at Falmer!

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
fake slim said:
Sounds like fantastic news to me...he will make his decision again and decide yes again and, despite what the argus say, if they challenge the other point there is virtually zero chance of the judge not throwing it out as several public enquiries have shown that falmer is the only site.

I'm dead chuffed :albion:

Agree totally. Both the public enquiries proved there was nowhere else, so now LDC are rather exposed with what else their challenge actually has to offer.

And on the field matters do not matter on this one. Yes LDC may have achieved their objective of sending us down this season by stopping us from signing one or two players, but roll-on a few years time when we are at the top of the Championship or even in the Premiership, when LDC will want to be seen to be involved with the club, and we can quite rightly tell them to f*ck right off...

:clap2:

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
Lord Bracknell said:
That's as ridiculous an argument as the one suggested by sullyshuffle earlier in the thread that the whole thing is a conspiracy designed to divert our attention away from tomorrow's big match against Southampton.

:jester:

Sorry couldn't resist with Des Irae being away on leave, I thought someone else should step up to his mantle and play devils Advocaat

:glare:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
And also remember that the government will want to be seen promoting sport and its associated infrastructure from now till 2012 so it is hardly likely to delay or stop the building of a brand new iconic sports stadium just down the road from the Olympic games!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
Were they on the Cluedo board ?

Don't you mean Haven't a Cluedo Board?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Seagull73 said:
Agree totally. Both the public enquiries proved there was nowhere else, so now LDC are rather exposed with what else their challenge actually has to offer.

And on the field matters do not matter on this one. Yes LDC may have achieved their objective of sending us down this season by stopping us from signing one or two players, but roll-on a few years time when we are at the top of the Championship or even in the Premiership, when LDC will want to be seen to be involved with the club, and we can quite rightly tell them to f*ck right off...

:clap2:

Very eloquent. Also, i would think that LDC would be rather aghast at this as it means less delay and their main point wiped off without doing any damage. Presumably they are just using delaying tactics hoping we'll fold and now no court delay...i disagree with the argus, i bet they're not happy....good :clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
DIFFBROOK said:
Maybe we should have our own statue at Falmer!

Like the ones at what was originally called SkyDome in Toronto?

Skydome.jpg

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That LDC statement describes the error as "a fatal flaw", i.e highly significant in LDC's judgement.

However, the statement refers to other equally-significant errors, so I can't see why they would drop their appeal or deviate one iota from their course of delaying tactics and then High Court action.

It seems as though ODPM has given them an opportunity to pull out now but I can't see it happening.

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Not old news to me. Actually, pretty interesting. Given that they are discussing the implications of the letter with the backers NOW, isn't NOW the time for Lewis residents to be writing to Lewis Council telling them what a waste of public funds taking any new Prescott decision to the High Court would be?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I was also under the impression that the High Court could not 'quash the decision'. It doesn't have that power over planning matters does it?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Seagull73 said:
I was also under the impression that the High Court could not 'quash the decision'. It doesn't have that power over planning matters does it?

That is my understanding too. All they can do is question the route to Prescot making the decision, not the decision itself., so the question is, this latest "mistake" apart, is there anything else in Prescot's statement that could be called in to question?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Basically, we've just got to thrash the living daylights out of the Saints, tomorrow. Show LDC that they're a barmy bunch of s0ds and that they've not got us down.

Lots of noise, lots of passion, get behind the lads tomorrow and lets suck the ball into the net. Five times over.

Come on you Super Seagulls :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I don't seem to remember The ODPM letter describing the error in JP's decision as "fatal"?

Seems ironic that LDC are happy to use the word fatal in their press statements when they seem to get the police invovled with any similar wording by falmer supporters!

LDC are really trying to stir things up beyond there remit as a local authority dealing with a planning application.

It seems to be a personal war between LDC and the ODPM with the football club stuck in the middle.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thank you Lord B for diverting that onrushing train I thought I saw.

However, it still seems from the LDC press release that they may not accept the ODPMs offer to drop the case for him to make a new decision. That would clearly give him the opportunity to tighten up on the other points they have raised, and I think they will keep the pressure on while they've got the government on the back foot.

Despite everyone's positive spin, this sounds a bit like the "Village Way South is good news for the club" moment, where the club were putting a positive spin on something that wasn't good news at all.

I doubt the ODPM will be allowed to get it wrong twice, so ultimately it should be good news, but I'm remaining a little pessimistic in preparation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The bottom line is that, quite clearly, LDC are NOT going to back out of taking this to a full Judicial Review just on the basis of the Government admitting their f***-up in their letter of consent.

"There are other flaws in the Falmer decision that are just as significant. The action that is currently going forward in the High Court would look at all the flaws in his decision and not just the one over the Brighton and Hove Local Plan".

They've gone too far just to drop it now. Seems to me that this IS going to court, no two ways about it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here