Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer For All Press Release - Early Day Motion Tabled in House of Commons

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
I emailed my MP today (Lynne Jones, Labour, Selly Oak), to thank her for signing the EDM, and had a swift reply on her behalf from her assistant, saying she had written to the "relevant minister at the ODPM" requesting any further information regarding a possible date for an announcement, and that she would email me a copy of any response she gets - which, of course, I will copy to here!

:clap:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I got a letter from my MP (Jim Cunningham (Lab, Coventry South)), saying he was happy to sign the EDM, and asking if there's anything else he could do to help.

I think we've got a good level of support, all things considered.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I got a letter from Nigel Waterson... little bit of a fob off. He said he sympatises with us and understands that there are a number of fans in his constituency, but given that its not his area and its a bit of a hot potato, he thinks its better not to have an opinion.

He does go on to say that he's "extremely disappointed" to see Baker oppose the plans though.

A nice letter, but ultimately negative. I think a gentle coaxing is required here.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Just recieved an e mail from Mr Charles Hendry MP for Wealden:

>From: "HENDRY, Charles" <HENDRYC@parliament.uk>
>To: "'Paul_McGarvey@Hotmail.com'" <Paul_McGarvey@hotmail.com>
>CC: "HEWGILL, Sylvia" <HEWGILLS@parliament.uk>
>Subject: RE: Early Day Motion 889
>Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:46:57 +0100
>
>Dear Mr McGarvey
>
>Thank you for your email about Brighton & Hove Albion's proposed new stadium
>at Falmer.
>
>As you may be aware, planning is outside the remit of Members of Parliament
>and it will not surprise you that I have constituents who have lobbied me on
>both sides of the argument! Neither the Planning Committee nor the Deputy
>Prime Minister are required to take any account of the views of local MPs.
>
>The main problem is that the proposed stadium is within the new National
>Park. Although I have opposed the creation of the National Park for the
>South Downs (precisely because it allows too much external interference in
>local matters) I am afraid the County Council has been caught up by its own
>support for the Park and the very stringent planning conditions it imposes.
>
>In the circumstances, I think it is best to leave this as a matter for the
>local planners and the Deputy Prime Minister's Office.
>
>Many thanks nevertheless for letting me know your views.
>
>Charles Hendry

and my reply to him asking him to check his facts:

Mr Hendry, Thank you for your reply, and consideration of this matter.

There are however an inacuracy in your reply that I feel I must point out. As this matter is very improtant to me.

Whilst I accept that the proposed site of the stadium is designated as an AONB at present, it is outside of the proposed boundry of the National Park. If and when National Park status is granted, the area will be de-classified as an AONB.

One must also question the current status as an AONB given that the site is bordered on on side by University buildings and on another a railway line and the A27 ( 2 reasons why this is such a good site for a stadium.

EDM 889 is now being supported by MP's from all Parties, in all parts of the country including

Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport Julie Kirkbride and M.P. for Bromsgrove, who has gone on record as saying:

, “A huge amount of effort has been put into these plans and the stadium would make a great use of the site, next to a station. The plan makes enormous sense. It's good for Brighton and Hove, good for fans, good for the local population and good for the Club. It's win, win, win all round and I very much hope John Prescott sees the good sense of this proposal. I am happy to lend any support I can in Parliament to make sure it goes ahead".

I therefore ask you to reconsider your decision not to support EDM889

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
You are right, Heffle Gull. Two years ago, the Countryside Agency redrew the boundary of the proposed South Downs National Park so that the VWN site fell outside it, thereby effectively designating the area no longer one of outstanding natural beauty. I made this point in my first letter to the ODPM. Doubtless, the missive was never read.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
If anyone else out there lives in Wealden, then get writing.

I find it hard to believe that Mr Hendry has had many letters against Falmer as his email claims

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Heffle Gull said:

I find it hard to believe that Mr Hendry has had many letters against Falmer as his email claims

Have done so, I'll post the reply.

Basler

Feb 5, 2004
Basel
Heffle Gull said:

Have done so as well (on behalf of my parents still living in the area) ...

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
I received confirmation from Andy that he is going to sign the EDM after the Easter recess. Top man who supported us in the dark days when he was involved with the FA. Has never forgotten us.

Paul Samrah

QUOTE]Originally posted by Sneaky George
Has Andy Burnham, MP for Leigh signed? He's a big football fan and is concerned with the plight of non-Premiership clubs?
I would have thought he'd support us.

Anyone know? Lord B?
[/QUOTE]

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Finally got a reply from Stephen Twigg MP.

He's unable to sign the EDM but has written to the prime minister on my behalf. He'll let me know when he receives a response.

What a sweetie.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Barnet Seagull said:
Finally got a reply from Stephen Twigg MP.

He's unable to sign the EDM but has written to the prime minister on my behalf. He'll let me know when he receives a response.

What a sweetie.

Was planning to strongly lobby Finchley and Golders Green MP Rudi Vis on the issue, especially as my folks' home has been used as the Finchley Labour Party base for the last couple of elections. But pleased to see he was one of the first lot to sign theEDM.
The need for a new stadium is, of course, an important one in that neck of the woods, so understand why he's noticed Brighton's plight - and would have been disgusted if he hadn't!
Hopefully Prescott evens up his department's f***ing-off of Barnet's plans by approving Brighton's (then approves Barnet's out of the blue, just for good measure. . .)

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I got a flyer the Hangleton and Knoll news on the back the title is The Albion, council tax and news.....

This is what it said

"Brighton and Hove Albion is a central part of the city's sporting heritage and its future is at risk. Any day now we will find out if John Prescott is going to let the club have it's new staduim in Falmer. I am at a loss to know why this should be up to a man elected by the people of Hull. Brighton and Hove City's Council commitee voted 10-1 in favour of the scheme. And over 60,000 residents signed a petition in support in a democracy, that should be enough shouldn't it?

Like most of you, I am determined to do anything I can help the Albion's campaign. A few weeks ago, I invited the conservative shadow secretary of state for sport, Julie Kirkbride MP, to join me on a visit to the falmer site with Dick Knight, chairman of the Albion. Julie is the most senior politician of any party to have visited the club in support of the staduim. She and conservative colleague, Sir Brian Mawhinney MP, Chairman of the Football League, have led the way in Parliament by being the first two to sign a motion urging John Prescott to approve the staduim. I have written to all the Conservative MP's asking them to do the same!!!!!!

Nicholas Boles Hove & Portslade Parliamentary candidate.

My initial reaction is our staduim is now so political that the conservatives are jumping on board to get votes etc but thinking about what he said. I'm feeling optimistic about John saying YES!!! What do you guys think???

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
I wrote to all Sussex Tory MPs just before Easter, and have now got replies from all bar two. None of them will sign, with the consensus view that Falmer is a planning matter, and outside their constituency, so they can't comment.

So, the logic goes like this then:

Planner (Mr Hoile) says that stadium is not of national interest, so cannot be built (on planning grounds).

Tory politicians say that no-one outside Brighton & Hove should be able to get involved, hence making it almost impossible to prove any national interest.

However, I was slightly heartened by the response I got from Julie Kirkbride (to whom I copied the letter), and I think she IS genuinely interested in the issue.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Well that's a surprise! Sussex Tories not bothering to help The Albion...nothing new there then. They have never raised a finger to help this club and if they were running the council a few years back we'd still be playing at Priestfield.

Tossers:angry: :angry:

I hope all you Sussex residents are now preparing to give them a rough ride in any future elections. How any Albion fan can vote for any of them is a complete mystery to me??? Saying that, how anybody can vote for them is a complete mystery to me.

They make me so f**king angry.:angry: :angry:

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
balloonboy said:

However, I was slightly heartened by the response I got from Julie Kirkbride (to whom I copied the letter), and I think she IS genuinely interested in the issue.

I got a response from Julie Kirkbride's husband, The Rt Hon Andrew Mackay, MP for Bracknell today- says he will sign when Parliament resumes next week.
Why didn't she tell him to sign before?

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Letter I received from Howard Flight:

Thank you for your recent communication asking me to sign EDM 889 – BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION.

I have received representations from many constituents regarding this EDM which has been signed by my colleague Julie Kirkbride, Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, on behalf of the Opposition Front Bench.

You will note that none of the Conservative MPs in West Sussex have signed this EDM; we have a long standing position to oppose any further developments that encroach into the Downs and feel that signing this EDM could damage that position when opposing future building projects.

Despite not signing the EDM, we are not actively opposing the stadium and I am happy to raise the points you made with the Deputy Prime Minister.

I am sorry if this response is not what you were hoping for but please do write in the future with any other issues that need my attention.

With Kind Regards

PP Howard Flight

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Exiled in Exeter said:
Letter I received from Howard Flight:

Thank you for your recent communication asking me to sign EDM 889 – BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION.

I have received representations from many constituents regarding this EDM which has been signed by my colleague Julie Kirkbride, Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, on behalf of the Opposition Front Bench.

You will note that none of the Conservative MPs in West Sussex have signed this EDM; we have a long standing position to oppose any further developments that encroach into the Downs and feel that signing this EDM could damage that position when opposing future building projects.

Despite not signing the EDM, we are not actively opposing the stadium and I am happy to raise the points you made with the Deputy Prime Minister.

I am sorry if this response is not what you were hoping for but please do write in the future with any other issues that need my attention.

With Kind Regards

PP Howard Flight

Another spineless, witless Sussex Tory. Bet he'd have signed it if there was some money for him in doing so or it was for a golf club, fox hunting stables or houses that one of their mates want to build.

They are such wankers :censored:

Have any of them actually taken the time to see this portion of "The Downs" they have their long standing position to oppose further encroachment onto?:angry: :angry:

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Kalimantan Gull said:
I think its a fair point, their support or otherwise won't make much difference but it could impact on them on other projects. They are not opposing it which is pretty good in context.

How does that saying go?

Something like "If you are not with me you are against me".

They are not supporting the Falmer bid so in my eyes they are doing what Sussex tories always do-f**k all for football in the county(ies). They are still believers in Thatcher's demented mantra that all football supporters are nothing but trouble and must be treated as sub-humans...unless of course there some free tickets so we can have a day out with the riff-raff and get some free food and drinks in the process.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here