Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer delay......

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We've had to wait 11 years just to get this far, one more year added on the end is hardly the biggest of deals in the grand scheme of things, when you're talking about what will be our home for the next god-knows-how-many decades.

Just think what we're getting at the end of this and how we're going to feel when we take our seats there for the very first time...when that day comes, every last second we'll have had to wait will be more than worth it.

As a certain someone might say - keep the faith.

:albion2:

I'm with you, Frutos but it is frustrating, very frustrating. Another year at Withers is bloody depressing but I'm an Albion fan, I've been with them this long and I ain't going anywhere else so sod the doom-mongers and up the Albion.

Keep the faith, indeed.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
I think part of the problem is it seems (and it may not be the case but perception is often more important than reality) that the club were saying there would be no delays and everything was fine and now they are saying 'of course there were going to be delays'.

I can understand wanting to keep a positive outlook but perhaps just be a bit more upfront about things to start with.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Portlock Seagull et al, NEVER ever forget Stanley. It was Stanley, Bellotti & Archer - and I for one will never forget the part that all 3 played. Stanley in my view being the most culpable.

Together we will win!

Yes indeed (to both points). It was Stanley's money in the club and the implication was he wasn't prepared to lose any part if the club went into administration in 1993. Rather the strategy was to carry on, have loans paid back in 1996 and sell the ground in the meantime.

Of course administration would have been a scary thing at the time but nearly all clubs in that situation have come out of it far stronger.

Archer I seem to remember managed the Stanley Trust money. Bellotti as most people know was just a lap dog paid to take the flak.

Stanley was shrewd enough to let the other two take the blame and even now many fans still remember Archer and Bellotti... 'build a bonfire'.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
And why is it called stadium half done?

Probably because the upper tier has only been partially constructed. If and when they achieve the success that will make it worthwhile it will be completed to give a final capacity of around 30000. The current capacity is 22000.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Don't know about you lot, but I intend going there well before August 2011.

If they're having 'ramp-up' events, I want to be there. In fact, if there are a number of events in the offing to test it all out, so many people might well want to be there, that the 'official' opening could well be a bit of an anti-climax.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Probably because the upper tier has only been partially constructed. If and when they achieve the success that will make it worthwhile it will be completed to give a final capacity of around 30000. The current capacity is 22000.

Exactly! It is half done because that is how the MK Dons want the stadium at the moment. Not because the Buckingham group are inept.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I'm a bit disappointed the club have ruled out a mid-season move. Hull moved to their new ground, one of similar size to Falmer, mid-season, so it can be done.

I'm a bit disappointed the club have ruled out a mid-season move. Hull moved to their new ground, one of similar size to Falmer, mid-season, so it can be done.
The developer of the KC Stadium was Hull City Council. They built it for use by both Hull City and Hull FC. That might well have made a difference to the programming of the project.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The Falmer site on Wednesday this week - ready for action....

33lcxag.jpg
I was working at the uni yesterday and that picture is actually quite misleading. The stadium isn't going to fit in that little gap, most of that picture will be where the coach park is, and probably the south east corner of the ground. A large chunk will be going where the uni buildings currently are.

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Think you will find, although not spun like this, that Martin is factoring in for delays that are inevitable in any building project, let alone a relatively complicated one as this. Clearly we also dont have all the housekeeping ducks in a row yet. Far better to factor in the delays now in order to manage expectation than make another undeliverable promise.

I cant see it being anything else as surely our finances would dictate that we need to move in as soon as we can, and couldnt possibly have the luxury of a virtually complete stadium lying idle for 6 months while the debt interest builds up.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
The developer of the KC Stadium was Hull City Council. They built it for use by both Hull City and Hull FC. That might well have made a difference to the programming of the project.

Timeline for the Wembley stadium a project 3 times the size of Falmer and included demolition.

30 September 2002: Work finally starts on the new stadium.

July 2003: A 200ft footbridge providing improved access to the new stadium is put in place.

January 2004: Scaffolding collapses on the building site, killing one worker and leaving another seriously injured.

Wembley was scheduled to host the FA Cup final on 13 May

23 August 2004: Builders on the site strike after 200 men are sacked in a dispute over working hours and breaks.

14 August 2005: The FA confirms that it has booked Cardiff's Millennium Stadium as a back-up venue for the 2006 FA Cup final in case Wembley is not ready.

18 August 2005: Multiplex posts "very disappointing" profit figures, with the construction division of the company showing full-year losses of £26.1m, compared to £30.8m profits in 2004.
The Australian company says new risk control measures have been introduced and its only loss-making project is Wembley.

19 August 2005: The Guardian reports that under the terms of its contract, Multiplex must pay a penalty of £120,000 for every day the project is delayed beyond its handover date, with a maximum payment of £14m.

14 October 2005: Wembley Stadium reveals 9,000 seats for the new stadium - £300m-worth over the next 10 years - have already been sold.

8 December 2005: Football League chairman Brian Mawhinney predicts that the league play-offs finals, which are due to take place at Wembley after the FA Cup final, will instead by played in Cardiff.

19 December 2005: Multiplex warns there is a "material risk" the stadium will not be finished for the 2006 FA Cup final, and that it is facing losses of up to £70m on the project.

21 December 2005: London mayor Ken Livingstone expresses doubts the stadium will be ready in time for the FA Cup final.

3 January 2006: After a dispute, work starts on the main pedestrian walkway to the stadium. It is due to take 13 weeks.

13 January 2006: Multiplex says the wrong type of concrete has been used in the foundations, delaying construction.

30 January 2006: Multiplex's UK managing director admits there is only a 70% chance that the stadium will be ready for the FA Cup final in May.
The firm is committed to handing over the stadium on 31 March, but there are still risks which could affect finishing on time.

20 February 2006: Multiplex tells the Australian stock exchange that the FA is about to confirm that Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, not Wembley, will host the 2006 FA Cup final.

31 March 2006: FA confirms all matches scheduled to be played at Wembley this year will have to be switched to alternative venues.

12 June 2006: The first strips of turf are laid at the new stadium.

3 July 2006: Multiplex says construction work will not finished until after September.

1 Aug 2006: Multiplex reveals completion of the stadium could be delayed until June 2007.

19 Oct 2006: Construction finally near to completion and test events planned for January 2007

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Think you will find, although not spun like this, that Martin is factoring in for delays that are inevitable in any building project, let alone a relatively complicated one as this. Clearly we also dont have all the housekeeping ducks in a row yet. Far better to factor in the delays now in order to manage expectation than make another undeliverable promise.

I cant see it being anything else as surely our finances would dictate that we need to move in as soon as we can, and couldnt possibly have the luxury of a virtually complete stadium lying idle for 6 months while the debt interest builds up.

I'm sure there are sound reasons behind it and no two projects are the same etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the Buckingham group, for instance, would have demanded more money to ensure an earlier opening, possibly more than the extra income the club would get from an earlier move. But to me a 12 month delay still seems like an age, whereas a 4 month delay seems like nothing and I just can't help feeling disappointed.

On the plus side construction is tantalisingly close to starting. When that gets underway I'll be a very happy man.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
19 August 2005: The Guardian reports that under the terms of its contract, Multiplex must pay a penalty of £120,000 for every day the project is delayed beyond its handover date, with a maximum payment of £14m.

Interesting point. Is it likely that we have agreed a similar penalty structure for the Buckingham Group?

Maybe that's why it was announced together. Maybe Buckingham Group would only agree a penalty clause, if based on a later opening date.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Interesting point. Is it likely that we have agreed a similar penalty structure for the Buckingham Group?

Maybe that's why it was announced together. Maybe Buckingham Group would only agree a penalty clause, if based on a later opening date.

Penalty clauses for lateness are common in the construction industry, just as bonus clauses are for early finishing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

But then whats the point of scrambling into the new stadium in January / February 2011 (at the earliest), midway through a league season that we have no way of knowing how it will be going, in the middle of winter, just so we can be at Falmer a few short months earlier.

Nope, give me an August 2011 start at Falmer ANY day. Blue skies, summer optimism for the new season, a new chapter for the club starting with a brand new season in a brand new stadium. I'll put up with Withdean for an extra few months, if I know thats what awaits us the following August.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
But then whats the point of scrambling into the new stadium in January / February 2011 (at the earliest), in the middle of winter,...............

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............tricky one that.

Middle of winter, under cover, with good sound accoustics and atmosphere at Falmer............................or.............sitting in freezing winds and pouring rain at zero atmoshpere Withdean..............?

Can I have some time to ponder the answer........?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here