Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Poor old Roy. On one of the proudest days of his life and he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights with the media firing awkward questions at him about the John Terry/Ferdinand race issue, is Gerrard going to be captain, constant mentions of Harry Redknapp etc. Hardly anyone congratulated him on becoming England manager; talk about the gutter press! Unbelievable.

After watching that press conference on BBC in the last hour I honestly now believe that Fabio Capello knew more English language than he was letting on. He could ignore a difficult question and get away with it. I want Roy to succeed, I really do but don't think he's going to be given any time to settle in of a honeymoon period by the press and might be too honest at times for his own good. Best of luck, Roy. You're going to need it with that nest of vipers.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I'm quite pleased Hodgson has been appointed. It means we have absolutely no chance of winning
anything -so we can just watch without any pressure.

Thank gawd for the Albion.

So would we have if any manager was appointed.

Why? as our players are average we have 3 world class players at the most, to many players passing there sell by date, and we dont have enough young talent coming through at the moment, dont matter who we have in charge right now we wont win a tournament and that is that, we need someone that will look at youth and base towards the future. We need to focus on youth or we have no chance of ever being a top top side again.

One reason im pleased twitchy ant got it is due to Lampard, f*** me he would have been made captain and poster boy of the England team.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
It's amazes me that people can describe Hodgson as a poor appointment conidering he turned down Germany in the late 90s. They tend to be good judges of ability.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Funnily enough, I am a big England fan (Unusual for a LFC fan I'll grant you) and will probably be traveling to Poland for a few games in the summer.
Having somewhat divided loyalties you do occasionally come across some small town mentality on this site, as well as some over inflated egos of sites of LFC.
The fact is that Roy will find it impossible to motivate any England team sufficiently enough to achieve success in the Euros or any other European competition.
As a very proud Englishman, who pays top dollar to follow his country, with the likelihood of pitiful mediocrity saddens me.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Funnily enough, I am a big England fan (Unusual for a LFC fan I'll grant you) and will probably be traveling to Poland for a few games in the summer.
Having somewhat divided loyalties you do occasionally come across some small town mentality on this site, as well as some over inflated egos of sites of LFC.
The fact is that Roy will find it impossible to motivate any England team sufficiently enough to achieve success in the Euros or any other European competition.
As a very proud Englishman, who pays top dollar to follow his country, with the likelihood of pitiful mediocrity saddens me.

You pay so much money to follow your country you are travelling to the wrong place !

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Does it even matter?

At the end of the day whoever takes on this job has not got a hope in hell of satisfying the ridiculous expectations of the fans and media.

It's like managing Wigan with the expectation level of manchester united

Roy, Harry even Pep would not make a difference.

You can't polish a turd

But you can cover it in glitter.......

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Poor old Roy. On one of the proudest days of his life and he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights with the media firing awkward questions at him about the John Terry/Ferdinand race issue, is Gerrard going to be captain, constant mentions of Harry Redknapp etc. Hardly anyone congratulated him on becoming England manager; talk about the gutter press! Unbelievable.

After watching that press conference on BBC in the last hour I honestly now believe that Fabio Capello knew more English language than he was letting on. He could ignore a difficult question and get away with it. I want Roy to succeed, I really do but don't think he's going to be given any time to settle in of a honeymoon period by the press and might be too honest at times for his own good. Best of luck, Roy. You're going to need it with that nest of vipers.

Agree with this.
Lamb to the Slaughter.
What pisses me off is the fact that that four old farts at the FA think they know better than the rest of the UK.
They could have at least interviewed a few other candidates.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Regular at Anfield then?

Unfortunately not as regular as I would like, only about 15 games a season. However after last night's game............... anyway, things can only get better!

As poster who quoted me going to the wrong place for the Euros, you are of course correct, I just couldn't be bothered to write in all the details....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Agree with this.
Lamb to the Slaughter.
What pisses me off is the fact that that four old farts at the FA think they know better than the rest of the UK.
They could have at least interviewed a few other candidates.

Work so well last time they did that, keegan....

Redknapp would have been terrible I can assure you, he would have played lampard till he was 40

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The job that Hodgson did with Fulham and subsequently with West Brom puts him way above the managers who throw tens of millions or even hundreds of millions at it. Even Dalglish, when he won with Blackburn, said it was much easier to win the title when you can buy all the players you want. Of course, you still have to buy the right players and get them playing together but its much harder to improve the players you're stuck with and make them better as a team.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I've not made that as a comparison of ambition, that is a comparison of achievement. England are an average international team that don't qualify for a major tournament every decade, rarely get past the 1/4 finals if they ever get that far.

Where are these 'bloody-talented footballers'? They are the most overrated bunch in football. Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Rooney, Terry, Ferdinand etc. we talk them up like they're world beaters, but they're not. Technically they are inferior to many other international footballers. How many Champions League or European club medals have they won between them? When it comes to playing against Europe's technical elite, how good have these 'bloody-talented' footballers been even at club level? I'll tell you how many - 3.

It's all hype. We've hyped them up beyond any reasonable level where we actually believe Ashley Cole is the best left back in the world, Terry is one of the best centre halves, Rooney is the one of the best centre forwards. It's all hype. The reality is Lampard and Gerrard are not great international players. They might have the odd good game, but they've rarely dominated games. Rooney isn't prolific, and Terry and Ferdinand are any decent forwards dream. They're good players, but not world class, Rooney perhaps could be.

The England job is almost unworkable because of this expectation. Because we think that we have the best players. It's absolute bollocks it really is.

I'd like Hodgson to take over because I feel he would get the best out of them. They need bringing down to earth, to play as a team again. The only time I ever really saw England play as a team was Euro '96. It just clicked. After the Switzerland game, they got better and better. Hoddle nearly got them to a similar place in '98, however since then, we really have been shit and gone to every tournament thinking we can win it. Got to go there with ambition and belief, but it has to be based on something more than 'we're a bloody talented group of footballers'...

We had a good team at Italia 90 and a superb manager in the Hodgson mould; a professor of the game who had managed outside england. We had Gascoine and Lineker too. We don't have players to compare with them now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here