Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup R3 - Pompey

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I know the facts......

I can only assume the stuff the club fed up prior to the FCUM was bollocks.....

Which is it then, facts, or assumption?

And while we're on the subject, FCUM- regardless of their origins- are a club with an average attendance of about 2,000, if that. So why the hell should they have been able to demand a larger allocation of tickets? Their gates are on a par with Macclesfield or Morecambe, and we wouldn't bother sending them extra. Just because it's a bigger game than they normally play, suddenly many more of the locals crawl out of the woodwork and become lifelong FCUM. I don't necessarily see why that should be accommodated.

Pompey may be a bunch of thieving crooks, but their gates are in the region of 14,000-15,000, which says to me they're entitled to their full allocation. As a club I can't stand them, but to me they have far more right to extra tickets than a non league club, no matter how sing-y FCUM's fans were.

Is probably exactly right.

Perhaps it is time for a separate forum for anti club posting, that way, the majority of us can get on with discussing football, Falmer, our favourite song etc, and those who simply want to post negative comments about the club can be in their own little world.

I'm not against speaking up, but, believe it or not, the club work very hard to ensure we get to watch our team. The law and rules of the FA/FL require them to adopt certain positions regarding safety and other operational matters which they have no alternative but to enforce. Let's also not forget, we are a 3rd division club, so resources, facilities, systems etc will reflect that. 10 years ago we had just about a pot to piss in, now the pot is a little bigger, next season we can expect most of the niggles from an operational point of view to gradually be resolved. Away tickets for a cup game though, well, that will be exactly the same as it is now, so what exactly is there to argue about, it is how it is, the club isn't going to be able to change that.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
And while we're on the subject, FCUM- regardless of their origins- are a club with an average attendance of about 2,000, if that. So why the hell should they have been able to demand a larger allocation of tickets?

Working on that rational should we get to the play off final say we should only get 3000 tickets for Wembley?

Dunno why I'm arguing to be honest, I'm not going to go to the game and the club arse lickers are never going to back down and admit the club were/are ever wrong. Ho hum!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Working on that rational should we get to the play off final say we should only get 3000 tickets for Wembley?

Wembley holds 90,000 though, Withdean just under 9,000, so it's not really the same thing.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Whoever is responsible (I'm inclined to think it was the authorities as much or more than the club) it's a ridiculous decision to give FC a small allocation and the away stand but have Portsmouth in the east stands.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I'm not against speaking up, but, believe it or not, the club work very hard to ensure we get to watch our team.

Really...?

Have you ever stood in the West stand to 'see' a game...? (and I use the word 'see' loosely)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whoever is responsible (I'm inclined to think it was the authorities as much or more than the club) it's a ridiculous decision to give FC a small allocation and the away stand but have Portsmouth in the east stands.

Makes perfect sense to me to give a club with crowds of 2,000 fewer tickets than a club with crowds of 14,000 :shrug: The only shame about them going at the eastern end of the ground means that that tattooed bumhat John Westwood will be slightly closer to the poor South Standers.

There's no perfect solution, Withdean was never designed for football. Jeez, some people need to get over this. If you don't want to sit at the western end, don't go. Simple.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So what 'Category' is this game going to be? Perhaps those of us that choose/end up sitting in the West Stand can make some sort of banner.

Make sure you use large lettering, or it'll be wasted on the rest of us :lolol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The only shame about them going at the eastern end of the ground means that that tattooed bumhat John Westwood will be slightly closer to the poor South Standers.

~Tell me about it, I sit 1 block awat from the Family/East Stand :down: . Surely though, with our gestapo stewards, they will confiscate such a dangerous item if he tries to enter the ground with it, after all, he could have someones eye out with that, or at worst cause someone to get tinitus?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Makes perfect sense to me to give a club with crowds of 2,000 fewer tickets than a club with crowds of 14,000 :shrug: The only shame about them going at the eastern end of the ground means that that tattooed bumhat John Westwood will be slightly closer to the poor South Standers.

There's no perfect solution, Withdean was never designed for football. Jeez, some people need to get over this. If you don't want to sit at the western end, don't go. Simple.
It's not nothing to do with sitting in the West stand, cos I won't be, I've never even been in the NORTH stand so why would I go there? :lol:

The reason FC got the away stand was supposed safety concerns, wherever they originated from. Their average attendance is totally irrelevant, the rule is 15% of capacity unless there are safety reasons not to, not unless they're small. If the club pretended to have safety concerns because they wanted to piss on a smaller club for some unkown reason then that is despicable (but they didn't) and I doubt many Brighton fans would be happy if we got through and got say Arsenal away and were treated in that manner.

No, safety reasons are the only legitmate reason. Seems to me that Portsmouth is far more likely to be trouble than FC United was. Obviously someone somewhere thinks differently.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Like I mentioned earlier Bob, perhaps the club have realised they got it wrong for FCUM, and have now changed their stance. Perhaps this should be seen as a positive move by the club, responding perhaps to the negative publicity they got over that one, and even comments made by Brighton and FCUM fans about this subject.

Previously though, the club have not offered away fans for a cup game any more than the away end, and there has never been any questions asked over it. Plenty thought Woking would bring more, but in the event they didn't. I think this should be consigned to history as a lesson learned.

You learn something every day if you pay attention.

I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

The learning and knowledge that we have, is, at the most, but little compared with that of which we are ignorant.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
According to my programme it was 2nd January 1993.

It most definitely was. I remember going to the game with my then girlfriend after we'd been together the grand total of four days and were still loved up. Our nascent relationship survived the North Stand at the Goldstone and the Pompey fans but she stopped coming to games with me after a dire defeat at Hartlepool later that year.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Like I mentioned earlier Bob, perhaps the club have realised they got it wrong for FCUM, and have now changed their stance. Perhaps this should be seen as a positive move by the club, responding perhaps to the negative publicity they got over that one, and even comments made by Brighton and FCUM fans about this subject.
Maybe, though as I said before I don't think it was just the club that limited the FC ticket allocation. In that case it seems to have been a mistake but that doesn't mean it always is, if you had to make a list of games that have a potential for problems I'd think Portsmouth would be quite high on that list, whereas no one has given a decent reason why FC was deemed to be a possible problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here