Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer For All Press Release - Early Day Motion Tabled in House of Commons

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Looks like I will have to write to my weekday MP, Martin Linton (Battersea), because the other two MPs in Wandsworth (Tony Colman, Putney) and Tom Cox (Tooting), have both signed the Motion. Clapham Gull (if you're still around), if you live in the SW11 part of Clapham you will also be in Battersea. Anyone who is in SW8 west of Queenstown Road, most of SW12 west of Balham High Road or SW18 in central Wandsworth is in Battersea. Putney and Battersea are marginal constituencies, with fairly low majorities and were both Tory before 1997.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Just had a nice written letter from my local MP, David Chidgey (LD), welcoming me to the constituency and promising me that he has signed and fully supports the EDM. All I sent him was a brief email - secured my vote.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Next target number?

Norman Baker has two (vivisection-related) EDMs that have more signatures that the Albion one. One's at 101 signees, one's at 113. Be nice to overtake them, I suspect.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
It is excellent that we have now reached 100.

As the cabinet and government ministers cannot sign, does anyone know what the maximum possible number of signatures is? It must be some way short of the 659 or so who sit (occasionally!) in parliament.

Last edited:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Cheers for that Desert Orchid, and thanks for the useful link!

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Is it just me who loves reading this and realising we have over 100 MP's in agreement?

:clap2:

That this House congratulates Brighton and Hove Albion FC on its success since returning to Brighton in 1999; further congratulates the club for its hard work in partnership with the local authority and elected representatives to develop a community stadium at Falmer; believes that the only suitable site for a community stadium is at Falmer; welcomes the economic and socio-economic benefits that will accrue to the club, the community of Brighton and Hove and the local authority, directly through increased tourism, educational opportunities, skills-training and employment, which will also be beneficial for the country; further recognises that the development will complement national government objectives, by incorporating sustainable transport strategies and will promote social inclusion by providing a focus from which to build community programmes; welcomes the club's vision of building on its existing community links and expanding its successful Football in the Community programme within the new facility; believes that the community and wider benefits of the proposed stadium at Falmer far outweigh any negligible impact on the Sussex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty; recognises the evidence given by national organisations during the public inquiry demonstrating that the stadium is in the national interest; acknowledges the overwhelming public support for the plans at every stage of consultation; and commends the Falmer site proposal to the Deputy Prime Minister

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Woodingdean Gull said:
No, I read every new posting on this thread as well. I think it's brilliant that we've managed this response!

Me too. If we don't get Falmer there should be at least 106 pretty influential people asking why the hell not.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There's a few of us read this page regularly. Every time the last poster changes-I look.

I have a gut feeling that we'll know very soon. Don't know why-just seems about right to announce it sometime soon.

Hope I'm right 'cos this wait is doing me 'ead in.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I've at last emailed Martin Linton (MP for Battersea, where I sometimes live during the week), pointing out that his two Wandsworth colleagues have signed the motion. I am awaiting his reply.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here