Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Your constant defence of the EU regardless of the mounting evidence this is / was their error and just a deflection on their behalf is not unsurprising from you.

Your constant vindictiveness towards anyone or anything that you dislike is incredibly tiresome, but is not unsurprising from you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Your constant vindictiveness towards anyone or anything that you dislike is incredibly tiresome, but is not unsurprising from you.

Your location somewhat gives away your agenda. Assuming you are where you say you are, good luck getting a jab because your leaders have right royaly fvcked you over.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My understanding is that the UK is not and never has been beholden to the EU over drug approvals and use. Drugs are approved in the UK by the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency). To save money, most licence applications were done on a Europe-wide basis through the European agency (EMA) but this is and never was a legal requirement, with the MHRA having full ability to consider applications for licences for use in the UK by itself.

So this spat has nothing to do with Brexit, and 'The EU' is making a bit of a prat of itself in this instance. Just like they have over many other issues in the past. Not enough for me to want to leave the EU, though. The argument that the EU stops the UK from doing this and that is, and always was, total bollocks. The UK follows the EU over non-core issues out of choice, not compulsion. For example we always had control over migration from outside the EU, but chose to let hoards of people in.

Fake news again :shrug:

I’m not sure I agree that this is fake news. There is a Robert Peston quote elsewhere in the thread that covers the timeline. It seems clear that Germany, France etc wanted to place vaccine orders themselves but were over ruled by the EU. It is difficult to believe we could have gone it alone if Germany could not. Were we still members it is likely that we would have the vaccines approved (as per your post) but not have available supplies as we would be subject to EU quotas (on population) and production delays caused by the same issues the EU now face. I am not trying to present some sort of hindsight reason for Brexit. All the arguments for and against have been aired elsewhere. The current story won’t tip that balance either way but nevertheless Brexit has played its part in the vaccine story in both the UK and the EU.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
And so who to believe....

The pharmaceutical giant (making and supplying the vaccine at cost) or the EU, who have clearly F**ked up and can see the natives revolting.

And as I said before, I'd rather we were still in the EU.

Similar feelings - I'm 100% a Remainer, but from everything I've read the EU seem to have f*cked up hugely here - the EU Health Commissioner seems a particularly bitter individual, who is no doubt flailing around trying to blame everyone but herself.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Reading that the EU has invested heavily in the Oxford vaccine.

If that is the case then I'm beginning to see their side of the story.

Can someone please shed any light on that ?

they pre-ordered supply. that is not the same as "investing" under normal sense, vaccine was already developed and in phase III trials by time they put in the orders. some of any upfront payments (unknown) would have gone to establishing the production process, so can be called investment if you squint at it.

This fact check says 'Europe invested billions to help develop the world's first COVID-19 vaccines and create a global demand."

https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-is-astrazeneca-in-breach-of-its-eu-contract/a-56360480

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Similar feelings - I'm 100% a Remainer, but from everything I've read the EU seem to have f*cked up hugely here - the EU Health Commissioner seems a particularly bitter individual, who is no doubt flailing around trying to blame everyone but herself.

Another Remainer in complete agreement here - The EU have ****ed this one up massively. Their issues have absolutely nothing to do with us and it's poor form trying to drag us into it.

This Tory Gov have made massive **** up after massive **** up over the past year, but on vaccines they have played an absolute blinder. No question.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Looking at the bigger picture a lot of Country`s in the world cannot afford Vaccinations ,only 25 people vaccinated in Africa i saw in an article the other day .189 countries have signed up to the Covax initiative which is supported by WHO so they will have more power to negotiate with drug companies .The Vaccines will paid for by a fund sponsored by donors. The UK donated half a billion dollars to this fund . The US and Russia are among the few countries that are not contributing. But for now ,the scheme will only cover 20% of a country`s population. Lets hope the UK and the EU will try and help the rest of the world, could be a while yet .Canada has secured enough Vaccines to vaccinate its entire population five times !

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Your location somewhat gives away your agenda. Assuming you are where you say you are, good luck getting a jab because your leaders have right royaly fvcked you over.

You really ought to try calming down

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Looking at the bigger picture a lot of Country`s in the world cannot afford Vaccinations ,only 25 people vaccinated in Africa i saw in an article the other day .189 countries have signed up to the Covax initiative which is supported by WHO so they will have more power to negotiate with drug companies .The Vaccines will paid for by a fund sponsored by donors. The UK donated half a billion dollars to this fund . The US and Russia are among the few countries that are not contributing. But for now ,the scheme will only cover 20% of a country`s population. Lets hope the UK and the EU will try and help the rest of the world, could be a while yet .Canada has secured enough Vaccines to vaccinate its entire population five times !

I'm convinced that in the end once there's a surplus everyone (in the 1st world) will chip in to get developing nations vaccinated. It's absolutely not in our interests to let this fester and mutate into strains which are less treatable.

At the moment the vaccines are hot off the press, they literally can't make it fast enough.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Going very slow over here. You'd imagine that in a dirty, corrupt world AstraZeneca being half Swedish would have given some kind of dirty corrupt advantage but nopes...

Anyway, EU is junk. The main reason a lot of people are pro-EU is not because its great, but because the loudest anti-EU voices are more often than not idiots. If people cared less about who says what and more about the subject itself, feck knows if anyone else than the neoliberals really would like to be part of it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I hope so too, when I was on firefighting duty’s in the Navy you put your BA on first then give others the assist they need[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here