Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We had a good team at Italia 90 and a superb manager in the Hodgson mould; a professor of the game who had managed outside england. We had Gascoine and Lineker too. We don't have players to compare with them now.

If only Robbo could have kept his arm in his socket!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Two words 'McClaren' and 'Taylor'

What the hell does that even MEAN?

Are you seriously comparing the career to date of Roy Hodgson, with those of Graham Taylor and Steve McClaren at the times they were appointed? I think you need to brush up on your football knowledge a little, to be honest.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He grows in my estimation thanks to:

Hodgson is a fan of.... (from Roy Hodgson: It's top secret | Mail Online)

Last book you read?

I’ve got quite a voracious appetite. I enjoy the classics or good story-tellers. I’ve read nearly all of those who have won the Nobel Prize. I like Philip Roth, John Updike and Richard Yates. I had a period where I read a lot of Czech literature, the likes of Milan Kundera and Ivan Klima. I like German writers, too, such as Hermann Hesse. Not long ago I was given a book by Stefan Zweig, an Austrian, called Beware of Pity which is absolutely magnificent. I don’t think the writing I like to read comes under the ‘best-sellers’ tag too often!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What the hell does that even MEAN?

Are you seriously comparing the career to date of Roy Hodgson, with those of Graham Taylor and Steve McClaren at the times they were appointed? I think you need to brush up on your football knowledge a little, to be honest.

Actually McClaren had a decent enough CV, getting Middlesboro to the UEFA Cup final compares to Hodgson getting Fulham to the Europa League final and he had plenty of experience at Man United but he went wrong as he believed he had become some sort of celebrity employing Max Clifford instead of concentrating on being manager of England.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Actually McClaren had a decent enough CV, getting Middlesboro to the UEFA Cup final compares to Hodgson getting Fulham to the Europa League final and he had plenty of experience at Man United but he went wrong as he believed he had become some sort of celebrity employing Max Clifford instead of concentrating on being manager of England.

McClaren was a well qualified COACH, with hardly ANY management experience though. Hodgson has managed three National sides, including taking te Swiss to two major tournaments. My post was not a dig at McClaren, FWIW.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Just realised who Roy Hodgson reminds me of:

Roy+Hodgson+Announced+As+New+England+Manager

_42700405_statue270.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Don't speak for me thanks. I'm delighted with the appointment.

100% this !

I'm still baffled by all this media bollox that 'Arry was somehow 'the people's choice'. Nearly every single football person I've spoken to never wanted him.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Roy Hodgson is a fantastic appointment. Absolutely fantastic. He isn't costing the earth, he has the experience and he has the intelligence to manage our National team. Plus he has the personality to get the most out of our players.

I love Roy Hodgson. When Fulham appointed him, I thought they had given up. I ridiculed the man, and the appointment. It was opinion based entirely on his nightmare of an attempt at managing Blackburn. He came back to England re-built his reputation and as far as I am concerned, he's the best English manager in the game.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I am a bit gutted its not Arry, but I do like Roy. Just think the job is going to be way to big for him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I will be pleasantly surprised if, under the white hot heat of the media glare, Hodgson actually manages to deliver as England manager.

His Liverpool tenure as manager was painful to watch, and Anfield is nothing as compared with England.

I wish him all the best, but reckon it has a 90% chance of going tits up, rather than a 50-50% chance with Harry.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I will be pleasantly surprised if, under the white hot heat of the media glare, Hodgson actually manages to deliver as England manager.

His Liverpool tenure as manager was painful to watch, and Anfield is nothing as compared with England.

I wish him all the best, but reckon it has a 90% chance of going tits up, rather than a 50-50% chance with Harry.

Harry is an absolute dinosaur. He is not a coach, he is a manager. His man management is piss poor, and all he has won is the Intertoto Cup & an FA Cup.

I'd much rather have someone who has managed internationally, knows what is involved at a tournament and is a european-class coach, and someone you rarely hear about 'falling out with players' etc.... The press love Redknapp as they get a quote from him, that is all.

keithbeaky

Dec 26, 2011
100% this !

I'm still baffled by all this media bollox that 'Arry was somehow 'the people's choice'. Nearly every single football person I've spoken to never wanted him.

Who on earth do you speak to? Hodgson will fail, just like Super Mac. Write off the next 8 years now

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who on earth do you speak to? Hodgson will fail, just like Super Mac. Write off the next 8 years now

The only people that wanted Harry were 'casual' football fans I thought. Plastic football fans if you like. Most of the people I know, INCLUDING EnglandFans that follow the team all over the world, wanted Hodgson. Comparing Hodgson to Steve McClaren proves to me all I need to know about your insight into football.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Harry is an absolute dinosaur. He is not a coach, he is a manager. His man management is piss poor, and all he has won is the Intertoto Cup & an FA Cup.

I'd much rather have someone who has managed internationally, knows what is involved at a tournament and is a european-class coach, and someone you rarely hear about 'falling out with players' etc.... The press love Redknapp as they get a quote from him, that is all.

Say what you like but no Spurs manager since El Tel has got the side playing decent football with a smile on their faces and consistently in the top 5 of the table. I don't think it's any coincidence the moment the England job is settled the Spurs players settle and get their first away League win since Capello left, and 4 goals after a 4 match drought to boot.

Nobody is saying Redknapp is some sort of tactical Grand Master, but he can certainly motivate, inspire and command the respect of big name players.

Hodgson is a good manager too, and I'm glad he was up for consideration, I hope I'm wrong but I think it's doomed. I for one will be coming back to this thread after our second group match in Euro 2012 to see how the comments compare.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Say what you like but no Spurs manager since El Tel has got the side playing decent football with a smile on their faces and consistently in the top 5 of the table. I don't think it's any coincidence the moment the England job is settled the Spurs players settle and get their first away League win since Capello left, and 4 goals after a 4 match drought to boot.

Nobody is saying Redknapp is some sort of tactical Grand Master, but he can certainly motivate, inspire and command the respect of big name players.

Hodgson is a good manager too, and I'm glad he was up for consideration, I hope I'm wrong but I think it's doomed. I for one will be coming back to this thread after our second group match in Euro 2012 to see how the comments compare.

Martin Jol did in a harder league with a worse team.

Harry will only bother motivating players he likes, dont even think for a moment he will give youth a chance for England!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Thing is, if you are really going to judge Hodgson on how we perform NEXT MONTH, then you've already made up your mind, and no good he achieves long term will ever convince you he was the right man.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

But Spurs fans AREN'T especially happy with Redknapp, at least the ones I know aren't, and actually wanted him to become England manager so they could get someone else in. You say he can motivate players, but ask Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermaine Defoe...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here