Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer For All Press Release - Early Day Motion Tabled in House of Commons

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I wrote to my MP (Jim Cunningham (Lab, Coventry South)) last weekend, and now he's signed.

I'm impressed with him over that. He's more likely to get my vote now...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have emailed Fatty Soames and while I was at it I pointed out that the stadium site was NOT an Area of Outstanding Beauty.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought the Tories supported us?

VOTE RCP you know it will make sense

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
David Miliband can't sign it (although he has been supportive) as ministers not allowed to sign EDMs - they are a means for backbenchers to have their say

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is 46 sigs good for an EDM does anybody know? How long does it stay open for?

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Desert Orchid said:
46 is exceptionally good for an EDM that relates to a particular geographical area - especially 1 that supports a planning application. But the more signatures we get, the better. Keep up the pressure.

Whether the MP in question signs the EDM is not necessarily the issue (although obviously the more the better). Even if he/she doesn't sign, our letters will have highlighted the matter. In the v near future (not sure precisely when) this will be further re-inforced via the post card campaign. Every little helps!

South Stand Zealot

Jul 8, 2003
Haywards Heath
MESSAGE FOR GOLDSTONE

WHOOPS !!!

Very much regret to advise you that the site of the stadium, both the field and part of the University of Brighton's campus, are both part of the AONB.

This is the problem even though once the boundaries of the South Downs National Park have been agreed the AONB designation for the stadium site is going to be descheduled and REVOKED. Ironic isn't it.

I have just written a 5 page letter to Nicky Soames advising of this and asking him to change his mind - he has written to me saying that he doesn't support developments in AONBs.

So there you have it.

I think our best chance is to draw to Prescott's attention the absurdity of the situation particularly in view of Hoile's report based on the present AONB status.

All the best and keep cracking away.

April 9th looms ever nearer.

:smokin:

:falmer: :bhasign: :falmer: :bhasign: :falmer: :bhasign: :falmer: :bhasign: :falmer:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Can people only e-mail their own constituency MPs re the EDM?

I ask as can't help noticing that 105 MPs have signed EDM 703 praising football supporters for getting more involved in the running of their club. And 83 MPs have signed EDM 193 bigging up the Football Trust's funding of community stadia.

Is it worth people e-mailing those names that feature on the above lists but not (yet) on the Falmer one, if only to point out that the Falmer EDM has been tabled (they may not be aware of it) and reminding them that they can add their name to it even though it relates to another constituency.

fataddick said:
Can people only e-mail their own constituency MPs re the EDM?
The FFA is organising this campaign on the basis that the most effective way of influencing MPs is for their own constituents to write to them.

That campaign is being remarkably effective, particularly the postcards.

My advice would be to wait for further guidance from FFA before contacting other MPs.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Message for South Stand Zealot:

Yes, I know that the site is part of the AONB. What I was pointing out to Herr Soames was that it was most definitely NOT an area of outstanding natural beauty even though it might have been designated as one and I suggested that he go have a look see.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would totally agree with Goldstone and his view on AONB but what must be rembered is that Nicholas Soames, like many Tories, is reliant on his consituents for support and votes and as most of those are people living in villages and the country as opposed to large towns he has to pamper to their needs. We are not worth as many votes to him as the villagers around Mid Sussex.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of course it is important that many building projects do not go ahead on AONB's, as most of them ARE areas of outstanding natural beauty. I'm sure a lot of MP's don't want to support this for the reason that it might come back and bite them on the arse when they (rightly) oppose other projects.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
One of my colleagues at work who wrote to their MP for me has just got a reply confirming that they will support the EDM:

Roger Berry, Kingswood (Labour)

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Well i think i've blown it with Tooting MP Tom Cox, after my usual 'angry and threatening' hand-delivered letter to his pidgeon hole at the Commons i was replied to in 48hrs!

here it is:

Dear Mr Close,
I have received your undated letter and note the comments you make.
I have to say very,very clearly to you Mr Close and to your colleagues,and you obviously are totally unaware of what parliamentary procedures are,I have no authority whatsoever to become involved in issues concerning another members constituency.
You cannot under any circumstances be totally unaware that Brighton and Hove Football Club is nowhere near my constituency.My advice to you is to very,very clearly liaise with the local Member of Parliament for that area,and i have to say to you I do not know in whose parliamentary constituency the local football club is sited.
Yours sincerely
Tom Cox

(hand signed)

I refuse to feel guilty about the tone of my letter and refuse to pander any more to these inept morons.All i did was threaten the withdrawal of my vote (and 5 friends), which is all we have.

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
Brixtaan said:
Well i think i've blown it with Tooting MP Tom Cox, after my usual 'angry and threatening' hand-delivered letter to his pidgeon hole at the Commons i was replied to in 48hrs!

here it is:

Dear Mr Close,
I have received your undated letter and note the comments you make.
I have to say very,very clearly to you Mr Close and to your colleagues,and you obviously are totally unaware of what parliamentary procedures are,I have no authority whatsoever to become involved in issues concerning another members constituency.
You cannot under any circumstances be totally unaware that Brighton and Hove Football Club is nowhere near my constituency.My advice to you is to very,very clearly liaise with the local Member of Parliament for that area,and i have to say to you I do not know in whose parliamentary constituency the local football club is sited.
Yours sincerely
Tom Cox

(hand signed)

I refuse to feel guilty about the tone of my letter and refuse to pander any more to these inept morons.All i did was threaten the withdrawal of my vote (and 5 friends), which is all we have.

Frankly, I find this unbelievable. Tom Cox SIGNED THE EDM, as made clear above. Why are you pissing him off? I hope he has not withdrawn his support.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
He signed it because of me then! My letter was sent weeks ago!

All power to democracy,all power to Labour!

Once the nimby's are removed then a march to North Korea methinks!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Has Andy Burnham, MP for Leigh signed? He's a big football fan and is concerned with the plight of non-Premiership clubs?
I would have thought he'd support us.

Anyone know? Lord B?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here