Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England vs Spain *** Official Match Thread ***

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Spain performance neatly summarises our (Brighton's) current problems. Keep the ball as much as you want but you HAVE to have penetration and end product.

ps
Apart from giving the ball away towards the end Scott Parker again proves himself the finest English player around atm, should be installed as England captain immediately in prep for the Euro's.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Parker should be the first name on the team sheet. Offers a lot more ingenuity and makes space for angles. Good engine, tracks back... etc. Don't get that from our big names. I think if he starts to see himself as a regular he will iron out the occasional one-touch-too-many-then-is-dispossessed moment that at the moment is my only whinge.

Great result for England. Hopefully considering the way we rode our luck like f*** in the last five minutes everyone will stay calm and realise we have pulled off a great underdog result but it does not make us the f***ing boys quite yet. Brilliant that we had so many youngsters given some time though.

The biggest fault with England is complacency imo. REALLY ingrained complacency. I think the old guard do TRY to shake off their sense of entitlement to play / complacency in general... but I just think it has become so much a flaw in some of our big names that it is near-impossible to eradicate when they are all playing. You know who I am talking about. With the new faces knocking on the door I am slightly optimistic about England in general which I haven't been since the Germans scored their f***ing fourth f***ing goal.

All completely spot on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Football is spelt F....O....

Can someone else take over in a bit? I've only got about 30 mins spare.

When we didn't have the ball, we organised ourselves PERFECTLY.

I stand by my comments, but you are one easy person to wind up. Now, let's have a virtual hand shake and each go and have a fun Saturday evening.

LRB77

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
We'd go out 1/4's.

Did a number tonight , the commitment was good but lets be real here, we got a bit lucky

If they got 2 goals last 2 mins , people would be moaning about how we cant keep ball etc.

Fine line

Bit lucky I agree. And yes it is a fine line. But we did well to restrict the best international side to limited chances.

Although Fabregas should of scored.

Never mind the bolloxs well done England, and f*** you isn't everything about european tippy tappy football better than ours brigade, like the Euro it is on the blink.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Means diddly squat,wait till next year for the all too familiar tail in the Euros.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Back it up with a good attacking performance v Sweden and it will start to look better.

Hopefully Walcott and Downing will not get near the next team as well

LRB77

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
Back it up with a good attacking performance v Sweden and it will start to look better.

Hopefully Walcott and Downing will not get near the next team as well

Walcott is a good option from the bench. Downing is terrible! How much did Liverpool pay for him?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Walcott is a good option from the bench. Downing is terrible! How much did Liverpool pay for him?

Downing is very good at league level. He just doesn't have enough internationally. Walcott hasn't improved since he was 16. yes he's quick, but so f***ing what? He just doesn't think like a footballer.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
All 11 players singing Anthem for a change.

See what happens when you get 11 players with enough passion to sing the National anthem. Rooney can f*** right off.

Albion Rob

Nice to see a bit of commitment and to see the younger and less experienced players able to give it a go without Terry and Rooney bellowing at them.

Obviously we're not the best side in the world and we don't have many brillianty players but I won't complain if we're a bit limited as long as we give it a good go next summer and with a bit of luck you never know, maybe a shot at the quarters or semis might be a decent rewward for a workmanlike squad.

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
My opinion for what its worth is that the best players "on paper" do not necessarily make the best team.
The mix was about right tonight , youth , desire and experience.
When we play all the big guns , the balance of the side aint right , kinda lopsided ?
No doubt come the start of the Euro's , we will play all the big guns and fail miserably , i hope im proved wrong and Cappello takes something from tonights effort.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I reckon that that was a pretty good performance tonight, didn't buckle in the first twenty minutes or so when the Spanish pretty much controlled the ball, or in the last fifteen when it was like the Alamo. As mentioned above, Lescott and Parker were pretty damn good tonight...think the comments about Walcott are a bit unfair and thought that his decision making showed far more maturity than it has in the past, great tackle near the corner flag to stop a Spanish attack as well.

It was good that our players managed to distance themselves during that barmy five to ten minutes when the Spanish started to go agricultural, if Rooney had been on the pitch it is hard to see him not flying in with a double footer in retribution, don't think that we really missed him tonight either...we looked balanced without the unbalanced!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here