Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Looking at the bigger picture a lot of Country`s in the world cannot afford Vaccinations ,only 25 people vaccinated in Africa i saw in an article the other day .189 countries have signed up to the Covax initiative which is supported by WHO so they will have more power to negotiate with drug companies .The Vaccines will paid for by a fund sponsored by donors. The UK donated half a billion dollars to this fund . The US and Russia are among the few countries that are not contributing. But for now ,the scheme will only cover 20% of a country`s population. Lets hope the UK and the EU will try and help the rest of the world, could be a while yet .Canada has secured enough Vaccines to vaccinate its entire population five times !

there's been more vaccinated in trails. its something we'll have to look at in the coming months, how to distribute vaccine across the world. benefits of Oxford/Astrazeneca is it produced at cost and easier to distribute without the cold storage problems some others have. so hopefully there will be lots shipped in the months ahead.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
An interesting quote from Pfizer in an article on the BBC website. They are also saying the EU got it wrong but I am not sure what they mean by:’the EU wrongly assumed several different vaccines would be ready at once and therefore spread its orders.’ It does suggest they should be listening more.

The EU approved the purchase of 300 million doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine in December. But the company was not able to supply the 12.5 million vaccines it promised the EU by the end of 2020, due to supply chain issues.
The head of BioNTech, Uğur Şahin, told the German magazine Der Spiegel, that the delay was caused because the EU wrongly assumed that several different vaccines would be ready at once and therefore spread its orders. He also said his company was ramping up its manufacturing capacity.
Other countries that have so far been more successful in vaccinating their populations approved the Moderna or Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine as well.
The EU has now approved the Moderna jab and is doubling its order of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine to 600m doses.
But vaccinations in parts of Europe have had to be paused after Pfizer temporarily cut deliveries to increase capacity at its processing plant in Belgium. Spanish officials said the Madrid region was halting almost all vaccinations for two weeks and supplies in Catalonia were also threatened.
French pharmaceutical company Sanofi has announced it will help manufacture 125 million doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for the EU, starting this summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52380823

Edit; does it mean they spread their orders amongst manufacturers rather than backing investment at particular companies ? If so, the alternative approach was that followed by the UK which invested in solving bottleneck/scaling up issues at, for example the Wrexham AstraZeneca site.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Raided, by what agency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9b69f1d0d2444c36e8b8c28c61b4d9ea.jpg

Don’t tell em your name Pike..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Looking at the bigger picture a lot of Country`s in the world cannot afford Vaccinations ,only 25 people vaccinated in Africa i saw in an article the other day .189 countries have signed up to the Covax initiative which is supported by WHO so they will have more power to negotiate with drug companies .The Vaccines will paid for by a fund sponsored by donors. The UK donated half a billion dollars to this fund . The US and Russia are among the few countries that are not contributing. But for now ,the scheme will only cover 20% of a country`s population. Lets hope the UK and the EU will try and help the rest of the world, could be a while yet .Canada has secured enough Vaccines to vaccinate its entire population five times !

Let’s hope our Government have signed up to this excellent initiative. Nobody is safe until everyone is safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Raided, by what agency?

I’m assuming you can’t get the link. By Heath ministers as a requested from The European Commission.

Something a long the lines to prove they’re not lying in regards to vaccination volumes they can
produce.

Belgian regulators have launched an investigation into AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine production site near Brussels on the request of the European commission, in an escalation of the row over shortages within the EU.
A first visit by officials from the Belgian federal medicines agency was completed on Wednesday at the site in Seneffe, Hainaut, the health ministry in Belgium said. Samples and records were taken from the plant and a further inspection of the facility is expected in the coming days.
The investigation was requested by the EU’s executive branch due to doubts over AstraZeneca’s explanation of an expected shortfall in vaccine deliveries to the EU.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Edit; does it mean they spread their orders amongst manufacturers rather than backing investment at particular companies ? If so, the alternative approach was that followed by the UK which invested in solving bottleneck/scaling up issues at, for example the Wrexham AstraZeneca site.

they spread across companies not knowing which would be good or could be delivered. UK did the same and both will have a considerable excess ordered if they all come through. we didnt do anything specific for AZ, we just got the orders in early which allowed production ramp up, while trials and approvals were in progress.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You really ought to try calming down

I'm perfectly calm thank you - just amazed that the usual Europhiles can't see that EU residents ae going to die because of the EU's slowness / arrogance / stupidity / red tape ( delete as you feel free ). My vulnerable parents get their jab this weekend - something that wouldn't be happening if they lived in the EU. But feel free to continue to defend your holy European Project. Good luck in getting your jab.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I’m assuming you can’t get the link. By Heath ministers as a requested from The European Commission.

Something a long the lines to prove they’re not lying in regards to vaccination volumes they can
produce.

Belgian regulators have launched an investigation into AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine production site near Brussels on the request of the European commission, in an escalation of the row over shortages within the EU.
A first visit by officials from the Belgian federal medicines agency was completed on Wednesday at the site in Seneffe, Hainaut, the health ministry in Belgium said. Samples and records were taken from the plant and a further inspection of the facility is expected in the coming days.
The investigation was requested by the EU’s executive branch due to doubts over AstraZeneca’s explanation of an expected shortfall in vaccine deliveries to the EU.

Why would AZ lie about their capacity to produce the vaccine - I really can't see how they would benefit in doing so ? Sounds like another straw grab by the EU to me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blimey. Germany now confirmed they will not approve the AZ vaccine for over 65s.

The timing can’t just be coincidence, can it?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm perfectly calm thank you - just amazed that the usual Europhiles can't see that EU residents ae going to die because of the EU's slowness / arrogance / stupidity / red tape ( delete as you feel free ). My vulnerable parents get their jab this weekend - something that wouldn't be happening if they lived in the EU. But feel free to continue to defend your holy European Project. Good luck in getting your jab.

I think you'll find there's a fair few pro-EU posters on this thread who have been critical of the EU on this (and rightly so) - but we should also remember (when we're talking about deaths) that the UK has spectacularly "out-performed" the EU (50% more deaths, population adjusted - and over twice as many deaths as a comparable country like Germany). At almost every point in this crisis the UK government has dithered, delayed and basically cocked things up. Thankfully, when it comes to vaccines they made some good calls (albeit we also ordered loads of the Sanofi vaccine, which has failed to materialise).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Almost as amazing as the usual Johnson supporters not being able to see why we already have the highest death rates due to his Government's slowness / arrogance / stupidity / red tape (delete as you feel free). Forgetting completely about the blatant cronyism in contracts awarded in the last year. But feel free to defend the record of those you voted for. Good luck in getting your French citizenship.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

I am as you say a Europhile, but have never claimed it as something perfect, without flaws, or - in your words, not mine - holy. I am not here to "defend the project". This situation is deeply frustrating and the EU is not covering itself in glory, as many other remainers on here have already said. That does not change my ultimate beliefs, however. I look at the situation right now in the UK, and I know where I would rather be.

Nevertheless, none of that has anything to do with my original observation. Which was that your refusal ever to let anything lie is deeply tedious, and this conversation is only reinforcing that.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
AstraZeneca vaccine site in Belgium raided 'at request of European Commission'

The Belgian Health Minister said that the raid was carried out on behalf of the commission. It was aimed at proving whether or not AstraZeneca’s explanation for the failure in supply was genuine.

A European Commission spokesman confirmed the inspection. “We do not comment on the scope, on why it's been undertaken and what has been audited,” the spokesman said, before refusing to answer if Brussels had ordered the raid.

Officials from Belgium’s medicines regulator are expected to have drawn up a report on their findings in the next few days.

A spokesman said: "Belgian experts are now examining the elements that were collected, together with experts from the Netherlands, Italy and Spain."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...e-belgium-raided-request-european-commission/

A tad heavy-handed ...

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure why they have raided a factory - the bit they are interested in, the contracts, would be in the companies HQ - in UK.

This all smacks of a deflection from the EUs failings in this. They would be better off working with the company and UK Govt to see how best to remedy the situation.

No gloatings from me - if AZ hadnt come in, we would be dependent on Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson etc all of which are made elsewhere.

Contracts are contracts, but there must be a way around this - nationalism of vaccines will help no one.

AstraZeneca vaccine site in Belgium raided 'at request of European Commission'

The Belgian Health Minister said that the raid was carried out on behalf of the commission. It was aimed at proving whether or not AstraZeneca’s explanation for the failure in supply was genuine.

A European Commission spokesman confirmed the inspection. “We do not comment on the scope, on why it's been undertaken and what has been audited,” the spokesman said, before refusing to answer if Brussels had ordered the raid.

Officials from Belgium’s medicines regulator are expected to have drawn up a report on their findings in the next few days.

A spokesman said: "Belgian experts are now examining the elements that were collected, together with experts from the Netherlands, Italy and Spain."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...e-belgium-raided-request-european-commission/

A tad heavy-handed ...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll call that out seeing as I made the original comment.

They are politicians in all but name. The whole system is arse about face and will end in tears, as it is at the moment

Hmmmm....well, if you like. Everyone is a politician, then; Bob Geldof, Marcus Rashford, Mouldy Boots.....

"Politicians are people who are politically active, especially in party politics. "

"Commissioners swear an oath at the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg City, pledging to respect the treaties and to be completely independent in carrying out their duties during their mandate"

So, a commisioner is not a politician, then, not in name, nor in all but name.

I remember being stopped by a policeman once for jumping an amber light. He said to me 'what does an amber light mean?'. I said 'prepare to stop'. He said 'No, it means stop, the same as a red light. So you went through a red light'. I was able, with patience, to argue my way out of that one. No doubt you would have just paid the fine and taken your points. Definitions should be used to obtain clarity, not conflate, especially to synthesise objects of derision or make mischief.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Just to add - I wonder what the contractual arrangement is between Pfzier and the EU. I wonder if the EU has asked the US to supply more from its American plants - particularly as it is part German firm.

I think we know the answer

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

produce.

[emoji106] I couldn’t get the link, it’s akin to Palpatines Imperial Storm Troopers raiding Cloud City, you can see The evil emperor’ poodle Darth Macron at the end of the raid saying, “You will comply, I wouldn’t want leave a garrison of troopers here”

76be210b3c73c93c9f8c1d0c3821c436.jpg

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I think you'll find there's a fair few pro-EU posters on this thread who have been critical of the EU on this (and rightly so) - but we should also remember (when we're talking about deaths) that the UK has spectacularly "out-performed" the EU (50% more deaths, population adjusted - and over twice as many deaths as a comparable country like Germany). At almost every point in this crisis the UK government has dithered, delayed and basically cocked things up. Thankfully, when it comes to vaccines they made some good calls (albeit we also ordered loads of the Sanofi vaccine, which has failed to materialise).

Sadly not true. El Pais yesterday reported that the true number of deaths (COVID related) in Spain is closer to 80,000, this in a population of about 46 million. It's just that the Spanish government failed to count the related deaths early on in the crisis.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not sure why they have raided a factory - the bit they are interested in, the contracts, would be in the companies HQ - in UK.

This all smacks of a deflection from the EUs failings in this. They would be better off working with the company and UK Govt to see how best to remedy the situation.

No gloatings from me - if AZ hadnt come in, we would be dependent on Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson etc all of which are made elsewhere.

Contracts are contracts, but there must be a way around this - nationalism of vaccines will help no one.

Certainly looks that way.

Sources at the firm also pointed out that Italy, Germany, France and the Netherlands had reached a preliminary agreement in June, only for the EU Commission to insist on formalising the deal – which took another two months.

"The UK contract was signed three months before the European vaccine deal. So with the UK we have had an extra three months to fix all the glitches we experienced. As for Europe, we are three months behind in fixing those glitches.

Look, the sites that have the lowest productivity in the network are the sites that are supplying Europe. One of the plants with the highest yield is in the UK because it started earlier."

Sources close to AstraZeneca said dedicated supply chains had been set up for each international agreement to prevent countries squabbling over the same doses.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...te-nearly-everyone-aged-50-march-astrazeneca/

Attempting to divert blame onto a company that has developed a life-saving vaccine, in record time, selling at cost price to developing countries and is doing it's best to provide it as quickly as possible seems particularly contemptible. I doubt raiding offices in their factories will help speed up the process either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here