Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England vs Spain *** Official Match Thread ***

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Start watching tiddlywinks, try having a bit of pride.

I would rather watch tiddlywinks than England in a major tournament.Next summer will be no different from the last 6.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Is that Spain's first defeat in 2 years or so?

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
We shouldnt get carried away by that. What strikes you is the English players inability to retain possession. Watching Brighton does make you appreciate defenders who are happy with the ball. Poyet would have been going mad. Neither centre back appeared to want the ball off the goalkeeper. So it was hit long to the lone forward who is not that good at holding the ball. However, once past that line of pressing Spanish forwards the midfield was often empty and England were on to their back four. (But you dont know how much work they put into that and whether Capello just told them to whack it into the other half if they got possession. Cant see that somehow.)

Marvellous defensive performance though and something to build on. Parker now the first name on the teamsheet.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I didn't watch it, don't really care for international football but what was the score then, how many did England lose by?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't watch it, don't really care for international football but what was the score then, how many did England lose by?

I can't see what is funny about this, maybe I missed the set up earlier in the thread.

Assuming, then, that this is a serious question, England won, 1-0 Lampard following up a Bent header that hit the post (drawing the goalkeeper out of position) and bounced back across the face of the goal (may have gone in anyway, but lampard was there to stoop and nod it in). A lot of pressure from spain in the last25 minutes, they hit the post, side netting, went wide, england were organised and strong, if not particularly attractive with flowing football and managed to hold on. Scott Parker was man of the match, lescott got some praise too.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Scott Parker was man of the match, lescott got some praise too.

Jagielka and Lampard also had good games...to be fair, there wasn't an Englishman on the pitch who wasn't deserving of their cap.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I can't see what is funny about this, maybe I missed the set up earlier in the thread.

Assuming, then, that this is a serious question, England won, 1-0 Lampard following up a Bent header that hit the post (drawing the goalkeeper out of position) and bounced back across the face of the goal (may have gone in anyway, but lampard was there to stoop and nod it in). A lot of pressure from spain in the last25 minutes, they hit the post, side netting, went wide, england were organised and strong, if not particularly attractive with flowing football and managed to hold on. Scott Parker was man of the match, lescott got some praise too.

A fine summary. Nobody thinks England are better than spain because they're not. However Spain are by far the best team in the world at the moment. It is something to build on but it's a shame England cannot win. Beat the World Champions and still get negative shit. That win was for the real fans who stuck by their country (in footballing terms of course.)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I only dipped in and out of this match, but everytime I was watching, Spain had the ball. In my longest period of watching (the ten mins before half time) it was getting embarrassing. But in the end, when you're on top you do have to put the ball in the net, and somehow Spain didn't do that.

Spain are awesome but not infallable. Incredibly ordinary sides like England and Switzerland have beaten them, as well as a decent one like Argentina - all in the past 15 months. However, I think we all know that Spain would beat England nine times out of ten, but fair play to Capello for getting them organised.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:lolol: what a twat. Spain are miles better than England, so if we can get a win by playing defensively, give credit where it's due. If Wolves beat Man U are you going to criticise them for being defensive?

I repeat, what a twat.

The way England played maybe Bolton is a better example?

Personally, my interest in the England team is minimal now, last years World Cup was the final nail but you've got to give credit where it's due. I watched it because it was on in the pub and have to say that England defended well, looked organised without possession and although Spain were by far the better side the record books will always say, England 1 Spain 0.

So it's a big "well done" from me.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
However, I think we all know that Spain would beat England nine times out of ten, but fair play to Capello for getting them organised.

I think if Capello can get the team playing like that but with the likes of Young, Wilshere and Rooney in it then we're getting somewhere. Young in for Walcott, Wilshere in for Lamps and Rooney up top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here