Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer another delay!!!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
So dont worry, its a delay not a setback

People said that in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...... I'm only laughing at such a stupid statement because I'm passed crying in this sage. Ow, the irony.......

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Which other deadline on Falmer did they miss?

Yes, you're right. The government are really on the mark with our application. Why are we moaning.......:tosser:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I've just read the official club statement. I'd love to know what they really wanted to write......

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Feel as free to feel insulted as I do to feel cross enough to make such an intemperate statement!

I don't care whether people agree or disagree with what Lord B has to say on this or any other matter. He is quite capable of pontif...er, speaking for himself and taking the consequences.

I also don't like to give offence but I do find it depressing to see such an eager desire to Wallow In Grief despite their being scant evidence that there's any need to treat this announcement with such rabid outpourings of pessimism.

Roz, we may all be a little less pessimistic tomorrow but this afternoon I went round to see 2 STH's who have been supporting the Albion since they were lads. One is 75 the other 78. I broke the news re the delay but trying to be chipper I said "It's only a couple of weeks". Said one "2 weeks. I work on the basis that I live for one more day at my age. Chances of me seeing a stadium at Falmer get less and less" So a few weeks delay may not matter in the great scheme of things but every delay means some supporters will never see Falmer. If it was just bad luck that caused the delays, oK but they have been caused by the Nimbys and Government cock ups. No wonder some people are fed up.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My girlfriend is a solicitor involved in the process of planning big developments.

..she just raises her eyebrows when I complain about the time taken for our stadium.

It isn't unusual for sensitive developments.

110%

Unregistered User
Apr 19, 2006
GOSBTS
I think I’ll throw my two-penneth’ in…….

Whilst I can understand the various conspiracy theories the fact of the matter is that cock-ups happen and we are just a victim of (bad) timing. The Secretary of State is now required to give a date by which he/she expects to issue a decision - it was something that Prescott brought in to try and make ministers more accountable and also to try and bring a little bit more certainty to the timescales as up until that point there was never any indication of when a decision could be expected. Of course the re-shuffle has meant that on this occasion the ‘certainty’ of getting a decision by the 9 July hasn’t been met and at some point there will be a monitoring report explaining to Parliament what happened in this and probably a few other cases which failed to meet their delivery dates. (I think the 350 cases per day figure quoted earlier in this thread probably relates to all planning decisions covered by the Secretary of State’s department as opposed to those which actually need a decision by the Secretary of State herself. In other word the Secretary of State will actually see only a very small percentage of the 350 cases or whatever figure was quoted earlier.)

I suspect that Ruth Kelly wouldn’t have been briefed on the final recommendation; civil servants like most of us do the most urgent things first, so if a decision wasn’t needed until sometime in July, they wouldn’t have been in a hurry to get it to Ruth Kelly in June. That’s not to say that they weren’t working on it or even had finished working on it but there were probably other things they felt were more important that she dealt with - hard to believe I know.

As far as the actual decision goes, Hazel Blears will be briefed on the case - I guess it will be a relatively concise briefing but nevertheless time has to be set aside for her to do this and yes, she does have one or two other things to attend to in the next few days. Generally, when a case has been remitted back to the Secretary of State by the High Court there are fine tooth combs in evidence and I’d be very surprised if there are any schoolboy errors this time round. Therefore, as she is still new to the job and given the political/legal context, she is perhaps less likely to challenge the recommendation she receives from her advisors.

So, yeah, a bit of an administrative cock up perhaps but on the face of it no reason to panic.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Roz, we may all be a little less pessimistic tomorrow but this afternoon I went round to see 2 STH's who have been supporting the Albion since they were lads. One is 75 the other 78. I broke the news re the delay but trying to be chipper I said "It's only a couple of weeks". Said one "2 weeks. I work on the basis that I live for one more day at my age. Chances of me seeing a stadium at Falmer get less and less" So a few weeks delay may not matter in the great scheme of things but every delay means some supporters will never see Falmer. If it was just bad luck that caused the delays, oK but they have been caused by the Nimbys and Government cock ups. No wonder some people are fed up.

Ow, just tell them to shut up moaning will you. It's all going to be decided on the 25th of July (Argus doesn't say which 'year' you fools!). Because Hazel said so. And some super-fans. So it must be true.

I'm with you Oldman on this and I've made the point before. Some of our fans are literally DYING to see us play at Falmer......it's a f***ing disgrace. AGAIN.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mother has just phoned to tell me that it was on ITV news about the delay and Paul Belvestone (sp) asked is that ominous for Brighton as the 25th is the last day before the summer recess.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Mother has just phoned to tell me that it was on ITV news about the delay and Paul Belvestone (sp) asked is that ominous for Brighton as the 25th is the last day before the summer recess.

No - it's all going to be fine BG, Hazel's said the 25th so the 25th it'll be.:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
But if it's delayed by one extra day then it'll have to be announced after the summer recess?

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings

yep he said its traditionaly known as the day the give bad news and then sod of to somewhere sunny. it will be bad news for the lib dems I reckon

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Some of you are acting a but childish...Can you all imagine what the reaction would have been if Hazel Blears, the minister for Communities had been in her new job for a week and gave planning consent to such a large and contentious application? Can you imagine how many people in Lewes and Falmer would have asked for a Judicial Review on the basis that Blears clearly did not make the decision and on that basis, I may be wrong, but I am sure that the opponents would have used this as a further excuse to delay the process.

I agree that it is annoying that ANOTHER delay has occured, but at least they're not saying a delay along the lines of months or even, a No or another Public Enquiry!

But if it's delayed by one extra day then it'll have to be announced after the summer recess?
No.

The decision is not announced to parliament. It will be notified in a letter to DMH Planning, who are the agents for the Albion. That letter is copied to the other interested parties.

The summer recess is parliament's holiday. The government carries on working.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I've read the whole thread and I am just as disappointed as anyone with the further delay but I don't see any reason to be pessimistic about the outcome.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i'm beyond dissapointted, must have known there would be a delay, nothing has been simple from day one

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
NOTHING SURPRISES ME ANY MORE

I hate these incompetant wankers. I absolutely hate them for being utterly f***ing useless. I mean to replace that stupid cow with this idiot just about sums them up. She is the most unconvincing, incompetent excuse for a politician you could wish to imagine.

And when she finally climbs up on her cabinet office chair and colours in the "final" communique, do you imagine she will manage to not make any stupid f***ing mistakes like 2 jags ? No me neither.

Its going to go on and on and on and on

and I am going to get seriously f***ing angry

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I think the point that a lot of people are missing is the key difference between this delay, and the delays caused by further inquiries. Namely that a two week delay in the announcement will make no difference at all to the date that Albion (finally) play the first game at Falmer. Whatever season we would have built it for with permission today, we'll still build it for with a decision in 2 weeks.

Prescott causing massive delays by calling further inquiries continually put back the provisional date for BHAFC finally actually moving into a new stadium. This doesn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here