Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Vs Bulgaria - bothered?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
We had a bad few games at the WC where it mattered yes

This is it isn't? Unfortunately England served up the shit at the business end of the competition. It's incredibly easy to do. Once every four years, a few games to make a difference, it can go either way. It didn't go our way.

The only thing it highlighted from my point of view again as an England fan is we often lack the necessary technical ability when it's needed.

I read an interview with Wenger recently (who I think is always very positive/supportive of English football) and he was banging on about coaching in this country and how that needed to be improved.

It seems we lag way behind most other football nations in this respect but all people bang on and on about is CARING and PASSION. I find the idea that Wayne Rooney (who as a manc I've got to dislike) doesn't care about playing for England laughable. Bollocks, if I may.

Thank f*** I'm half Spanish:thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This is it isn't? Unfortunately England served up the shit at the business end of the competition. It's incredibly easy to do. Once every four years, a few games to make a difference, it can go either way. It didn't go our way.

The only thing it highlighted from my point of view again as an England fan is we often lack the necessary technical ability when it's needed.

I read an interview with Wenger recently (who I think is always very positive/supportive of English football) and he was banging on about coaching in this country and how that needed to be improved.

It seems we lag way behind most other football nations in this respect but all people bang on and on about is CARING and PASSION. I find the idea that Wayne Rooney (who as a manc I've got to dislike) doesn't care about playing for England laughable. Bollocks, if I may.

Thank f*** I'm half Spanish:thumbsup:

And one of the best managers in the world has also been judged on those few games - sadly it's the way it is. People forget the umpteen wins in qualifying etc. f*** it I wouldn't give a shit if we were Scotland I'd still follow them with 100% passion / commitment.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is no-one else sick to the back teeth of the f***ing press/public and the glee in which they attack Cappelo and the England team?

We had a bad world cup. Ho hum. How is that some sort of shocking national disgrace?

Really, how is it??

We didn't even qualify in 94 and we're certainly not the only team to not live up to our 'reputation'.

I think this is where arrogance really shines out with England fans. It's football, it often doesn't go quite they way you want/expect it.

I don't buy the passion bollocks either. I think every one of those players who went to SA wanted to be there and wanted to play for England, they just didn't have the technique, or, Rooney being the best example, lost it. That's also the nature of football, anyone who has played even a little knows that sometimes your touch just deserts you.

I'm watching tonight and I really really hope Cappelo sticks it to the English press who time and time again are a f***ing disgrace to England.

and that's my rant
Henry Winter is a tiresome bore when it comes to Capello, and there are plenty of others all too willing to put the boot in to a man who has certainly had his faults but shouldn't be shouldering ALL of the blame.

In any case, I really don't need a hack to tell me what to think. I for one am not angry, just decidedly underwhelmed by the whole England international bandwagon for lots of reasons. I'll name some of them:

- Certain senior players...
* don't bother with friendlies and make silly excuses not to play
* are already paid far too much to show such flippancy
* are so stupid that they believe their own hype
* whine when people boo them but absolutely lap it up when that same crowd cheer for them
* are actually downright unpleasant
- Wembley. Meh. Overpriced and apparently souless. Should have been built in the midlands at a fraction of the price.
- The FA. Utterly clueless. We have a tenth of qualified coaches that Germany have. All other major footballing nations have far more qualified coaches than we do. Does anyone seriously believe the FA will do anything to reverse the trend of England producing players who are little more than overpaid chavs who think they're brilliant but in truth aren't all that?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
20 years for Germany!
44 years - when England last won something

That's how long it has taken Germany to develop and get into place their current crop of, it has to be said, a very promising and young side whom I think may be challenging for the next world cup and or the Euro's!

England is all about the three lions, getting stuck in, a captain, passion and attack, technical ability is not something that comes into the equation and until we start developing and training our youngsters at schoolboy and academy level, we will continue to be disappointed!

In Brazil, warm up sessions are football tricks minus the boots (teckers now I think they are known as) whereas in England they run around the pitch 20 times ???

The game? I wont be watching, have better things to do as nothing will change, if we win they will be the nations future, any other result they will get slated and told on every newpaper how useless they are!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So the papers say, so it must be true.

The guy was on a hiding to nothing coming to manage England. The media are always just ITCHING to turn on the England manager and portray him as some kind of buffoon the very first chance they get. Its so boringly predictable.

Fact is, this bloke has had unbroken success everywhere he has managed. Everywhere. The first abject failure he has had as a manager is when he has worked with the english. Yet HE is the one who is apparently the idiot ?

That tells you more about our players, and our press, than it does Capello.

He shows no signs of learning from it though does he...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He shows no signs of learning from it though does he...
What on earth are you talking about? Since the WC, we've played one game.

You've made your mind up on Capello. If we get to the semis in the next tournament, you will still remain unconvinced.

Wake up and smell the coffee, it's time to realise that no manager has the ability to polish a TURD.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
He sort of reworked the squad against Hungary, but with the injury of Bobby, it is starting to resemble the same squad as the WC. It's good the young 'uns are being brought up, like Gibbs, Walcott, Johnson et al. but the core of the squad is similar, and would be the same if it wasn't for Terry and Lampard being out too.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
What on earth are you talking about? Since the WC, we've played one game.

You've made your mind up on Capello. If we get to the semis in the next tournament, you will still remain unconvinced.

Wake up and smell the coffee, it's time to realise that no manager has the ability to polish a TURD.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee your as blind and unable to change as much a Capello is.

If Lampard and Terry had been fit today, we would have basically the same starting 11 than at the world cup. a 4-4-2 formation with Gerrard on the left..

Is that learning.. ?

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
You need to wake up and smell the coffee your as blind and unable to change as much a Capello is.

If Lampard and Terry had been fit today, we would have basically the same starting 11 than at the world cup. a 4-4-2 formation with Gerrard on the left..

Is that learning.. ?

I think he should have persuaded Heskey not to retire and stuck with him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Is that learning.. ?

Yes, learning from the previous qualification period where it worked to great effect.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Is that learning.. ?
He's just picking what he thinks is his best team isn't he?

I should clarify that my main issue is that blaming this manager is really not the answer. I want to see the FA actually do something about the problems that underpin our lack of success. I'm fed up of cheering for chavvy overpaid pricks with overinflated opinions of themselves, so for now, I'm not going to.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He's just picking what he thinks is his best team isn't he?

I should clarify that my main issue is that blaming this manager is really not the answer. I want to see the FA actually do something about the problems that underpin our lack of success. I'm fed up of cheering for chavvy overpaid pricks with overinflated opinions of themselves, so for now, I'm not going to.

Ah, now were agreeing on something.

The best team as far as he is concerned is not good enough though, and it certainly wont be any better in 2 years at Euro 2012 if we get there..

Id love to see a side with Hart, Wilshere, Gibbs, A Johnson, Walcott, Rooney, Rodwell, etc in it. In a 4-5-1 formation or 4-3-3 whatever way you look at it.

I think we have tons of young talent thats plenty good enough to win things coming through, but they need to be picked.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was watching an old soccer programme on Sky this week and Rodney Marsh was talking about the night before an England match in the 1970s.

Don Revie had apparently told the team they were to be in their rooms by 10pm, and Marsh decided to sneak out with his roommate to visit George Best's nightclub nearby. Apparently, they got into the club only to be greeted by practically the whole squad who had had the same idea. They all proceeded to get pissed.

Not much has changed in 35 years...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hart

Johnson P.Jones Rodwell Gibbs

Walcott Huddlestone Wilshere A Johnson

Gerrard

Rooney

Play it for a year and see waht happens

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
I'll be watching and hoping that we win. Have definitely been more optimistic about England over the years though. I do hope he plays 4-5-1!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here