Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Shock! - No Need for the Case to go to Court

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gaffer said:
FWIW my take on today's news after chatting to a lot of folk .

The problem for the club is this is not about a new Football (Community) Stadium. It is about the significant number of people who hate football with a passion that matches ours for the Seagulls. To them football is about crass behaviour by footballers and supporters. . They cite players swearing, spitting, cheating and fans being foul mouthed, drunk and violent .

They are therefore determined not have a stadium on the "beautiful South Downs" and they would not shed any tears if a club went to the wall.

I have been told all this most forcibly by residents of Seaford when trying to persuade them why Falmer is needed. There is also a very strong belief that Brighton City is dumping it's problems onto the Lewes District. Falmer, the new sewage works at Peacehaven, the new incinerator at Newhaven all schemes which are to serve Brighton. That's how it's seen.

Now that Lewes DC have "won" there will many residents urging them to go for the kill. Falmer Parish Council, Sussex Downs Conservation Board etc will not give up at this moment. They scent victory and will use even more the first 2 enquiries that rejected Falmer.

Most folk from the club and Brighton Council were convinced that ODPM would make darn sure that the Presott letter of approval would be so watertight that any attempt to go for a Judicial Review would be nonsensical. Yet ODPM gets it wrong. Who can feel confident now that there is not another planning/legal issue that will lead to further delay or even worse?

In addition we know that the enabling building works by Brighton University are running late.

I admire the positive spin put on today's news by the club and others but I would not put a lot of money on our chances of playing at Falmer in this decade.
That's possibly one of the downsides of talking to so many negative people.

Remember, it's Lewes District Council that's creating the problem. They have an absolute stonewall opportunity to make the town of Lewes far more wealthy and prosperous than it is now. The only direct effect on the town will be positive, especially in financial terms. And a prosperous Lewes ought to mean lower council taxes in Seaford. And all paid for by people on their way to Brighton.

Having a perception of the City of Brighton & Hove, and Brighton & Hove Albion fans is one thing - the reality is, of course, something different, and their opinion is based largely on fantasy. Lewes have 'won' nothing more than a small concession from the government to look at the planning approval decision over a technicality. They are certainly over-playing the power and importance of Lewes District Council, who, in national terms, are little more than an irritable distraction. They certainly carry very little weight with the current government.

Point is, Lewes' lawyers looked at the letter, decided they could challenge on X, Y and Z issues. The government's lawyers looked at Lewes' challenge, and, 'built up environment' statement aside, believe it is bollocks. And they are prepared to go to court over it - if necessary. This process merely gives all parties an opportunity to keep this out of court.

Now, Lewes Disitrict Council is the only party that believes the High Court is the best route, and are even more isolated as a result of it.

I will keep saying this if I have to - the government wants the stadium to go ahead. Lewes District Council will not change the government's mind. And, yes, I am going to say it... FACT.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The Large One said:
[ow, Lewes Disitrict Council is the only party that believes the High Court is the best route, and are even more isolated as a result of it.

I will keep saying this if I have to - the government wants the stadium to go ahead. Lewes District Council will not change the government's mind. And, yes, I am going to say it... FACT. [/B]
LO I agree with much that you say except Falmer PC are not giving up the fight.

I agree Prescott will not change his decision but I am not that confident that there is not another legal twist to this saga.

I stand by my comments re those who hate Football. It arouses a hate that no other sport does and in part we are fighting that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gaffer said:
LO I agree with much that you say except Falmer PC are not giving up the fight.

I agree Prescott will not change his decision but I am not that confident that there is not another legal twist to this saga.

I stand by my comments re those who hate Football. It arouses a hate that no other sport does and in part we are fighting that.
I am not doubting that last sentence there for a second. Stupidity and spite know no bounds.

Falmer PC wanting to carry on the fight and being able to afford to are two separate issues. They have not been able to put up their promised contribution for Lewes DC's challenge yet. Further expenditure does appear to be beyond them. Which is nice.

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
So now Prescott takes 3 or 4 months to wrote another decision letter and then those cvnts in Lewes make another challenge via a Judicial Review.

I am f***ing sick and tired of all this bloody pissing around.

Will someone drop a f***ing bomb on bloody Lewes!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
Drink some Harvey's awhile. And all of a sudden, the world will be a better place again.
I'll skip the Harveys, but theres some wine chilling in the fridge thats got my name on it for tonight. The missus is out, so I'm getting DRUNK on my own, playing poker.

That sounds sad, but it'll be good therapy for me after today.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
So,it takes a truckload of govt. lawyers all that time to come to a decision costing the club time and money,then they don't even know where the site is?

Encouraging,to say the least.

I bet the tealady,or bunwoman,at LDC saw it immediately.

Sad jokers.Sack the lot of 'em.

Watch out for the appllication to play in Dublin,then Basingstoke and Seagulls Albion at the national tiddlywinks stadium.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
South today news reporter (from the duck pond so as to make it look all twee and unspoilt....:angry:) quoted Lewis council saying they have lots of other things to contest. It's going to drag on and on for many years to come. And frankly I'm getting old! Maybe I won't be able to watch in Falmer in my lifetime? It's a disgrace and Prescott's people have let us down badly indeed. It should surely not have happened, what the **** had they been doing for past 5 years?

All this, and they've yet to find the Saxon burial ground "archeological find of the century" beneath Village Way which will add another 15years delay........ :censored:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
roz said:
This time around I think there really is a distinct possibility of them losing control, Gwylan because they've pushed their luck one step too far even given their previous immortality. And from what I've heard, an alliance with the Tories is probably not on the cards either.

Oh Roz, please let it be so. I don't live in Lewes but it will be worth a trip there to celebrate the dethroning of deVecchi.

Can't we rig up a guillotine on the bridge opposite the brewery so we can make sure the job's done properly? :D

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gaffer said:
FWIW my take on today's news after chatting to a lot of folk .

The problem for the club is this is not about a new Football (Community) Stadium. It is about the significant number of people who hate football with a passion that matches ours for the Seagulls. To them football is about crass behaviour by footballers and supporters. . They cite players swearing, spitting, cheating and fans being foul mouthed, drunk and violent .

They are therefore determined not have a stadium on the "beautiful South Downs" and they would not shed any tears if a club went to the wall.

I have been told all this most forcibly by residents of Seaford when trying to persuade them why Falmer is needed. There is also a very strong belief that Brighton City is dumping it's problems onto the Lewes District. Falmer, the new sewage works at Peacehaven, the new incinerator at Newhaven all schemes which are to serve Brighton. That's how it's seen.

Now that Lewes DC have "won" there will many residents urging them to go for the kill. Falmer Parish Council, Sussex Downs Conservation Board etc will not give up at this moment. They scent victory and will use even more the first 2 enquiries that rejected Falmer.

Most folk from the club and Brighton Council were convinced that ODPM would make darn sure that the Presott letter of approval would be so watertight that any attempt to go for a Judicial Review would be nonsensical. Yet ODPM gets it wrong. Who can feel confident now that there is not another planning/legal issue that will lead to further delay or even worse?

In addition we know that the enabling building works by Brighton University are running late.

I admire the positive spin put on today's news by the club and others but I would not put a lot of money on our chances of playing at Falmer in this decade.

I agree with that which is why all those who keep saying that voting the Lib Dems out is the answer.
The vast majority of people over this way aren't bothered.

I do think we will get Falmer but when??

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
sgreenfield04 said:
back on the " we want falmer" chants tommorrow then!!

So depressing, though we were home and dry but another spanner in the works :angry: :angry:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Yorkie said:
I agree with that which is why all those who keep saying that voting the Lib Dems out is the answer.
The vast majority of people over this way aren't bothered.

I do think we will get Falmer but when??

The trouble is that sooner or later the bodies who have pledged funding for Falmer will think "f*** this for a game of soldiers" and instead pour money into improving facilities for hockey players in Godalming or other such similar wanky-toss.

Which is no doubt behind Lewes DC's cunning plans.

Jesus Christ I am SO f***ing depressed about all of this..............

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
"The Treasury Solicitor has advised that only one of the reasons for the challenge by Lewes has any merit."

Since when does the defendant decide whether there is a case to answer?

If the other claims aren't answered, there will surely be another application for a JR.

It's still in LDC's power to decide whether to delay this even further.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Screaming J said:
So now Prescott takes 3 or 4 months to wrote another decision letter and then those cvnts in Lewes make another challenge via a Judicial Review.

I'm not sure that is necessarily the case. The case is still going to be heard in the High Court, it is just that the decision will (hopefully) immediately be quashed, as the point has been conceded, and referred back to the ODPM. I'm not sure whether anyone can apply for a JR after the new decision is reached.

The real problem as I see it is whether or not LDC actually choose to accept the Government's offer to concede on just that one point. They may wish to continue to challenge the other points too, even though they don't actually amount to anything in my layman's opinion.

I think LDC will take it because it will get them out of the political hole they've dug themselves.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
LE2 said:
"The Treasury Solicitor has advised that only one of the reasons for the challenge by Lewes has any merit."

Since when does the defendant decide whether there is a case to answer?

If the other claims aren't answered, there will surely be another application for a JR.

It's still in LDC's power to decide whether to delay this even further.

I suspect that if LDC agree to take the Government's offer to concede on the one point, they'll also concede the opportunity to argue the other points by default - hence the dilemma I mentioned in my previous post.

Lewes District Council's press release is ridiculous.

The first thing for people to understand is that John Prescott’s decision has not been quashed. Only the High Court can quash the decision and they have not yet heard the case.

This is simply not true. Prescott has WITHDRAWN the planning permission. The Football Club have accepted that the planning permission has been withdrawn. Prescott's decision is withdrawn.

Therefore ... there is NO PLANNING PERMISSION for any stadium anywhere.

Imagine the scene in the High Court.

JUDGE:- Why are we here?

LAWYER FOR LEWES DC:- My client wants you to quash a planning decision.

JUDGE:- What planning decision is that?

LAWYER FOR LDC:- Er. There isn't one.

JUDGE:- f*** off and stop wasting everybody's time, then.

LAWYER FOR LDC:- Do I get my fee?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Time for some direct action-I'm fed up sitting around while those cocksuckers on LDC do all they can to kill our club.

Nice, good natured and humourous has got us nowhere so far.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Lord Bracknell said:

This is simply not true. Prescott has WITHDRAWN the planning permission. The Football Club have accepted that the planning permission has been withdrawn. Prescott's decision is withdrawn.

Nice one Lord B but ODPM presumably will grant planning permission again and that will be before a JR is heard. So Lewes will still be able to argue that permission granted is incorrect according to planning law and policies. Whether they will win is another matter. Meanwhile Lawyer for LDC income goes up and up and up and up

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

So I'm wrong in thinking that LDC have to agree to the planning permission being withdrawn?

Means that my last two posts are mostly bollocks then!!!

:lolol:

Kinky Gerbils said:
How many more years can the club carry on playing at Withers?
how much more debt can they take on?

I think we can carry on playing at Withdean for a few more years yet, not that what we want to, but the ground improvement decisions look even wiser in hindsight now.

How much more debt can we take on, I would guess a bit more, providing we limit that by staying within our budgets and staying within our modest salary cap. You would hope Albion supporters will see today's decision as a vindication of the board's strategy that we can't afford to chuck loads of money round to stay up in a division where we are financially outclassed by other teams. You'd hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here