Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Vs Bulgaria - bothered?

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, I care. Mind you I'm used to it. I'm 53 and apart from one little hiccup in 1966 we've been shit (or at best merely 'ok') all my life. Even before '66 we were shit - check out England's international record from 1950 onwards and it's a list of failures and disappointments. Before every tournament it was always the same: "we've got the best players, we're gonna win this!" Then afterwards it was: "What the f*** happened? Sack the manager!" (Sometimes of course we'd get to this stage before the finals themselves as we'd have failed to get through the qualifying group).

You just have to accept that as a nation we're collectively not very good at football. I don't know why, but we aren't. Yes we can produce good individuals, but when they all get together something happens, some sort of 'English disease' sweeps over us and above a certain level of expectation we perform like rabbits in headlights. I think it was Bill Shankly used to say you needed three Scotsmen in your team or you wouldn't win anything - any more and you had a problem. I'm beginning to think the same applies to Englishmen.

We were far from shit in 1970, we lost to W. Germany due to a bad substitution and a very nervous stand-in keeper.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Yeah I'm not that bothered about it, more of a pain in the arse that ruining the Seagulls games, i used to think National team most important but we got a bunch of players who just not good enough or choose to not be good enough and i expect us to lose today.
I will properly watch the game but like someone else already said really got disillusioned with England, if they players not going to care why should we.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All those who are "not interested" and "not bothered" about tonights game - how bothered will you be if we fail to make it to the Finals in 2012 ?

There'll be some of you having a RIGHT old whinge-up then.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All those who are "not interested" and "not bothered" about tonights game - how bothered will you be if we fail to make it to the Finals in 2012 ?

There'll be some of you having a RIGHT old whinge-up then.
It's the Euros, not the WC, so personally I won't be that bothered at all. I struggle to get enthusiastic for this tournament to be honest.

No doubt I'd comment on here about how shit we are though, what with it being a message board and all that.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The thing is, I expect us to get to the finals, I dont expect much more...why will it be different then to what he have had in the last 45 years with numerous managers!

I think people are just fed up with the "this will be our tournament" and turns into Deja vu where we simply cannot play as a team.

Arguably based on the last world cup, USA and Ghana are better than England!

Why, as they have team work and solidarity!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's the Euros, not the WC, so personally I won't be that bothered at all. I struggle to get enthusiastic for this tournament to be honest.

No doubt I'd comment on here about how shit we are though, what with it being a message board and all that.

Sure its not as big and important as the World Cup, but its still a tournament, and is still a considerable feather in the cap for whoever wins. This country would go NUTS if we won the Euros (just look at the feelgood factor from Euro 96). Do I want a bit of that in 2012 ? HELL YES.

I dunno how people can be so indifferent about it. Yes, ok, we were shite again at this years WC, and the players let us down big time. But that doesn't dampen my desire to see England go and WIN something in my lifetime.

I can't let the disdain I hold for SOME of the England players taint my overall support for England. I'm still desperate to see us win something.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yep bothered and will be watching, a summer in 2012 without a major tournament will hurt big style. Personally not fussed by performance as long as we win but if win with style the papers (especially the Sun) will hate it so that will be an added bonus

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep bothered and will be watching, a summer in 2012 without a major tournament will hurt big style. Personally not fussed by performance as long as we win but if win with style the papers (especially the Sun) will hate it so that will be an added bonus
I don't think it will. I was pissed off that we didn't qualify for 2008 but the tournament went on without England and it wasn't long before we realised we'd have had no chance even if we had qualified.

The WC is a totally different beast though (IMO). We simply HAVE to get there.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Umm, might postpone washing my hair and watch the game...what time does it start?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I am bothered, I hope we win, and win well. But I don't know if I can be arsed to watch it! I love the national team, but recently they don't have the inspiration that they once did. The players and manager (and the FA) have let the nation down. They can't expect everyone to suddenly forget they dashed our hopes at the World Cup, and played without any feeling.

Will I watch it, probably. Will I moan at ITV's coverage yes. Will I be pleased if we win, yes.

Come on England.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Doesn't matter what manager we have we still fail:mad:
The players don't seem to have the passion or desire,maybe they just are seriously overrated end of.

I don't blame capello as he seemed to discipline players well,i think the players ego's are out of control.I reckon we should knock the lot of them on the head and build a solid young side for the future.:thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't understand the abuse of Capello, it was an unprecedented qualifying campaign, and we've had easier groups than that in the past. He didn't ask his captain to sleep with his team mates girl, neither did he ask his squad to turn into the biggest bunch of spoilt pre-madonna's the world has ever seen.

Frank Lampard holds a world title though: most shots in a world cup finals without a goal. 2 world cups, 9 matches he has managed 40 shots without netting (he achieved the record even before the goal that wasn't!).

Whoever manages these overpaid, overhyped idiots is on a hiding to nothing. Not good enough. Until our PE teachers in every school have at least a few days proper coaching courses to achieve certain levels, we will not produce footballers. We will continue to produce right backs, centre halves, centre forwards. By the age of 12 most youngsters are assigned a position and that's it. All the kids that have matured quickly and grown tall will get in the school team, the Iniesta's and Xavi's of this world will be missed.

We place Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, John Terry, Gareth Barry as if they are 'World Class' and they are simply not. They are decent premiership footballers and that's about it.

When John Terry came out in a press conference at the World Cup, the same man who turned the team upside down, to demand certain players should be playing, well, we reached a new low. I'd have sent him home there and then. Can you imagine Sir Alf Ramsey, Jock Stein, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly accepting a playing publicily undermining the manager? A complete joke. That camp was split down the middle with petty cliques, and over inflated ego's.

I had forgotten it was on tonight. I'll probably watch, but my heart won't be in it until the players start behaving like professionals and not spoilt teenagers!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
We're at a low point, probably the lowest I can remember. But despite the shower of SHIT they were in the summer, I definitely still care.

Bottom line for me is that I most certainly WANT us involved in Euro 2012. There's nothing worse than a major tournament coming up that we're not even involved in. Even if (as usual) we're garbage and stink the place out, I'd still rather have that than no involvement at all. So yes, I'll be watching tonight. And yes, I'll be pulling for us to win.

Plus we've got the likes of Joe Hart, Adam Johnson, James Milner and Theo Walcott, and (but for injury) WOULD have had Bobby in the team - I'm really hoping they're going to step up to the plate over the next 2 years and start giving us a team to be proud of again.

COME ON ENGLAND.

This

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

Really? I'm surprised at that. Yes, it's not the World Cup but it's only slightly less prestigious for me.

Having said that the only two tournaments I give a toss about in world sport are the World Cup and the Euros.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here