Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Who on earth do you speak to? Hodgson will fail, just like Super Mac. Write off the next 8 years now

I would have done even with Harry or any other manager. Where not good enough to win simple as we don't have the players

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But Spurs fans AREN'T especially happy with Redknapp, at least the ones I know aren't, and actually wanted him to become England manager so they could get someone else in. You say he can motivate players, but ask Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermaine Defoe...

Dos Santos, Charlie, Gomes, Bentley, Bale (before he was forced to play him) Pienaar, Pav to give you a few more, Crouch was motivated as he played every week

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I will be pleasantly surprised if, under the white hot heat of the media glare, Hodgson actually manages to deliver as England manager.

His Liverpool tenure as manager was painful to watch, and Anfield is nothing as compared with England.

I wish him all the best, but reckon it has a 90% chance of going tits up, rather than a 50-50% chance with Harry.

That Liverpool job, at THAT point, was an impossible job for anyone. About 10% of blame can go to Hodgson, roughly 40-50% to the owners, and not forgetting the absolute mess that Benitez left behind him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But Spurs fans AREN'T especially happy with Redknapp, at least the ones I know aren't, and actually wanted him to become England manager so they could get someone else in. You say he can motivate players, but ask Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermaine Defoe...

Crouch and Defoe has followed Redknapp wherever he's managed, so the player must be motivated by the guy. This season Spurs have had 2 world class forwards in Adebayor and VDV - upgrades on Crouch and Defoe - hence their relegation down the order. As for Darren Bent I think - as does Harry - that he's overrated.

I hear Spurs fans aren't all happy with Redknapp but that's all kicked off following this Capello business. They weren't saying that after he brought in Scott Parker and turned the season around when they embarked on the long unbeaten run.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thing is, if you are really going to judge Hodgson on how we perform NEXT MONTH, then you've already made up your mind, and no good he achieves long term will ever convince you he was the right man.

Quite. Hodgson is a LONG TERM appointment. Anyone who judges him on this summer are THICK. Will be plenty of em.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I agree. I would actually get excited at the prospect of young players having a go with a view that we're shaping for Brazil. It's a shame Wilshire is injured and wont be available. A good, young 11:

Hart

Cole
Lescott
Cahill
Richards/Jones

Chamberlain
Wilshire
Milner
Young

Sturridge
Rooney

Lots of pace, a good strong and technical midfield, solid defence.

Wilshere is out unfortunately.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Wilshere is out unfortunately.

Sorry, as I said "It's a shame Wilshire is injured and wont be available." I maybe didn't phrase it right, this was more for a team capable in Brazil, and a good young team to go there with. The Euro's (minus Wiltshire) should be a precursor to that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This must be here somewhere, but I'll say it anyway.

Alan Davies hit the nail firmly on the head, on his podcast.

'Arry can't create a team, he buys one.
He has minimal interest in coaching.
No interest in development.
By his own admission he can only just read and write.
And no understanding of modern technology.

Hardly the CV of a national coach.

Also re The Sun:-
Roy isn't affectionately known as Woy, someone call him that to his face.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Quite. Hodgson is a LONG TERM appointment. Anyone who judges him on this summer are THICK. Will be plenty of em.

But isn't the summer tournament really what it's all about?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's a tournament so yes it's important, but you can't judge the new manager on how his team performs in what will be only a handful of games in charge. He is inheriting a mess, a shambles of a team really with too many ego's, too many overrated players causing friction whenever they're dropped. He has got a lot of work to do and it won't be done in 8 weeks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Course it's important, but ridiculous to JUDGE someone on their first performance. Like judging a player on their debut and deciding "not good enough" on that alone. That would be daft.

Much fairer to judge him on the WC in two years time, when he's had time to bed in, get his philosophies etc across to the players.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a tournament so yes it's important, but you can't judge the new manager on how his team performs in what will be only a handful of games in charge. He is inheriting a mess, a shambles of a team really with too many ego's, too many overrated players causing friction whenever they're dropped. He has got a lot of work to do and it won't be done in 8 weeks.

Just like he inherited an absolute mess at Liverpool.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Course it's important, but ridiculous to JUDGE someone on their first performance. Like judging a player on their debut and deciding "not good enough" on that alone. That would be daft.

Much fairer to judge him on the WC in two years time, when he's had time to bed in, get his philosophies etc across to the players.

Most people don't expect us to do well in Euro 2012, so the pressure's off Hodgson and the players. Hopefully this will turn out to be a good thing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Most people don't expect us to do well in Euro 2012, so the pressure's off Hodgson and the players. Hopefully this will turn out to be a good thing.

You're forgetting how stupid the media (and thus, people) are. The expectation WILL ramp up coming closer to the tournament. Betcha it does.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That isn't the point at all though. Of course we all know that realistically we were not likely to do well this summer. That will not for a second, stop those who want Hodgson to fail, from using it as a stick to beat him with.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What would each of you deem as success or failure this summer?

It's actually got to the point where I would be happy with anything above getting out of the group. That's my level of expectations.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What would each of you deem as success of failure this summer?

It's actually got to the point where I would be happy with anything above getting out of the group. That's my level of expectations.

I'd consider it a failure if we didn't get out of the group. From then onwards, it would depend who we came up against. Saying 'Semi final is okay, Q-final is not', is daft. I've no idea of the groups, but if for example we were to lose narrowly to Spain or Germany in the first knock out game, there would be no disgrace in that. Beating Greece in a Q-F, then losing to say Switzerland in a semi wouldn't mean we'd performed better.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
What would each of you deem as success of failure this summer?

It's got to the level of just being happy that the performances are encouraging and show positive progression from the rubbish in South Africa. I would be happier if England lost all 3 group games, but played good football using the younger players and were just beaten by better teams, than I would them playing the same shite from South Africa and scraping through before going out on penalties or something.

Much rather the younger players get experience and learn, than I would England getting a bit further but relying on mediocre performances from the likes of Terry, Lampard, Crouch etc

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's got to the level of just being happy that the performances are encouraging and show positive progression from the rubbish in South Africa. I would be happier if England lost all 3 group games, but played good football and were just beaten by better teams, than I would them playing the same old utter shite from South Africa and scraping through before going out on penalties or something.

Was a bizarre one, as we played some of the best football I've ever seen England play in the qualifiers leading up to WC2010.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd consider it a failure if we didn't get out of the group. From then onwards, it would depend who we came up against. Saying 'Semi final is okay, Q-final is not', is daft. I've no idea of the groups, but if for example we were to lose narrowly to Spain or Germany in the first knock out game, there would be no disgrace in that. Beating Greece in a Q-F, then losing to say Switzerland in a semi wouldn't mean we'd performed better.

We will almost certainly be facing either Spain or Italy in the Quarters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here