Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - Headache for the Old Bill?

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Get arrested, get your name on the database. when the tickets carry a photo linked to your ticket,which we've been told will happen, you won't need to worry about any trouble.

Let's go back to the first post in this thread and remind ourselves of the question - Will the Amex be a headache for the Old Bill?

The answer seems to me, conclusively, to be: NO, it won't.

For the simple reasons that the world has changed and the stadium has been planned carefully, with public safety in mind.

I'm normally quite used to seeing bhaexpress in the wrong. On this occasion, he isn't.

I hope that you are right but I think that the delays that will occur in getting people away from the stadium, particularly by train, may make things a lot harder for the police, particularly if we're talking about 2000 'rival' fans. There is potential for trouble here, it's going to be interesting to see how the police are going to manage the away fans after a game.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Fully agree with Edna, London Blue, I think you are probably one of the aforementioned, living in the dark ages. Did you , by chance go to Charlton by train? At London Bridge supporters from Charlton, Millwall (enroute to Palace) and Brighton, passed each other with no problems. As Edna said, there was no platform to seperate them or to shout from ! Suggest you join the 21st Century!

In the 21st Century a year or so ago there wasa full-scale riot between Palace and Charlton fans down the line at Forest Hill station. Your London Bridge encounter does not include any fans "with history" against each other. For some reason Millwall and Charlton seem to coexist quite comfortably.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Let's go back to the first post in this thread and remind ourselves of the question - Will the Amex be a headache for the Old Bill?

The answer seems to me, conclusively, to be: NO, it won't.

For the simple reasons that the world has changed and the stadium has been planned carefully, with public safety in mind.

I'm normally quite used to seeing bhaexpress in the wrong. On this occasion, he isn't.

The Stadium might have been prepared with safety in mind Lord B but I don't see much sign that Falmer station has, if it ever could. Somewhere en route to and from the stadium fans, some drunk, some with "Attitude", some with a grudge, will mix.

That worked fine on Tuesday night, with a heavy presence of the Old Bill. And Bees fans are notoriously non-violent. But Leeds? Palace? West Ham possibly? Ermm....
#

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
There's a fair few people on this thread who when given evidence that there is still a culture of football violence in England seem to attach the blame to the people providing proof. Please - don't shoot the messenger. Lots of sneery comments about fat bald losers stuck in a time warp really show the level of ignorance about the whole thing. That's just a stereotype and a lazy one at that.

The fact that Brighton hoolies had a ruck with Tottenham/Aberdeen pre-season in Hanover and the season before with Southend hoolies a couple of miles away from Southend stadium shows that these people are better organised than the sneery brigade would have you believe and are also often one step ahead of the police intelligence. Before I get accused of anything I'm re-iterating, I've never taken part in this sort of thing and don't know anyone who does. One thing's for sure it's never gone away - it's just gone underground. For some people, they've taken this to mean it doesn't happen at all. Edna Krabappel's oh-so-clever comments are an example. Just because she's a copper doesn't mean she knows all the police intelligence on absolutely everything and neither does it mean that she knows, for example, what happened outside the Merry Monk pub when we played Pompey recently. I do, as a relative of mine witnessed it.

I don't doubt that the Amex will be very well policed with lots of CCTV around the stadium. Sadly, this does not mean that there will be no football violence surrounding Brighton games. As others have pointed out it will happen away from the ground as it does now. And there will be flashpoints at the station. Anyone who went to Brentford last week could see that. The Brentford kiddies were no threat but Falmer is likely to have opposing fans on the same side of the station and around the concourse and there is bad blood between some other clubs fans and Brighton.

The attitude to hoolies also interests me. You quite often hear from outsiders that they aren't 'proper' football fans. I disagree, quite clearly they are football fans - albeit they also bring the club's name into disrepute and I wish they didn't do what they do but for them it's a part of supporting their club. Football is a very tribal game and when you get opposing fans together tempers are often frayed and gestures and threats are made, we've all done it - flicked V signs at them and called them wankers - and 99% of the time it's just hollow talk. Just banter. But for some blokes they take it to it's (il)logical conclusion and actually have scraps. It seems to me that most of them want to scrap with like-minded opposing fans and personally, I think they should be left to it. Put them all in a field and let them kick shit out of each other. Last man standing wins.

I think the fact that lots of people say they have never seen football violence and yet it quite clearly goes on shows that us normal football fans have little to fear from these hoolies. They're simply not interested in aggro around the ground and in the glare of the authorities. There are obviously incidents where innocent fans are hurt around and to/from grounds but this is no different from innocent people getting picked on in pubs at weekends by similar-minded morons. I'm not suggesting that we tolerate this for one minute but what I do think is that these random acts will always occur. The mixture of Anglo-Saxon blood, testosterone and alcohol can create some real wankers out there.

Apologies for this long piece but I just wanted to get off my chest a few thoughts I have on the subject.

The Stadium might have been prepared with safety in mind Lord B but I don't see much sign that Falmer station has, if it ever could. Somewhere en route to and from the stadium fans, some drunk, some with "Attitude", some with a grudge, will mix.
I agree. They haven't spent a penny on changing the entrances to Falmer Station. It's still the same old wooden swing gates that were installed in the 1870s.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I agree. They haven't spent a penny on changing the entrances to Falmer Station. It's still the same old wooden swing gates that were installed in the 1870s.

I thought part of the planning permission was to spend money on improving Falmer Stadium to cope with the influx demanded by the need to encourage visits by rail rather than by car.

Jan 30, 2008
There's a fair few people on this thread who when given evidence that there is still a culture of football violence in England seem to attach the blame to the people providing proof. Please - don't shoot the messenger. Lots of sneery comments about fat bald losers stuck in a time warp really show the level of ignorance about the whole thing. That's just a stereotype and a lazy one at that.

The fact that Brighton hoolies had a ruck with Tottenham/Aberdeen pre-season in Hanover and the season before with Southend hoolies a couple of miles away from Southend stadium shows that these people are better organised than the sneery brigade would have you believe and are also often one step ahead of the police intelligence. Before I get accused of anything I'm re-iterating, I've never taken part in this sort of thing and don't know anyone who does. One thing's for sure it's never gone away - it's just gone underground. For some people, they've taken this to mean it doesn't happen at all. Edna Krabappel's oh-so-clever comments are an example. Just because she's a copper doesn't mean she knows all the police intelligence on absolutely everything and neither does it mean that she knows, for example, what happened outside the Merry Monk pub when we played Pompey recently. I do, as a relative of mine witnessed it.

I don't doubt that the Amex will be very well policed with lots of CCTV around the stadium. Sadly, this does not mean that there will be no football violence surrounding Brighton games. As others have pointed out it will happen away from the ground as it does now. And there will be flashpoints at the station. Anyone who went to Brentford last week could see that. The Brentford kiddies were no threat but Falmer is likely to have opposing fans on the same side of the station and around the concourse and there is bad blood between some other clubs fans and Brighton.

The attitude to hoolies also interests me. You quite often hear from outsiders that they aren't 'proper' football fans. I disagree, quite clearly they are football fans - albeit they also bring the club's name into disrepute and I wish they didn't do what they do but for them it's a part of supporting their club. Football is a very tribal game and when you get opposing fans together tempers are often frayed and gestures and threats are made, we've all done it - flicked V signs at them and called them wankers - and 99% of the time it's just hollow talk. Just banter. But for some blokes they take it to it's (il)logical conclusion and actually have scraps. It seems to me that most of them want to scrap with like-minded opposing fans and personally, I think they should be left to it. Put them all in a field and let them kick shit out of each other. Last man standing wins.

I think the fact that lots of people say they have never seen football violence and yet it quite clearly goes on shows that us normal football fans have little to fear from these hoolies. They're simply not interested in aggro around the ground and in the glare of the authorities. There are obviously incidents where innocent fans are hurt around and to/from grounds but this is no different from innocent people getting picked on in pubs at weekends by similar-minded morons. I'm not suggesting that we tolerate this for one minute but what I do think is that these random acts will always occur. The mixture of Anglo-Saxon blood, testosterone and alcohol can create some real wankers out there.

Apologies for this long piece but I just wanted to get off my chest a few thoughts I have on the subject.

spot on mate , some people aren't and never will be in the loop, deluded comments from some on here i believe.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
1) Never on duty at the Goldstone, only ever there as a spectator.

2) No idea if it would be frowned upon, probably, but I think my powers of self regulation are fairly well developed: you have no idea how many times I have to bite my tongue on this site because of stuff I know through work, and I'm not just talking about football issues! Half the time I sit here and take all kinds of crap from people even when I know they're wrong, because it wouldn't be appropriate to disclose stuff.

With your last point, you are correct, then again I don't think I or anyone else has ever disputed that. Larger crowds mean a lot more planning and preparation for the police and club, but disorder is by no means as inevitable as a few posters would have you believe.
:thumbsup:

I admire you self discipline edna, it must be hard being on a fans board doing the job you do. Any way back on topic, there will always be flashpoints, I have been to Stamford Bridge a few times, and believe me I think Falmer will be easier to police than Fulham broadway, but there is little trouble there. Chelsea have a notorious crew, and the police deal with double the crowd there, than will be at the Amex. I do believe that there are bound to be the odd scuffles by morons with nothing better to do. But as been said on this thread a few times, I'm sure the old bill will have it pretty much sussed.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
In the 21st Century a year or so ago there wasa full-scale riot between Palace and Charlton fans down the line at Forest Hill station. Your London Bridge encounter does not include any fans "with history" against each other. For some reason Millwall and Charlton seem to coexist quite comfortably.

'Full scale riot'? Surely you are not referring to the Sydenham incident...

Nail on the head.

Jan 30, 2008
I admire you self discipline edna, it must be hard being on a fans board doing the job you do. Any way back on topic, there will always be flashpoints, I have been to Stamford Bridge a few times, and believe me I think Falmer will be easier to police than Fulham broadway, but there is little trouble there. Chelsea have a notorious crew, and the police deal with double the crowd there, than will be at the Amex. I do believe that there are bound to be the odd scuffles by morons with nothing better to do. But as been said on this thread a few times, I'm sure the old bill will have it pretty much sussed.
i'm sure edna and darren are chomping at the bit :D

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I wonder if the old bill are going to walk the away fans to moulescombe station?? thats a long walk but a path has been done that could be an option.....just a thought and a nice walk for them LOL

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING

Totally agree with this :-( There will be trouble this season without doubt, i just hope that the sussex constabulary are suitably prepared which i doubt thet are gonna b :-(

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
But all the Hoolie vans will be parked there.

Anyone got a pick of the hoolie van???

Are sussex police going to get horses as they use horses from surrey at the moment.....tin pot plod LOL

Nov 20, 2003
hove
trouble

The pre season punch up in town spurs albion ect was arranged away from station ...Heres the funny thing the local ressies all took videos on phones ect a good few have been done on both sides ,you can get charged for just being their nowdays and you can get a 2year sentance with no preivious its just not worth it .These lads get life bans and have to sighn in on match days .Pedos actually get lighter sentances than hoolies in some cases .Not condoning it but sometimes the punishments are out of proportion to the crime ,those lads who all got time after the leeds match a few years ago is a perfect example all went to prison some first timers yet a week later there was a much more serious gang fight in a west street pub swifts I think and not one person involved did any time ,football is being made a scape goat for societies problems and for those involved in football violence its going to to get far worse as the authoities see it as a popularist crime makes the daily mail readers feel safe in thier beds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here