Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer For All Press Release - Early Day Motion Tabled in House of Commons

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
We've got something from Bristol this week!

Just got a letter from Valerie Davey Bristol North West (Rovers country) saying that now she's back from her Easter holidays she'll sign the EDM.

What swayed it was that
a) its a three way marginal (imagine Beckham's love life but with politicians) and every vote counts.
b) Rovers themselves lost their ground and had to endure the hardship of weekly visits to Bath (all of 12 miles away).

If anybody wants any advice on what or what not to do in this wonderful city when the Albion are in town, jsut ask!

Bwian said:
How does that saying go?

Something like "If you are not with me you are against me".

They are not supporting the Falmer bid so in my eyes they are doing what Sussex tories always do-f**k all for football in the county(ies). They are still believers in Thatcher's demented mantra that all football supporters are nothing but trouble and must be treated as sub-humans...unless of course there some free tickets so we can have a day out with the riff-raff and get some free food and drinks in the process.
Some Sussex Tories would rather be taking sexually humiliating photos of two dead pigs in a seedy Spanish bar(see yesterdays Arsegust page 15)

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I notice there are still no Scottish MPs on there. Might I suggest a letter from a Scottish person to George Foulkes, the Labour MP who's also just become chairman of Hearts?

Also worth trying David Marshall who recently put down an EDM to congratulate Celtic on their chamionship victory.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
What about Steve Ovett or Cram or whoever that runner was that became an MP? Chances are he once ran at Withdean, maybe he can sign it!

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I notice there are still no Scottish MPs on there. Might I suggest a letter from a Scottish person to George Foulkes, the Labour MP who's also just become chairman of Hearts?

George Foulkes and Jim Sheridan (Renfrewshire West) have now signed.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Received a letter this morning from my Bristol MP. I had followed up the postcard with an e-mail requesting her to respond. She said she will sign the EDM when she is back there next week - Valerie Davey, 1 of the Labour MP's for Bristol - I shall be looking at the register next week !

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Kalimantan Gull said:
Yeah but I think George Bush claims that as his own, showing what a bunch of crap that statement really is

Regardless of GW hijacking it or your opinion that it is a crap statement-it IS an appropriate phrase when it comes to the tory support for Falmer in Sussex. Not ONE Sussex tory MP has supported our bid. They support no development in AONBs (real or imagined) so in my mind they are against us. At least Norman Baker has the balls to openly admit it-the spineless tories all send out identical limp wristed, wetfart messages when pressed explaining why they are unable to support Falmer. They'll all claim to have been supporters when it gets approval so be prepared for "We all had to toe the party line re: AONBs. We all REALLY REALLY wanted the stadium to go ahead. Honest-we all tirelessly supported your bid in the background"

Tossers!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I must admit that I've been one of the 'Vote Tory if you live in Lewes' brigade, however as you say Bwian at least Baker has been honest and consistent - he has put the interests of a tiny rural elite and a incredibly reactionary environmental view over the interests of the community. Fair enough. The Sussex Tory MPs have all been too spineless to express an opinion, other than to say "generally speaking we're opposed to building in an AONB". If ONE of them offers us congratulations/comiserations on the outcome I'll have even less respect for them than I do currently.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
I note that Brian Sedgemoor hasn't signed yet. He has recently put down the following EDM:

ARSENAL FOOTBALL CLUB 26.04.04
Sedgemore/Brian
That this House believes that Arsenal is the best club football team in the world at the moment and admires them for the fluency and poetry that they have brought to the beautiful game.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I had another letter from Barry Sheerman (Huddersfield) but this time it was backing off.

Thank you very much for your email and your campaign card on a community stadium for Brighton and Hove.
Whilst I believe that stadiums can hugely benefit local communities (as can be seen with the success of Huddersfield's McAlpine Stadium) parliamentary protocol prevents me from getting involved in a campaign on another Member of Parliament's patch.
I do however, wish the project every success.

What an excuse!! :rolleyes:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Sorry, but what a total :tosser:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Yorkie said:
I had another letter from Barry Sheerman (Huddersfield) but this time it was backing off.

Thank you very much for your email and your campaign card on a community stadium for Brighton and Hove.
Whilst I believe that stadiums can hugely benefit local communities (as can be seen with the success of Huddersfield's McAlpine Stadium) parliamentary protocol prevents me from getting involved in a campaign on another Member of Parliament's patch.
I do however, wish the project every success.

What an excuse!! :rolleyes:

What a great Parliamentary Protocol - so respected that at least 80 MPs have decided not to follow it, and sign the EDM.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
wokingone said:
Why is this subject still a sticky?

My view would be that

(a) Falmer is the most important issue facing this club
(b) The post card campaign/EDM issue is the current activity on Falmer

I for one look forward to Desert Orchid's daily updates. And I'm still writing to MPs:)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can we get to the 100? I think that would be worth a press release.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here