Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - Headache for the Old Bill?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He was responding to me, not you. But I think this is time for me to bow out of this thread. It's proving a fruitless task trying to debate the subject with you. You keep moving the goalposts and I don't get why you resort to personal abuse so often.

I apologise but I don't much care for being called an arse licker because I agree with somebody who genuinely knows what they're talking about. I do get the feeling that there are some people who just like to be pessimistic at any turn. There's really nothing to substatiate claims of problems concerning Brighton though and yet some people are insisting that there is. As I have said there have been isolated incidents but absolutely nothing compared to the carnage of years gone by. Football hooliganism in this country whilst still about is now very rare thanks to the vastly superior technology and tactics plus the knowledge gained by previous experience.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well wowser there has been a little bit of naughtiness this season, unsurprisingly featuring the usual suspects of sad f*cktards who still have been unable to get a life. To extrapolate that into a prediction of weekly mayhem just because we have a bigger ground seems faintly ridiculous to me.

Whilst I do not doubt that for some high profile fixtures there may be some extra-curricular bother going on in town either on the night before or night after a game involving a couple of dozen retarded goons, I would imagine that the vast majority of home and away fans will be able to watch the games relatively unmolested.

Truth is there are flashpoint games every weekend in every league up and down the country and most people seem to be able to carry on with their lives unbothered, and the old bill do indeed seem to be pretty well prepared for most eventualities. The fact that someone quoted an off in Lancing after the Pompey game seems to prove this point as they would not have got away it in the centre of town.

There does seem to be an awful lot of misguided anticipation for potential trouble on this thread. Luckily most of us have moved on since the bad old days of 70's and 80's.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
It was actually a joke but of course Mr Humourless Boring Gull missed that, never mind.

Someones touchy today.

However on the subject of the thread i can't see any trouble actually happening in the stadium apart from between fellow Albion fans going by soem of teh threads this season about fisticuffs on away trips between fellow albion fans.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I hope there's going to be loads of trouble, high time some of the old traditions made a come-back. Not worth going to football unless there's a fight, what else is there to do?

Let's go back to the first post in this thread and remind ourselves of the question - Will the Amex be a headache for the Old Bill?

The answer seems to me, conclusively, to be: NO, it won't.

For the simple reasons that the world has changed and the stadium has been planned carefully, with public safety in mind.

I'm normally quite used to seeing bhaexpress in the wrong. On this occasion, he isn't.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
You asked to google some incidents from this year and I did. You are looking the moron.

Can't be bothered to talk to you , you are delusional

You've made yourself look a proper tool in this thread

Over and out !

you have been owned by mr dougal:glare:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sorry Lord B but the fact that Sussex Police are bringing in Met Police advisors for the early games suggests that they are a little rusty in the football policing department.

I would also ask a couple of questions to Edna,

1. Without being so rude as to ask your age, were you ever on duty at the Goldstone?

2. Would I be right in thinking that you could never post on here that Sussex Police were forseeing problems, as it would be 'frowned upon' at work?

The realities are that football related violence has MOSTLY gone away, but any sensible minded person would have to concede that with larger crowds, higher numbers of way fans, and our city being a great weekend away for groups of lads that more problems are likely to occur in the future.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
All I will say is that perhaps two or three seasons ago, I ended up working at an Albion home game, deemed a low risk one as almost all of them are, and then during the game got dispatched to the city centre where there was supposedly large numbers of away fans causing mayhem and trashing the place.

We arrive on scene, and there's maybe twenty guys from the away team standing outside a pub, all together of course (safety in numbers) shouting, singing and posturing towards a group of about eight Albion lads on the other side of the road, who were of course doing the same back. At some point I think a plastic pint glass with a small amount of lager in might have been lobbed on to the tarmac from one side (oh, the humanity!). A short while later, the away fans, whose club shall remain nameless, were directed towards a train and left the city.

Reading the write ups from some sources online afterwards, however, you'd have thought a massive, 1980s style kicking had taken place, with windows put in, the police struggling to cope, and blood & bodies flying all over the place. All I remember doing is standing around in front of the away lot to prevent them from leaving, if they could actually have been bothered to try. But you'd never have believed it was so tame from the bragging that was going on in various forums afterwards: you'd have thought they'd re-enacted the Football Factory for the day :rolleyes:

And that is where the trouble will be if there is any and none of the participants would have been to the match or be able to name their respective teams starting 11s

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The realities are that football related violence has MOSTLY gone away, but any sensible minded person would have to concede that with larger crowds, higher numbers of way fans, and our city being a great weekend away for groups of lads that more problems are likely to occur in the future.

This.

PC BHA

Sep 29, 2005
Sorry Lord B but the fact that Sussex Police are bringing in Met Police advisors for the early games suggests that they are a little rusty in the football policing department.

1. Without being so rude as to ask your age, were you ever on duty at the Goldstone?

2. Would I be right in thinking that you could never post on here that Sussex Police were forseeing problems, as it would be 'frowned upon' at work?

WQW,

In answer to some of your points,

We are not bringing Met Police advisors down for any game at The Amex, the only time you would see a Met officer is if the opponents were from London.

We have worked with the club ever since the first earth was moved at the Amex meeting with them almost weekly, going over the stadium design, stewarding and policing. In fact I am up there now nearly every other day and I expect that to increase as we get closer to the handover date.

Are Sussex Police looking forward to the Amex? Yes, who wouldn't, I am in the privileged position to see this from start to finish, and to open in the championship would be fitting for all supporters. Will there be challenges? Yes, we realise that and the club have a superb plan which we will support. Will we get it wrong? Probably, on occasions yes. Its a new ground, but it does not mean lots of thought and experience have gone into the planning of not only the design but the match day practises to ensure fans enjoy there day and this will continue once the Amex is opened.

Your last paragraph i can understand and yes the risk increases with larger numbers. But everything said above has included these scenarios so we hope to address this.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

1) Never on duty at the Goldstone, only ever there as a spectator.

2) No idea if it would be frowned upon, probably, but I think my powers of self regulation are fairly well developed: you have no idea how many times I have to bite my tongue on this site because of stuff I know through work, and I'm not just talking about football issues! Half the time I sit here and take all kinds of crap from people even when I know they're wrong, because it wouldn't be appropriate to disclose stuff.

With your last point, you are correct, then again I don't think I or anyone else has ever disputed that. Larger crowds mean a lot more planning and preparation for the police and club, but disorder is by no means as inevitable as a few posters would have you believe.
:thumbsup:

I imagine you think that my earlier mention of Richard Hebberd (and the subsequent quote from the BBC website by Sergei's Celebration) implies that he is some sort of "Met Police advisor" brought in for the early games.

Far from it. He has been working with the Club for many years. He is, indeed, a former Chief Superintendent in the Met, whose responsibilities included overseeing policing in North London (Spurs, Arsenal, Wembley). But he has been Safety Advisor and Head of Operations at Withdean for a very long time, to say nothing of his major role in the Amex Stadium project team ever since it was first set up.

If you knew that already, I apologise. But there is so much ignorant nonsense in this thread that I thought a bit of clarification might be helpful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here