If it's an Eastenders lookie-likey we are going for, surely it has to be

actor_barryevans.jpg

How on earth does that look like Dave?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I understand your position. However I'm forever the optimist. I'm looking forward to buying all you pessimists a pint in a few weeks time when we get the positive announcement and saying "isn't this just grand"...and "worth keeping the faith for" and "what a ride"...

*I hope*

Look forward to that Tedebear but if I were you I'd wait until the finances are in place; the tendering process is over and the building is complete. Then we can celebrate.

However celebrations will be in order when you get your residency!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
cheers guys...good to see a serious debate is turning into a usual binfest.

Sorry David.

How could an uber-pedant such as myself turn down the open goal of somebody mis-spelling 'PEDANT'? I just couldn't help myself. I did it politely though, and you didn't really have to take it as 'having a go'!

For what it's worth, I don't think you look like Barry or Phil, and think that we will get the final, final YES from the lovely Hazel sooner than the 25th anyway.

Cheers

Simon

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Look forward to that Tedebear but if I were you I'd wait until the finances are in place; the tendering process is over and the building is complete. Then we can celebrate.

However celebrations will be in order when you get your residency!!

Well yes - but we must celebrate the small victories along the way!! I wonder which will come first my residency or Falmer? hmmmmm :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can we just discuss EXACTLY what the minister's precise role is here?

What if Blears, having been briefed, decides that she doesn't like what she's heard and disagrees with her advisers? Will we still get a decision on 25th July and, if it runs contrary to the advice she got, wouldn't that give the losing party in this grounds for appeal?

I would have thought that to truly understand the application she'll need a damn sight more than 16 extra days, what with everything else on her plate.

The fact is that she'll rubber-stamp the decision that, in all likelihood (as Paul Samrah) has said, has already been taken. The recently-leaked SDNP document surely cannot have been prepared without some reference to developments in the Falmer saga?

Whatever is said here I firmly believe that this 16-day extension is nothing but another cock-up by this government and it in no way helps our cause, despite what rose-tinted spin is put on it. That said, I still believe the decision will be a YES, though God knows when.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Like others have said, we have waited so long, whats another 16 days going to matter. Anyway, this delay seems to strengthen our position rather than LDCs.

:falmerspi

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd like to disagree with you Mr Pavilionaire if I may?

It's not a cock up at all, its a calculated excercise in PR. Everybody knows that this decision is going to be seen in all 'anti' quarters as political rather than founded on policies. If she had come in and said 'yes' without giving herself time to at least pretend to have read any of the facts, then she would have strengthened that argument.

In publically making a show of delaying it by, lets face it, sod all extra time, she has pre-empted one particular line of griping.

Good on her, I say.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
I'd like to disagree with you Mr Pavilionaire if I may?

It's not a cock up at all, its a calculated excercise in PR. Everybody knows that this decision is going to be seen in all 'anti' quarters as political rather than founded on policies. If she had come in and said 'yes' without giving herself time to at least pretend to have read any of the facts, then she would have strengthened that argument.

In publically making a show of delaying it by, lets face it, sod all extra time, she has pre-empted one particular line of griping.

Good on her, I say.

:goal:

Exactly!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can we just discuss EXACTLY what the minister's precise role is here?

What if Blears, having been briefed, decides that she doesn't like what she's heard and disagrees with her advisers? Will we still get a decision on 25th July and, if it runs contrary to the advice she got, wouldn't that give the losing party in this grounds for appeal?

I would have thought that to truly understand the application she'll need a damn sight more than 16 extra days, what with everything else on her plate.

The fact is that she'll rubber-stamp the decision that, in all likelihood (as Paul Samrah) has said, has already been taken. The recently-leaked SDNP document surely cannot have been prepared without some reference to developments in the Falmer saga?

Whatever is said here I firmly believe that this 16-day extension is nothing but another cock-up by this government and it in no way helps our cause, despite what rose-tinted spin is put on it. That said, I still believe the decision will be a YES, though God knows when.
The woman has been in here job for four full days, one of which was taken up with national security issues. She also has to physically move in to her new office, take briefings on the nature of the job from senior civil servants, some of whom she would not yet have met, brush up government policy regarding the communities and local government - don't forget it's her first Cabinet departmental job she has had. In that time, she is expected to make a ruling on a complext planning application which is almost certainly nowhere near the top of her priorities. Plain logic dictates that she should seek advice on it. And when she is ready to do so, she will. And she has promised to let us know what her decision on that is by July 25th.

I honestly can't see where the cock-up is.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
FFS, why are so many bursting a blood vessel over a 16 day delay, i would of been far more worried had it been a few months delay, the fact of the matter is there has been a cabinet reshuffle, a new minister is in charge of this department, and she surely cant be seen to come in and give a decision on something she knows nowt about, if she had given the 'YES' now that would of given the likes of LDC ammunission to appeal saying she couldn't of looked at it properly etc,etc...

All will be well by the 25th July, fear not. :drink:

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
At this stage, appearances are crucial. Had the ruling been promulgated on or before the 9th, by Hazel Blears, LDC would have claimed that the political nature of the decision had been exposed. The party most upset and frustrated by the sixteen-day delay is LDC.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The woman has been in here job for four full days, one of which was taken up with national security issues. She also has to physically move in to her new office, take briefings on the nature of the job from senior civil servants, some of whom she would not yet have met, brush up government policy regarding the communities and local government - don't forget it's her first Cabinet departmental job she has had. In that time, she is expected to make a ruling on a complext planning application which is almost certainly nowhere near the top of her priorities. Plain logic dictates that she should seek advice on it. And when she is ready to do so, she will. And she has promised to let us know what her decision on that is by July 25th.

I honestly can't see where the cock-up is.

Bollocks.This is just an incoming meddling upstart Minister with an ego to massage.She's using us (and in doing so giving us one final kick in the balls) to get herself some highly charged political action she can take credit for.If the decision hasn't been made already i'd love to know why because.... sorry going to have to break off....fingers melting with rage...:rant:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bollocks.This is just an incoming meddling upstart Minister with an ego to massage.She's using us (and in doing so giving us one final kick in the balls) to get herself some highly charged political action she can take credit for.If the decision hasn't been made already i'd love to know why because.... sorry going to have to break off....fingers melting with rage...:rant:

Bollocks back to you.

If you think that this is all about her ego, you're mistaken. As was pointed out on an earlier post, we are not so big that she is going to get massive brownie points from her bosses and masters for approving this application. She is going to approve it because one, she is going to be advised to by her civil sercvants because, two, (despite what the numpties at LDC say) it is in line with government policy on planning, education, health, transport, social inclusion and urban renewal.

The decision has PROBABLY been made by the civil servants who will ADVISE her to approve. However, it hasn't filtered its way through the system yet. When it has, we will be told.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Reading through the streams of pessimism that persist on this topic despite a couple of INFORMED people who have DIRECT experience of working in the Civil Service (I am not one of them) attempting to explain what actually happens when there's a new Prime Minister and a new Cabinet, I'm left wondering whether some people want the f***ing stadium in the first place or would simply prefer to grizzle for another ten f***ing years.

Er, hang on a sec? The same people who have set the 25th of July are the same people who set the 9th of July. Whitehall set themselves a seven month deadline originally and couldn't meet that. Now they've set themselves a 2 week deadline - who in their right mind would believe they'll meet that given their track record?!!!! Not to mention all the deadlines they've failed to deliver on before. So if you want to believe the new deadline Roz, then that's your affair. But don't have a go at the rest of us that are f***ing angry we've been lied to yet AGAIN.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Er, hang on a sec? The same people who have set the 25th of July are the same people who set the 9th of July. Whitehall set themselves a seven month deadline originally and couldn't meet that. Now they've set themselves a 2 week deadline - who in their right mind would believe they'll meet that given their track record?!!!! Not to mention all the deadlines they've failed to deliver on before. So if you want to believe the new deadline Roz, then that's your affair. But don't have a go at the rest of us that are f***ing angry we've been lied to yet AGAIN.
Which other deadline on Falmer did they miss?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Well, just because I don't have direct experience in the inner workings of the Civil Service, and have a different view to Lord B and others, doesn't mean that I don't respect their points of view, or understand how they come to their opinions.

And, quite frankly, to suggest that people who happen to disagree with Lord B somehow don't want the "f***ing stadium" is quite frankly insulting.:rant:

Feel as free to feel insulted as I do to feel cross enough to make such an intemperate statement!

I don't care whether people agree or disagree with what Lord B has to say on this or any other matter. He is quite capable of pontif...er, speaking for himself and taking the consequences.

I also don't like to give offence but I do find it depressing to see such an eager desire to Wallow In Grief despite their being scant evidence that there's any need to treat this announcement with such rabid outpourings of pessimism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here