Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer delay......

Scott29

May 11, 2008
Hove
Who gives a shit! we have it, and it is starting oh so soon.

:clap2:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The time scales were always over ambitious. I guess they have just done a piss poor job of managing people's expectations over the time scale and perhaps have done little else wrong. Perhaps they should have bitten the bullet very early on and said "we will have this done by XXXX", factoring in any potential delays.

Glad to see you've tempered that from your earlier post.

They can't win, can they? I'm not sure at what at point you are suggesting they should have given us that date, but by 'very early on' sounds like you mean before the enquiries. So if they had said, say 2012, then you would have been happy with that? I certainly wouldn't! I would not have understood why building a stadium could take more than ten years and I think they would have been inundated with criticism that they weren't intending to build a stadium at all.

I think (but I don't know) that what we have been told has been what they believe at the time they have said it. I can relate it to a building project that I am involved in. What I told everyone four years ago was what I genuinely believed to be the case then. So much has changed, totally out of anyone's control, that what I said four years ago is now completely wrong. It wasn't bullshit, I wasn't lying. My predictions were based on what I knew at the time.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The way I read it was that the delay is now until Dec 2010 - the original completion date was due to be in time for the 2010/11 season. But they have decided not to move mid-season and are going to wait until the 2011/12 season starts. This gives them some flex in the timing for more delays without having to put back the date of the first match again.

aahh yeah thats a very good point, either way I'm not angry at an extra Year or less wait. Its abit like a computer game, the company says a release date and it keeps getting pushed back...roll on FIFA 2011 with Falmer in it :D

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The clubs biggest fault was putting forward unrealistic start/opening dates.

It was never set in stone though, was it. We were "hopeful" of being ready for August 2010 - the degree to which anyone was convinced that was a DEFINITE date is open to interpretation. The main thing for me is that work is going to commence as scheduled. As soon as those diggers are moving in, thats when it starts becoming a reality.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Okay then, 2011, I can live with that - at least it means I can have my favourite burger and chips for another year! This week the whole thing feels so much more tangible, what with archaeologists poking around, building contractors appointed, and the planning application being lodged.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Martin Perry said that the contract completion date is May 2011. I guess they will use the time between then at the start of the 2011/2012 season to hold the 'ramp up' events they have to have before the stadium can be used properly.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am going to put this forward as a very good " ramp up " event to Dick Knight.

May 2011
REMF 10

I am hopeful Dick Knight will allow on of the first ever games at the Falmer stadium to be BHAFC supporters V CPFC supporters.

That would be marvellous.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Of course dissappointed but not altogether surprised. I can take a delay as long as I know for sure that the thing is being built. I was more concerned about the credit crunch and banks ability to lend money. Until we get absolute reassurance I guess I will remain a tad concerned, although I understand why at this moment the Albion wont reveal all.

Anyway, things will look a lot different and be more reassuring once we can see the damm thing being built. For one I can then ram the pictures down a chelsea supporting colleague who keeps on asking with a smirk on his face is it actually gonna be built.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I am going to put this forward as a very good " ramp up " event to Dick Knight.

May 2011
REMF 10

I am hopeful Dick Knight will allow on of the first ever games at the Falmer stadium to be BHAFC supporters V CPFC supporters.

That would be marvellous.

Damn good idea. A petition on here to send to the club?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Didn't think of that. An REMF game at Falmer, now wouldn't that be a fine gesture to Robert Eaton . Great idea US

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As it happens it will coincide with the 10th anniversary game which will be a special event in itself. I think it would be a perfect curtain raiser to test the pitch etc and if publicised wll there is a very real chance of a 5000 crowd which would be incredible for the players but would be a massive boost to the fund.

I know Dick would look at this seriously.

Okay then, 2011, I can live with that - at least it means I can have my favourite burger and chips for another year! This week the whole thing feels so much more tangible, what with archaeologists poking around, building contractors appointed, and the planning application being lodged.
This post contains an interesting and instructive phrase. The sort of thing that can easily lead to a misunderstanding that ends up with the Club being blamed someway down the line for "going back on what they promised". When "what they promised" isn't quite what got reported in either the Argus or NSC or even the Club's own website.

The phrase is: "the planning application being lodged".

The planning application in question hasn't been lodged this week. In fact, it was received by Brighton & Hove City Council on 19 August 2008. This is confirmed on the City Council's website (find the Register of Planning Applications):-

BH2008/02732
Falmer Community Stadium
Land North of Village Way Brighton
Received 19/08/2008

The current status of this application is "received but not registered". Which means that the Council has yet to get round to publishing the details and starting the statutory consultation period that all planning applications have to go through.

I have no idea why the application hasn't yet reached the consultation stage. It may well be something to do with the fact that the Council itself is the landowner. But the fact that the details of the application are yet to be published is a cause of some of the delay.

This is out of the hands of the Club. And I'm led to believe things will move to the next stage sometime next week.

But I hope people can see the point I'm making. The Club isn't to blame for everything that contributes to a delay. They got this planning application in more than six weeks ago.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Well personally I'm delighted with this news. We were never going to kick off the 2010/11 season at the East Brighton Stadium.
I just hope that there are no Palace fans working on the stadium who try the hilarious burying a shirt trick! (Apologies if this has already been mentioned)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
As it happens it will coincide with the 10th anniversary game which will be a special event in itself. I think it would be a perfect curtain raiser to test the pitch etc and if publicised wll there is a very real chance of a 5000 crowd which would be incredible for the players but would be a massive boost to the fund.

How about tying it in as a pre-match to a pre season friendly, and negotiate a favourable split with the club (70% takings to REMF / 30% to club) - surely that would REALLY boost the funds for REMF...?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How about tying it in as a pre-match to a pre season friendly, and negotiate a favourable split with the club (70% takings to REMF / 30% to club) - surely that would REALLY boost the funds for REMF...?

Well BHAFC have offered the facilities for free at Withdean for 3 of the games so I am sure they will be generous.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Can people who played in the first game automatically play in the tenth? Regardless of age? (I'll be 54!) Or ability? (I'll still be crap - only older and slower)

Getting back onto the subject when I first saw the headline 'Falmer delay' I was expecting the worst, however having had time to digest it I've decided it's more good news than bad. The Council are apparently happy with the funding, we've got most of the site handed over to us and the contractor's been appointed. I never believed in August 2010 anyway so I'm not surprised at the slippage, although like others I wish the club had made a contingency allowance for unforseen delays - and we may not have had the last of them yet.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Could be one of the initial warm up events

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here