Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
As a player it helps to know who the manager is, but unless there’s a massive pre-existing personality clash between coach and player, it’s more important that the player knows the style of football being played.

For example, one of the tactics videos for Hürzeler suggests he plays at times with no midfield, but that hasn’t led to Groß, Milner, Hinshelwood, Buanonotte, Moder, Gilmour and Baleba all handing in transfer requests.

An out and out old-school full-back might look at a team that plays attacking wing-backs and not see a place for themselves, but then would the club be looking to bring such a player in?

I’d argue that for us to bring a player in, we either see potential in them to play for us, or we see potential to develop them, loan them out and sell them on.

The player gets developed, the club make a profit, we still win even if they don’t develop in a way that fits our first team.
We seem to be building a playing identity however, how does a player know that will continue for sure?
I agree it’s likely we will try to play the same way as it’s been effective but no guarantees on the style as dependent on who’s available to manage

Meeting the manager and understanding from them how will you utilise and develop me, what’s the plan etc shouldn’t be underestimated.

The irony will be though that the agent will probably be pushing to sign asap just in case the offer is retracted when a new manager comes in

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We seem to be building a playing identity however, how does a player know that will continue for sure?
I agree it’s likely we will try to play the same way as it’s been effective but no guarantees on the style as dependent on who’s available to manage

Meeting the manager and understanding from them how will you utilise and develop me, what’s the plan etc shouldn’t be underestimated.

The irony will be though that the agent will probably be pushing to sign asap just in case the offer is retracted when a new manager comes in
I would be amazed if we change from how we play. If a manager is wanting to park the bus and launch it then he won’t be our manager. Our teams play the same sort of possession game throughout the age groups. It is who we now are.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Little ditty, nicked from Sham 69

Hurzeler boys, Hurzler boys
Stone Island jackets and corduroys
Hurzeler boys, Hurzeler boys
Brighton lads are the real Mccoy

or

Hurzeler boys, Hurzler boys
Dry robe coats and corduroys
Hurzeler boys, Hurzeler boys
Looking for the Palace to destroy

How about a version of Wunderbar by Tenpole Tudor?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He's gonna be the key
Dunky at the back Joao Pedro in attack
They will take us to the Champions League

Not bad. Howz about:

We've got a brand new Fah-bian Hurzeler
He's gonna be the key
Dunky at the back, Pedro in attack
We're gonna win the Premier League

Millerntor

Jun 9, 2024
Well, first of all i have been reading here in this quite "nice" forum since the beginning when FH rumours started and i want to give you a little inside report of the story.
Many of you try to find the right pronunciation for his name. My advise: keep it simple use Fab and "The Hurtz".
In general as a St. Pauli supporter it's sad to see him go and many of us can't believe that he blew an excellent chance to keep St. Pauli in Bundesliga 1.
Of course to work in PL is his designated goal but why not continue his job here with like 2 more years and then move on?
In my eyes this past season was the best one i have witnessed in 40 years of St. Pauli fandom.

Public heavyweights like Ulli Hoeness told everyone, that Bayer Leverkusen and FC St. Pauli play the best style in german football.
Be aware that 20th of may we celebrated going up with FH being in the center of the big party. See some Images.
So three weeks later he is gone!
In my eyes he is a fantastic and modern football nerd but also driven by a capitalistic player management company "Roof".
It took from September to March 2024 to settle the new contract and the main issue was he could get out of the new contract whenever he wanted to to so.
Thanks to our manager Bornemann this was not accepted.
Not very likely but possible:
Maybe in one year they choose to quit his contract and move on to Chelsea?

I am sure he can compete in PL successfully as a manager (in Germany this profession is called coach and our manager is Andreas Bornemann) but his style of playing needs automatisms and time to explain it in detail to the players. Will he have that in Brighton?
FH was announced a assistant to popular coach Timo Schultz July 2020 and led bigger parts of the daily training sessions, so when Schultz got sacked he was the perfect choice to continue what he initiated. He didn't change much but had a dream start with 10 victories in a row.
It is very obvious to see is that he is excellent in developing our individual players, plus he is a key factor for signing talented young players.
With him St. Pauli is very attractive for new players.
He is very professional and the press conferences are far away from being boring.

I could write much more but sure we (all) will follow the upcoming steps at Brighton. The upcoming season I will start to watch PL season again after a longer break.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well, first of all i have been reading here in this quite "nice" forum since the beginning when FH rumours started and i want to give you a little inside report of the story.
Many of you try to find the right pronunciation for his name. My advise: keep it simple use Fab and "The Hurtz".
In general as a St. Pauli supporter it's sad to see him go and many of us can't believe that he blew an excellent chance to keep St. Pauli in Bundesliga 1.
Of course to work in PL is his designated goal but why not continue his job here with like 2 more years and then move on?
In my eyes this past season was the best one i have witnessed in 40 years of St. Pauli fandom.

Public heavyweights like Ulli Hoeness told everyone, that Bayer Leverkusen and FC St. Pauli play the best style in german football.
Be aware that 20th of may we celebrated going up with FH being in the center of the big party. See some Images.
In my eyes he is a fantastic and modern football nerd but also driven by a capitalistic player management company "Roof".
It took from September to March 2024 to settle the new contract and the main issue was he could get out of the new contract whenever he wanted to to so.

I am sure he can compete in PL successfully as a manager (in Germany this profession is called coach and our manager is Andreas Bornemann) but his style of playing needs automatisms and time to explain it in detail to the players. Will he have that in Brighton?
FH was announced a assistant to popular coach Timo Schultz July 2020 and led bigger parts of the daily training sessions, so when Schultz got sacked he was the perfect choice to continue what he initiated. He didn't change much but had a dream start with 10 victories in a row.
It is very obvious to see is that he is excellent in developing our individual players, plus he is a key factor for signing talented young players.
He is very professional and the press conferences are far away from being boring.

I could write much more but sure we (all) will follow the upcoming steps at Brighton. The upcoming season I will start to watch PL season again after a longer break.
Thanks for the insight. We'll take all the inside info we can get

And I'll be keeping an eye, hoping St Pauli have a decent season and stay up next year.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We've got a brand new Fah-bian Hurzeler...
Now we're going to beat City.....
Palace got Oliver Glasner
but he's pretty shitty....
Oh we got a brand new Fah-bian Hurzeler and we will win the league I got a brand new combine harvester
Version 2: tweeked a bit.

We've got a brand new Fah-bian Hurlzeler
An' he'll lead us to victory
Come on now let's get together
and watch the Albion wizardry

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I would be amazed if we change from how we play. If a manager is wanting to park the bus and launch it then he won’t be our manager. Our teams play the same sort of possession game throughout the age groups. It is who we now are.
So would I, but I’d want some certainty if signing a long term contract

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Thanks for the insight…….would say Brighton is probably one of the very few clubs in the PL where he will get the time………we’ve seen it already and recently with Potter. Tony Bloom trusts his data and instincts and wouldn’t panic if Fab takes time to get his ideas working. The players will be up the curve to a fair degree already given the similarities to De Zerbi’s methods, and any new player coming in will have already been researched to death as having the right attributes

Jun 12, 2024
A usually well-informed tabloid from Hamburg writes that your owner was under impression our coach could be had for a bargain price. They only started to move towards an acceptable offer on wednesday evening.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Appreciate this but please remove the line about Chelsea - it causes a visceral, physical reaction on this site.

Hurzeler will get far more time at Brighton than at any other Premier League club and if he succeeds, and the timing is right for all parties, he'll be allowed to go on his way to the top. This is just a reality of competing at this level and I'd rather have thrilling exciting romances with managers like De Zerbi than conservative marriages of convenience whilst we're in the Premier League. I think this is probably why it's too good an opportunity to turn down. He knows that we have a record of letting managers settle, implement their style, and get backed by the board with minimal pressure. I am not sure he'd have jumped ship for a club like Leicester for example where he may get sacked within six months.

Ultimately, I am sad that the reality of modern football means that you will not have your wonderful coach to lead you into your next Bundesliga season, but hopefully it all works out for both us and FC St. Pauli. I'll be hoping you stay up!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Thank you and we understand your pain. We know the feeling that being on the cusp of something really great, only to then have it taken away (normally by Chelsea)

That is an understandable reaction "many of us can't believe that he blew an excellent chance to keep St. Pauli in Bundesliga 1"

Ideally there would have been a great but unattached coach/manager that we could of hired

You can be assured that if there is one club where he will be given time and has a patient owner and fans then it is Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here