Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

f***ing hell americans are dumb

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
i've met a few and when i've told them where i'm from the usual response is "is that near london?"

and yes, many american girls do like the english accent.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Imagine that. 270 million people ALL intellectually inferior to a resident of Burgess Hill!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Not sure how stupid they are as a nation, but they are one of the most ignorant nationalities on the planet.

Their knowledge of anything outside of the US is quite deplorable considering the power/size of their media presence around the world.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Not sure how stupid they are as a nation, but they are one of the most ignorant nationalities on the planet.

Their knowledge of anything outside of the US is quite deplorable considering the power/size of their media presence around the world.

Spot on.
I am in my 18th year here now and still get asked, sorry, told, we all drink warm beer, and it's always foggy in London.Quite often i'll get, my family originate from England. When I ask them where, I nearly always get, no idea. Then why bother me with it?
The wind up can be a lot of fun when expats are around to share it. I once convinced a bloke [Who had always wanted to go to England for the history blah blah blah] that Stonehenge was made of foam rubber and they put it in storage inthe winter.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Spot on.
I am in my 18th year here now and still get asked, sorry, told, we all drink warm beer, and it's always foggy in London.Quite often i'll get, my family originate from England. When I ask them where, I nearly always get, no idea. Then why bother me with it?
The wind up can be a lot of fun when expats are around to share it. I once convinced a bloke [Who had always wanted to go to England for the history blah blah blah] that Stonehenge was made of foam rubber and they put it in storage inthe winter.

What they do know of other peoples does seem to be very much just taking whatever streotype of that people/nation exists and that is then their truth.

I have some friends who live in Ireland who have had American tourists come into their local pub asking where the best place to locate leprechauns in the area is. :laugh:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Even if true, still infinitely preferable to hereditary monarchy, bad dentition, a god-awful climate, swingeingly high taxes and expensive beer -- and an incurable tendency to sweeping generalizations.

Hmmm...strange choice of examples. I take your point about generalisations but you could have picked better ones. For example, we have one of the lowest tax burdens in Europe and one of the best climates in the world - with real seasons and no great extremes of temperature nor extreme winds.

Americans always make jokes about dentistry yet our teeth are no better or worse than other nations - including Americans. I can see why people think it though - people in the public arena over here will quite often have poor teeth, something that would be inconceivable in the US. But dental work in the poorer parts of the US is not especially better than dental work among our poor.

The most bizarre of your claims is that of expensive beer... one of the biggest debates over here is the availability of cheap booze, there have been many calls by doctors, politicians, police officers in the past year to introduce higher taxes on alcohol to curb abuse.

I agree with the general premise though. It's bizarre to make sweep generalisations about a nation - particularly one as diverse as the US. This, after all, is a country that has won as many Nobel prizes as the rest of Europe combined.... is that really a sign of a dumb nation?

And it wouldn't be difficult to find equally dumb things said by the British. I'm sure that if you stopped 100 Americans and 100 Brits at random and asked them questions about the rest of the world, the results would be equally poor. We are after all a nation that elevated a reality TV show contestant to stardom despite of (because of?) her complete ignorance of the state of the world around her.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Every country has it's share of dummies or missinformed people, but in general Americans love to talk, the problem starts when it is a subject they know little or nothing about.
I often have this conversation. Example. If I get on a plane in Charlotte NC. Fly for three hours I will get off and nothing has changed. The same Holiday Inn Express, the same Burger King, the same $ store.
If I get on a plane in Gatwick and fly three hours, I will experiance nine different languages, nine different cultures, nine different cusines, nine different customs.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
and one of the best climates in the world

You were doing OK there except for the above. :lolol:

One of the best climates in the world?:lol:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

To be fair to the yanks if you have everything you need in one country ie the landscape which has everything from majestic mountain ranges,stunning deserts, swamp lands,farmlands, the whole shebang to be honest why would you want to leave the country. The only thing they are truly lacking is a sense of history. As i was told by one of the wifes familey last time i was there. The main differance between the Americans and us is they think 200 years ago was a long time ago and we think 200 miles is a long way :lol:

I like the yanks (did marry one of them so better watch what i say) there are just as many mad feckers out there and in proportion i think we probably have more nutters over here. As for the ignorance of the average yank on the rest of the world. You only have to watch the news, Its generally local news and major American news with the odd thing on the rest of the world. Therefore due to the size of the country and amount of news that covers you cant blame yanks for there general lack of knowledge.

IMHO :smokin:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I've met many more clever interesting Americans than dumb ones. Yes some can be thick, but are their idiots really any thicker than our ones?

I did a job once for the American Army in Germany; using the criteria of their squaddies against ours, YES overwhelmingly.

But then you have to be intelligent to join our Army, not someone who justs wanted to go to Germany to neck proper beer, which some of them admitted to. If they tried German beer after a diet of Bud or Coors, no wonder though...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Every country has it's share of dummies or missinformed people, but in general Americans love to talk, the problem starts when it is a subject they know little or nothing about.
I often have this conversation. Example. If I get on a plane in Charlotte NC. Fly for three hours I will get off and nothing has changed. The same Holiday Inn Express, the same Burger King, the same $ store.
If I get on a plane in Gatwick and fly three hours, I will experiance nine different languages, nine different cultures, nine different cusines, nine different customs.

Like your handle, Lord C... if you tried claiming to be a REAL lord, you'd be knee deep in pontang!

Seriously it is the elimination of national character which so alienates me from the USA, this idea of a "World Culture". The GI's in Germany lived on bases which for a lot of them were enclaves of US life, they didn't want to mix with the locals or sample their life.

Hence loads of Germans HATED them, and wanted them out. I haven't been back to Germany (or at least the part I worked in) since 1986, and wonder what happened to all the US "villages". Many of them must have been reclaimed by the German authorities by now.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I went on a roadtrip around California and Nevada with my housemates when I finished uni.
I found americans pretty friendly - especially the girls who loved our accents and the way we dressed...there are plenty of dumb brits around, it seems a bit harsh to dismiss an entire nation.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Exactly Brighton is pretty near London to a nation that's that much bigger than us.
I'd say an hour by car or train is near.

Tenngull

Sep 15, 2003
Tennessee
What they do know of other peoples does seem to be very much just taking whatever streotype of that people/nation exists and that is then their truth.

Rather like a lot of people are doing to them in this thread then really!

Oh, and by the way, they are not all 'yanks'. Refer to anyone south of the Mason-Dixon line as a yank and you are likely to be severely berated - it's rather like them using 'English' to include Scots and Welsh.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You were doing OK there except for the above. :lolol:

One of the best climates in the world?:lol:

I struggle to think of many places that have better climates. France perhaps but can't think of many other places.

It never gets too hot, never gets too cold. We have no real hurricanes or tornadoes and very few droughts or floods (although we've had a couple of these in the last few years, historically we haven't). The land is generally fertile and most importantly, we have proper seasons: so it's cold in winter and hot in the summer.

The weather is always top of the list when it comes to naming things good about Britain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here